Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Want better low end performance, try this! It's free!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-14, 02:20 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
I did it 2 days ago and I like it. The hard downshift is just mildly annoying but I will easily get used to it. I'm no mechanic but it feels like it's my roasted diff bushings allowing my diff to rock causing the knock? I wonder how new diff bushings, motor mounts, tranny mounts would effect this. Would the more solid drivetrain transfer more shock, or would the lack of flex make things smoother because it's tight? I am also considering the switch and would also like to know for sure if I have to stop the car or turn off the car to safely switch it? Whats a super cool switch I could buy?
I have a pretty noticeable jolt on the 2-1 downshift. I don't know how worn my transmission mount is, but my new one should be arriving tomorrow... I do know that my differential-subframe bushings are very worn, but I'm unsure of the bushings for the diff's ears. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who's done the solenoid bypass that has before/after bushing replacement comparison points.

I'm in the middle of building a new stereo head unit mount, with a space below it for switches. I have the panel cut and the bracing mostly ready to go together, but I need to pull the old one out to make sure the angles are all correct before permanently securing pieces. I scavenged some old server hardware for nice little toggle switches complete with convenient disconnects. One will be for the solenoid bypass, and the other unused for now but maybe a hardwired radar detector or something later.

I was originally looking for a 30mm latching push button to replace the stock stereo's power/volume button (seemed appropriate!), but could only find momentary switches in that size. I don't want something needlessly illuminated, so latching is necessary in order to know when it's on or off without cycling through it to feel the difference.

Didn't OldManTan confirm earlier in the thread that you can toggle the bypass on the fly?
Old 09-19-14, 02:49 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
I have a pretty noticeable jolt on the 2-1 downshift. I don't know how worn my transmission mount is, but my new one should be arriving tomorrow... I do know that my differential-subframe bushings are very worn, but I'm unsure of the bushings for the diff's ears. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who's done the solenoid bypass that has before/after bushing replacement comparison points.

I'm in the middle of building a new stereo head unit mount, with a space below it for switches. I have the panel cut and the bracing mostly ready to go together, but I need to pull the old one out to make sure the angles are all correct before permanently securing pieces. I scavenged some old server hardware for nice little toggle switches complete with convenient disconnects. One will be for the solenoid bypass, and the other unused for now but maybe a hardwired radar detector or something later.

I was originally looking for a 30mm latching push button to replace the stock stereo's power/volume button (seemed appropriate!), but could only find momentary switches in that size. I don't want something needlessly illuminated, so latching is necessary in order to know when it's on or off without cycling through it to feel the difference.

Didn't OldManTan confirm earlier in the thread that you can toggle the bypass on the fly?
yes i did. haven't had any problems with switching it while driving or anything. works great still, have a little rocker switch in the glove box switch it on from time to time when i feel like going faster. it's the greatest free mod you can do on the car.
Old 09-19-14, 04:20 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Here's the toggle switch I'll be using. It's got a much more secure feel to it than any of the ones I've looked at in the auto parts stores, although even the cheap ones I've used in the past are quite reliable. I would prefer a screw-in one than the snap-in style, but those really limit the options and the snaps on this one are incredibly stout.
Attached Thumbnails Want better low end performance, try this! It's free!-p1010164-pc-toggle-switch.jpg  
Old 09-24-14, 05:07 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

I installed a toggle switch this week to enable or disable the solenoid bypass on the fly. Being able to do quick A/B comparisons, it's amazing how much of a difference it makes. I was able to impress a passenger with both forceful acceleration and luxury smoothness.
Old 09-26-14, 10:00 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
The hard downshift is just mildly annoying but I will easily get used to it. I'm no mechanic but it feels like it's my roasted diff bushings allowing my diff to rock causing the knock? I wonder how new diff bushings, motor mounts, tranny mounts would effect this. Would the more solid drivetrain transfer more shock, or would the lack of flex make things smoother because it's tight?
I put in a new transmission mount today and tested things with and without the A/T solenoid bypass. I'd say the new mount cuts the hard 2-1 downshift by about 50%. At times, it feels closer to 80%, but at other times it's almost as noticeable as before. I think the degree of the thud is dependent on a few factors such as rate of slowing and if you come to a stop around that point, as opposed to letting off the brake. The thud is going to be there regardless, as a result of the 4th solenoid not doing its thing to smooth out the downshift, but it definitely is minimized by a fresh transmission mount. I see no reason to believe new differential bushings wouldn't improve it further.
Old 10-23-14, 03:39 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I put in a new transmission mount today and tested things with and without the A/T solenoid bypass. I'd say the new mount cuts the hard 2-1 downshift by about 50%. At times, it feels closer to 80%, but at other times it's almost as noticeable as before. I think the degree of the thud is dependent on a few factors such as rate of slowing and if you come to a stop around that point, as opposed to letting off the brake. The thud is going to be there regardless, as a result of the 4th solenoid not doing its thing to smooth out the downshift, but it definitely is minimized by a fresh transmission mount. I see no reason to believe new differential bushings wouldn't improve it further.
That is awesome! Thanks for reporting back!
Old 10-24-14, 09:46 AM
TyStephens
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate to be that guy.. But im pretty sure my upshift "Thud" is worse when I have the solenoid on!

I to have it on a toggle and I so far switching it on the fly doesn't seem to be having an adverse effects. I do however smell ether brakes or clutch. It could be brakes as ive been pretty hard on them since this mod Anyone else experience this?

"Comment Mostly to stay updated in thread"
Old 10-30-14, 07:14 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Today, I discovered that I have significantly more torque than traction in wet weather with the solenoid bypass. I accelerated moderately aggressively from a light...and went nowhere. I'm guessing that's why they added the 4th solenoid, to make the car less unpredictable with all that torque immediately available.
Old 11-01-14, 09:39 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Today, I discovered that I have significantly more torque than traction in wet weather with the solenoid bypass. I accelerated moderately aggressively from a light...and went nowhere. I'm guessing that's why they added the 4th solenoid, to make the car less unpredictable with all that torque immediately available.
automatic tranny burn outs ))))))) i almost lit some leaves on fire coming out of my parking at work lol, tires were smoking like crazy and leaves flying everywhere (there was a huge pile because it was really windy)
Old 03-28-15, 08:27 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Has anyone had any success with the OBD2 version WITHOUT getting a CEL?
Old 03-29-15, 12:32 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Has anyone had any success with the OBD2 version WITHOUT getting a CEL?
Not that I know of. The question has been asked a few times and I don't recall seeing an answer to it.
Old 03-29-15, 12:38 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Which code does it throw? Couldn't I just wire a resistor or something to trick it?
Old 03-29-15, 04:31 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Which code does it throw? Couldn't I just wire a resistor or something to trick it?
No idea, since I'm OBDI. It wouldn't surprise me if you could fool it once determining what signal it's expecting. Someone has to dive in first...
Old 03-31-15, 01:05 PM
Kris9884
Racer

No idea, since I'm OBDI. It wouldn't surprise me if you could fool it once determining what signal it's expecting. Someone has to dive in first...
Well, guess that'll be me. I'll see what I can come up with this weekend.
Old 04-19-15, 06:33 PM
Grkgrlcop8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sc300 starting issues right after you turn off the car

Hi y'all ,
I have been having an issue with my sc300. And the mechanic can not figure it out. Hope some one has info.

Well, I was driving on the highway, and came to a toll booth and needed the I-Pass. Well it was locked in my glove box. So I shut off the car , (due to needing the key to unlock the glove box) so any who, I go to start it up and it wouldn't start. I sat there for 5 minute with angry drivers behind me. After the 5 minutes , it started right up. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Want better low end performance, try this! It's free!