Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

adjusting new clutch and throw out bearing noise

Old 07-21-08, 04:53 PM
93sc3005sp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default adjusting new clutch and throw out bearing noise

i finnaly finished my clutch install yesterday[competition stage 4] and boy is it a grabby clutch, anyway i think i need to adjust the clutch because when i have the clutch pedal to the floor, i need to only lift up about a quarter inch and the clutch is almost fully engaged and while driving im feeling a lot of vibrations on the clutch pedal where there is a litle play, not when i step on it. last thing is the car is quiet when i start, but after driving ang getting everything warm, the throw out bearing is pretty loud, sounds like i have a noisy valvetrain until i press the clutch pedal in the litleist bit, it stops thanks in advance
Old 07-22-08, 12:03 PM
93sc3005sp
Pole Position

bump to the top
Old 07-23-08, 01:59 AM
Mattmannz
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be able to adjust the travel of the clutch at the pedal, I don't have a manual SC300 so I don't know for sure but most vehicles have an adjustment point there.

Did you fit a new release bearing? The bearing should be silent all the time - noise means that it's due for replacement.

Matt.
Old 07-23-08, 05:41 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=365757

post #4 i posted a diagram to adjust the clutch. To do that you need to remove the lower dash panel (6 screws), then remove the wiring to the underpanel light (twist out of socket), the diagnostic port (again, twist out) and another plug i think it was another diagnostic port (this one is cliped in). Now comes the hard part. You have to loosen the lock nut to the pedal height to adjust that first (14mm). Then remove the wires hooked up to the end of the long screw and twist it around until you have just a little play left in the clutch pedal (about half an inch according to the manual) or until you have it where you like it. Took me about an hour and a half on a hot 90 degree day and i also removed the front seat for some more wiggle room, but it shouldn't take any longer than that.

As for the throwout bearing, it shouldn't make any noise unless the old one was reused or the clutch is out of alignment. might have to drop the tranny again to service it. Good luck!
Old 07-23-08, 09:22 AM
93sc3005sp
Pole Position

the funny thing is that it only makes noise after i have driven it for a while, otherwise its quiet when cold, while under their, i replaced the throwout and pilot bearing
Old 07-24-08, 12:59 PM
deruvian
Driver

I replaced the throwout and pilot bearings when I did my clutch just a few weeks ago, and it has been making a noise very similar to yours ever since. I'm quite sure it's the throwout bearing... probably just cheap manufacturing, as I used the one that came with my clutch kit (SPEC stage 2).

I have adjusted the clutch pedal several times since the install, and the noise hasn't gone away (I was hoping that the clutch might not be 100% engaged, leaving room for the throwout bearing to move a bit and "squeek"). At this point in time my plan is to continue driving on the bearings that were installed, and if the noise doesn't clear up after 3,000 miles or so I am going to buy Toyota bearings and replace them again. With any luck they will be of much better build quality than the SPEC bearings and won't make that damn noise.

Good luck, and be sure to reply here if you get that noise to go away!
Old 07-24-08, 08:06 PM
dumdumgreg
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by StiCk3
[url] (about half an inch according to the manual)
so the manual says 1/2" before it starts engaging?

I recall when I first go my car, the factory setting was like 2" off the floor before it started engaging...
maybe mine was off
Old 07-24-08, 08:42 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dumdumgreg
so the manual says 1/2" before it starts engaging?

I recall when I first go my car, the factory setting was like 2" off the floor before it started engaging...
maybe mine was off
Yes the range the manual says should be between 1/2" to 1" i should have been more specific. Mine was about 2.5" before i went and adjusted it down to about 1/2 an inch, any less and the clutch will start slipping like mine did.

EDIT: correction, manual calls for 5-15mm free play (.197"-.591").

Last edited by StiCk3; 07-25-08 at 05:33 AM.