Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

A/C pressure drop

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-08, 12:24 PM
neodymium
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C pressure drop

A short history first: I bought my SC sept 07 and the AC has not worked since due to a low amount of R12 - no codes, the compressor would kick on and all, just not enough refrigerant. I just had the system charged with Icor "Hot Shot" about 2 weeks ago and everything has been gravy. I drove my car a few nights past and come out the next morning (no more than 4 hours later) and the air is warm as ****. The compressor won't engage and I read code 23 from the display. When I poked the high side valve it barely hissed louder than a baby snake. So nearly all of the refrigerant has managed to escape from somewhere.

So, I'm getting a leak test done to see what blew and my question is:
Is there any weak spot that would most likely be the cause?
I just want to know if there is anything I should be looking out for.
Thanks
PS, I put a half hour in searching
Old 07-22-08, 07:47 PM
neodymium
Rookie

I found that the leak was in my EPR, or evaporator pressure regulator. The component is labeled in my manual but there is nothing regarding removal/installation or any information in general about this part. Is the removal as straight forward as it appears?
Old 07-24-12, 02:48 PM
bmatic01
Driver School Candidate

I went to Pep Boys a couple weeks ago and they told me i had a leak ing my EPR (Evaporator Pressure Regulator) Lines. Those are the rails that connect to the drier unit. This die that they ran through the system had not gotten pass that point because the leak started there. The EPR line from the dealer was priced for me at $703 and the drier was priced at $70. The messed up part about this is that they have to run the test again to see if there is a leak beyond that point. If there is then another part will have to be replaced. This can be very costly. Luckily for my sc300 it has sentimental value to me so I don't mind fixing this problem.
Old 07-24-12, 02:52 PM
bmatic01
Driver School Candidate

I dont know if it may be easy or not but judging from another post with pics that someone posted doing it step after step. it doesn't seem like an easy job. If you are knowledgable on car A/C then it may be easy but it doesn't seem as simple as it looks.