Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Cast Iron Manifolds?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-08, 01:58 PM
Tony320
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cast Iron Manifolds?

I've been searching around for a cast iron log style manifold for the 2jzge, but I have had very little luck. I have seen quite a few for the 2jzgte on ebay and whatnot, but not a one for the 'ge.

I know toyomoto made them, but the ones I have found seem a bit on the pricey side. Wouldn't a cast iron unit be relatively easy to manufacture and therefore relatively cheap? I mean, a tubular ss manifold requires bending and welding whereas a cast unit is poured into a mold.

Does anyone know where to find a cast iron turbo manifold?

Der... forgot about the dave h manifolds... although I'm not sure it really qualifies as a log style, and I'm pretty sure its welded together.

Last edited by Tony320; 07-08-08 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Forgot about Dave H
Old 07-08-08, 03:38 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turbonetics sells one for about $500, at least that what i saw on ebay awhile back...
Old 07-08-08, 03:58 PM
Jay-Spec
Driver

sorry guys if this is a stupid question,, but why a cast iron manifold? how could that be better than the aluminium ones? let alone I think I ever seen a cast iron manifold since the muscle car v8
Old 07-08-08, 09:27 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay-Spec
sorry guys if this is a stupid question,, but why a cast iron manifold? how could that be better than the aluminium ones? let alone I think I ever seen a cast iron manifold since the muscle car v8
aluminium manifolds ? never heard of that before..it'll melt right off i think...lol
Old 07-09-08, 02:28 AM
AztecSN95
Pole Position

I thought I remembered seeing one that Treadstone Performance sold a while ago, but they don't have one listed on their site so I must be mistaken
Old 07-09-08, 07:08 AM
Tony320
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jay-Spec
Log manifolds tend to spool faster but will produce less power overall. Cast iron log because it can be manufactured as a single piece w/o the need for a weld, making it less prone to leaking than a tubular SS header style. Typically, these manifolds would be cheaper but it seems that this is not so with the 22jge.

Unless of course, I am misinformed.
Old 03-02-09, 09:39 PM
Gspec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead, but i'm also having a hard time finding a cast manifold for the 2jzge. I originally planned to use a Full-Race manifold like I did on my last build, but the price for their 2jz manifold is just ridiculous.

I cant find anything on the old F-max manifolds....Turbonectics bought them out years ago, but even they do not list one on their site.

Toyomoto sounds like it fits and works well, but is unavailable seperatly from the kit? (If its still made....site seems to be down)

Treadstone only makes one for the GTE, (not that I wanted to deal with them again after trying one of their SR20DET manifolds and it placing the turbo up my BMC's A**....

My hp goals are fairly modest, and I've had enough experience with cheaper, tubular manifolds to know better than waste my money. Full-Race is the only tubular manifold I would run, but the price vs my goals doesnt make it worth the $$ to me.

If you know of a company currently offering a cast manifold for the 2jzge, pls respond and let me know.... I'd actually prefer a T3 flanged mani, but can adapt if only available with a T4 footprint.
Old 03-04-09, 07:00 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Toyomoto cast manifold. But it was on the car when I got it. From the records it was put on in 2000. These are probably not really readily available since there are tons of manifolds from china now on the market. The cast manifold seems to make the turbo sit lower than some of the tubular ones i've seen and I have a small issue with the intake pipe fitting to close to the distributor. I'll send you a pic if you want.

PM Mkiv94tt
He had one for sale not that long ago. Ask him where he got his. You might get lucky.
Old 03-04-09, 07:42 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Usually, a casted manifold can take a lot of abuse, however, a welded manifold with a proper material & welding can last as long as the casted one. If you have a welded manifold, make sure you brace it to the flange or the block, then it'll last forever.