Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc300 boil over but not overheating [long]

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-08, 08:54 PM
93sc3005sp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sc300 boil over but not overheating [long]

i drove my sc300 for a long time today and anyways opon arriving at my house, i turned the car off and as i was walking around the car i noticed all this water under the front of the car, so i popped the hood and noticed that the water was boiling over and spilling everywhere from the coolent resavor, note that the car did not overheat or anything but their were sounds of like bubbles, also the car didnt come with a coolent resavoir cap when i bought it, but i then i found it and put it on, it had a hose coming out of the top of it, so i just blocked it off with some tape, also i only have pure water in the cooling system, do i just need to properly burp the car from this pressure release valve thats like by the radiator? thanks in advance
Old 06-29-08, 10:16 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 93sc3005sp
i drove my sc300 for a long time today and anyways opon arriving at my house, i turned the car off and as i was walking around the car i noticed all this water under the front of the car, so i popped the hood and noticed that the water was boiling over and spilling everywhere from the coolent resavor, note that the car did not overheat or anything but their were sounds of like bubbles, also the car didnt come with a coolent resavoir cap when i bought it, but i then i found it and put it on, it had a hose coming out of the top of it, so i just blocked it off with some tape, also i only have pure water in the cooling system, do i just need to properly burp the car from this pressure release valve thats like by the radiator? thanks in advance
Although water cools bettern then antifreeze, you need to have coolant in your system, even if its just a little, it raises the boiling point. Secondly, replace your radiator cap, its pretty cheap to do, just get a regular OEM cap. Third, check the thermostat. Also, leave that hose on the overflow tank so it has somewhere to go to.
Old 06-29-08, 11:07 PM
gdc5ind
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

let your car warm up(NOT HOT) until the thermostat opens. open your radiator cap and fill your RAD. empty out your overflow two. and if your system is full then probably your thermostat itself (maybe a clog but not likely). also pinch your two large collent hoses when the car is running after thermostat is open to make sure the water is flowing....
Old 06-29-08, 11:13 PM
Steelwheel
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like your coolant system is not holding pressure. Probably the pressure cap. Without pressure, it boils (especially with water only since it has a slightly lower boiling point and better heat transfer). With good pressure, water only is fine when coupled with correct additives for chemistry/corrosion.

Good Luck,

Tim
Old 06-30-08, 04:17 PM
93sc3005sp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok so im going to get a new radiator cap and what should i do as far as the ccolent resavoir, does anybody know where that tube coming out of the cap goes? and as far as the bleeder valve, how should i use it? when the it hasnt been running ect thanks in advance