Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Only! Reply If You Have Done A 1/2jzgte Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-08, 11:48 AM
Henessey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Only! Reply If You Have Done A 1/2jzgte Swap

Sorry for the rude title, but Im tired of scouring the net for helpful facts about the 2jz or 1jz swap into an sc300. Ive got cash in hand ready to buy an sc and a motor but Im not dumb enough to do so without proper information. I/E, this is isnt my first rodeo. Ive dont many a mitsubishi twin turbo/awd swap, but no toyota.

From the usless posts around the internet ive gathered this, weather it be true or false im not sure;

There is a proper direction of the "sump" the motor must have.

I heard something about body clips?

the VVTI 1JZ is more extensive to install.

Front clips are almost neccessary instead of a motor/trans/ecu combo

thats about all ive got.

My question to YOU, (I define "you" as someone who themselves have installed or went through the process of a 1jz/2jzgte swap on thier SC300)
My questions are;

1. What is more plug and play, 1jz or 2jz? and dose the year of the new motor matter?
2. Will the intercoolers and piping swap right over, or will i need to go aftermaket/fmic off the bat?
3. Transmissions, If I have an auto sc300, do I keep the existing auto tranny and drop in the new motor, or is 5 speed from the soarer or aristo too much hastle?
4. If I have a 5speed sc300, can i swap over the new motor with my existing 5speed in place or must I take the new auto/manul tranny that comes with the 1j or 2j?
5. Ecu, Do i use the US harness with the JDM ECU? if not, what?
6. VVTI for the 1jz or not?
7. VVTI for the 2jz or not?
8. Lastly, what is the more desireable year for an sc300? I dont care about rarity, or newer. Im speaking performance advantage, do some years have stronger trannys, rear ends, brakes, whatever?

Thank you very much for thoose looking to help. I am just going to express this again because I dont want to waste my money because someone said something false. PLEASE ONLY POST INFORMATION IF YOU HAVE DONE THIS YOURSELF OR WENT THROUGH THE PROCESS! Even if you "HEARD" something in tghe swap was ok or possible please do not post if you havent done it. I really would NOT like to throw money in the garbage if its not necessary. I hate to sound so harsh but wouldnt you get angry if you heards something false and went and bought say a sc300 because some ininformed fool said "HE HEARD" that the sc300 block was the same as an RZ's without turbos? no im not that dumb but I also am stepping into new waters.

Sorry for the typing, im at work.

THANKS!

Last edited by Henessey; 06-20-08 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-20-08, 12:36 PM
trancuongv
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to welcome you to Club Lexus, but the information and questions you are asking is already been answered. I do not want to come off as being a smart *** or whatever but I would like to ask you to use the SEARCH button before others come in here and flame you. SEARCH is your friend.
Old 06-20-08, 12:38 PM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

what ?
Old 06-20-08, 12:40 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

1. What is more plug and play, 1jz or 2jz? and dose the year of the new motor matter?
1jzgte out of a soarer is plug and play, a 2jzGTE never came in the soarers so there is a little more involved.

2. Will the intercoolers and piping swap right over, or will i need to go aftermaket/fmic off the bat?
yeah if you have all the piping and intercooler, the stock soarer 1jz sidemount fits, i'm using it on my car.
3. Transmissions, If I have an auto sc300, do I keep the existing auto tranny and drop in the new motor, or is 5 speed from the soarer or aristo too much hastle?
if auto, use the soarer auto. if you buy a automatic soarer swap and your SC is a 5spd go ahead and use your w58 5spd.. you can find soarer 5spds they just normally cost a little more and you have to look around longer.
4. If I have a 5speed sc300, can i swap over the new motor with my existing 5speed in place or must I take the new auto/manul tranny that comes with the 1j or 2j?
didn't you just ask this?? if your SC is a 5spd, and your swap is a automatic, use your stock 5spd.
use all the jdm stuff that should come with your complete swap
no
no
8. Lastly, what is the more desireable year for an sc300? I dont care about rarity, or newer. Im speaking performance advantage, do some years have stronger trannys, rear ends, brakes, whatever?
i dunno i guess it would depend on what little things mean more to you, i believe 92-94 SC's are the most plug and play when doing a 1jz swap
Old 06-20-08, 02:08 PM
Henessey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aka paco
1jzgte out of a soarer is plug and play, a 2jzGTE never came in the soarers so there is a little more involved. yeah if you have all the piping and intercooler, the stock soarer 1jz sidemount fits, i'm using it on my car.
if auto, use the soarer auto. if you buy a automatic soarer swap and your SC is a 5spd go ahead and use your w58 5spd.. you can find soarer 5spds they just normally cost a little more and you have to look around longer.
didn't you just ask this?? if your SC is a 5spd, and your swap is a automatic, use your stock 5spd.
use all the jdm stuff that should come with your complete swap
no no i dunno i guess it would depend on what little things mean more to you, i believe 92-94 SC's are the most plug and play when doing a 1jz swap

I thank you VERY much for that info! I cant express that enough!

The 1jz you have how do you like it? if i recall the compression is 8:5:1?
Old 06-20-08, 07:47 PM
dunahoo
Pole Position

only if this was the Henessey of Hennessey Racing... i'd love to see an SC by him, but then again if it was "the Hennessey" then he wouldnt be asking these questions...
Old 07-07-08, 06:55 PM
sc1jzgte
Pole Position

FIRST- I went with my 92 sc300 5speed and swapped in with a soarer(front half - 1jzgte/auto - dont know year but it is the older style[you can tell by the valve cover, so it was probably about the same year as my car]
All the work myself and everything works OEM style...

the VVTI 1JZ is more extensive to install. - I hear that is correct

Front clips are almost neccessary instead of a motor/trans/ecu combo
[/I] I support this.... i got a front half, and there are tons of small crap like the map sensor, ignitor chip etc on the body you will want plus extras.... my front half came with dash and all from Jarco.

1jz, i cant confirm but my year was close to the same and it was pretty smooth, ive "read"
others having issues..

i used all the soarer piping and intercooler etc... Intercooler is good for about 400hp ive read

5speed from soarer... good luck finding that... best bet is r154 from MK3 supra info here.. buy r154, clutch, pressure plate, front half of drive shaft, master/slave cylinder, hub kit from 89 supra turbo - buy 1jz bellhousing, 1jz flywheel, tranny mount, and pedal setup all from www.driftmotion.com and you are good to go, you can even use the auto ecu still.

I kept my existing 5 speed, made it very straight forward... but then i blew the tranny. Ive read guys claim the w58 is good for up to 400hp and they daily drive... but my experience prooved otherwise. lasted less than a year. Also love that my cluster is for 5 speed(no auto lights, the interior console is set up for it, safety switch etc... better choice but pain in the *** to find)

Use the JDM ecu and harness with the clip

My opinion is the added improvement of a vvti is not worth the added head ache.... i havent experienced either so i dont really know.

same as above

honestly i think the best year to get is 97... right before the vvti, but mainly the reasons you dont care about, but they have the newer body, newer cluster lighting, auto headlights etc.... but what may interest you is the condition everytihng else is in. That is important, all the bushings and interior, just the integrity of the frame is better.

Also for notes... everything on my car works like OEM, i love that fact because we did my friends 240 and not much does and depending on the driver it can get irritating after time... the soarer half was not hard to make everything work, but i really recommend you make sure it is a soarer, not a chaser etc.. and you try to match the year.