Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My first SC. The horror

Old 06-16-08, 08:28 AM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first SC. The horror

So after getting my first SC4, a 93 that was sitting for 4 years i finally had some time to work on it this weekend. I had it sitting in the driveway for a week after i took delivery and decided to tear it apart to find out what was really wrong. After hours and hours or work, changing the out the fuel pump and sucking out 4yr old gas out the tank, on the first crank and she start right up and was i ecstatic.

so i proceded to make a list of things of i needed: wipers, new drive belt, some synthetic oil and treatment, rotors and new pads, possibly new timing belt and as far as i could tell she was in pretty good condition. Granted the oil was 4yrs old checked the level and let the car idle for also 2 hrs so the computer can relearn. i turned it off and check the level to be sure oil wasnt being burnt or anything and everything still looked ok. I got brave and took the car for a three mile drive, just driving around the hood in cirlces and to my amazement even the AC was working.

I started cleaning up the interior and decided to take the car to the wash, the engine bay and interior were disgusting after sitting for so long. At the wash i sprayed the motor down with engine degreaser and then washed her down, her first wash and vaccuum and i was on my way back. While in the leaving the parking lot the car suddenly felt like it had loss of power... wtf? felt like i was driving in 4th gear all the way home, i had no power what so ever....but no engine knock, no metal noises no nothing. When i pulled the car into the drive way it felt like a lawn mower and sounded like one too with a bit of white smoke coming out the tail pipe that eventually stopped. While parked and slightly getting into the gas the car sound likes its bouncing off the rev limiter at 2000 rpms...mmmm

seems like i revived and killed my SC in just one day

Last edited by trufanatic; 06-16-08 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-16-08, 08:40 AM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope seems like u degreased and powerwashed the engine not taking the precautions people have outlined in this forum. Do a search there are quite a few threads dealing with the remedies for this ailment. Good news it should be fairly inexpensive to correct.
Old 06-16-08, 08:48 AM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

did a search, guess im not the only dumbass thats not left their engine on while degreasing.

Thanks for the hint, i've owned a lot of cars and with a lexus this would have been one topic i would have never even guessed about.

so spark plugs after work.
Old 06-16-08, 09:08 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

GL! Id say spark plugs as well.
Old 06-16-08, 09:17 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

another one bites the dust. lol.

hopefully not for long. good luck with the fix.
Old 06-16-08, 10:52 AM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why do people do this? PRESSURIZED WATER IN ENGINE BAY = BAD!
Old 06-16-08, 12:15 PM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

i've owned 13 cars in the past 6 years and this is the only one that has ever done this. But lesson learned, i thought the damn thing blew and i've been shopping for 1j's all morning

i think im going to sell my mazdaspeed, keep the sc4 for a daily running some hydrogen and get a SC3 to do my swap.

Gotta love JAP engineering, damn car was sitting for 4 years...dropped in a new fuel pump and she fired right up.
Old 06-16-08, 12:25 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

you got any pics? and how many miles it got? the way you are talking about, that is TRUE japanese engineering o and what color, must feel great to get a car running like that
Old 06-16-08, 12:34 PM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont understand it either...I watched in horror as my brother sprayed his "Nused" BMW M5 with simple green and proceeded to powerwash the engine and he didnt understand my fear. I even cautioned him to keep engine running he didnt see the point or understand my concern and he wouldnt do it.

Well long story short NOTHING happened. Started right up he drove the 2 hours home without a hiccup. Go figure.
Old 06-16-08, 12:48 PM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jmd93
you got any pics? and how many miles it got? the way you are talking about, that is TRUE japanese engineering o and what color, must feel great to get a car running like that
weather has been really crappy in here south florida, i will most definately take some pics once its cleaned up.

But i got her for only a thousand dollars, well 1080 if you count towing. Its a green 93 sc4 with just about every option that i've come to decern. Heated leather seats, sun roof, the premium stereo(that works just fine) with sub, phone, it has 168k original miles but it doesnt have the gold body lettering like i've seen on other cars. i saw it in some junk lot, guy said he was planning to fix, clean it up and sell. He said he got it off some old guy that had stopped driving, and the car was parked upder a tree for over 4yrs. I told him i'd save him the trouble so i took it from him right there.

From looking over, the rear and right passenger seat are in great condition...seriously. the driver seat is ripped all to hell. The head lights need to be replaced, theyre fogged up and tanned looking, it will need a paint job. paint fade plus it looked like something rubbed or gashed the rear driver quarter panel plus the regular maintenance that i listed earlier in the thread. I dont think too bad for 1+ plus a 50$ oem fuel pump off ebay for a running sc4 with very very minor blemishes.

Oh yeah, no dash or leather cracks anywhere beside the stupid drivers seat. 168k original miles and the motor purrs like a damn kitten. aside from the stupid hydrolic fan you dont hear crap. its going to run so sweet after maintenance is done.
Attached Thumbnails My first SC. The horror-photo0142.jpg  

Last edited by trufanatic; 06-16-08 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-16-08, 07:22 PM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

ya know a couple clogged cats was the damn culprit.

Today after letting the run for a lil while assuming that the heat would have evaporated whatever water might have got in place it shouldnt i revved the car a few times and took it for a spin still noticing loss of power. when i got back home and turned the car off i hear these metal clicking sounds....thinking to myself, if the engine was screwed i wouldnt be hearing anything because its off. so i looked underneath the car and saw that my left cat was glowing cherry red and the tailpipes were smoking. So after all this time thinking i screw up my new old sc, the catalytic converter was clogged...fun fun times.
Old 06-16-08, 08:42 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

You don't have clogged cats...The reason your cats are glowing and pinging and your smoking is because you are having unburnt fuel going through your engine. The reason for your undurnt fuel is in direct relation to your electrical system...I has your EXACT problem and I had blown a coil pack and was down one plug. Also had a cut in my spark plug wires. Fix that and your car will run fine again. If you really want to get new cats...go ahead but ummmm have fun with that! weld re-weld etc....
Old 06-18-08, 07:33 PM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Pirate400
You don't have clogged cats...The reason your cats are glowing and pinging and your smoking is because you are having unburnt fuel going through your engine. The reason for your undurnt fuel is in direct relation to your electrical system...I has your EXACT problem and I had blown a coil pack and was down one plug. Also had a cut in my spark plug wires. Fix that and your car will run fine again. If you really want to get new cats...go ahead but ummmm have fun with that! weld re-weld etc....
so i changed out the plugs and no joy... i have to say this is some bull****, ive never had this problem with any car i've ever owned. i was looking forward to have this thing on the road in a couple weeks but now i dont know, might as well do the damn GTE swap now and not wait. All from a damn power wash..?mmm. anyone else have any ideas, i guess i can waste my money on coil packs and wires then what if that doesnt fix the prob? car has a brand new oem fuel pump btw, that was almost 400$

i had no intent on keeping the V8 but while i got it going i was said might as well drive it for a couple months, sell the other car i have (08) and drive that to save some money for two months. Someone help b4 i get anymore discouraged

Last edited by trufanatic; 06-18-08 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-18-08, 08:10 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

I still think something is worng with the electrical/ignition system.. I wish I could find my reciept from when I had the work done to tell you exactly what part they replaced. I mean I had the exact same problem. Do you smell the smell of gasoline whebn the car is running? Just take to an independent shop and have them run a few tests to find out what the problem is. Don't say anything about your cats because they will only unbolt the whole exhaust to determine it isn't clogged costing you more money. Let them determine what might be wrong.
Old 06-18-08, 08:21 PM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Pirate400
I still think something is worng with the electrical/ignition system.. I wish I could find my reciept from when I had the work done to tell you exactly what part they replaced. I mean I had the exact same problem. Do you smell the smell of gasoline whebn the car is running? Just take to an independent shop and have them run a few tests to find out what the problem is. Don't say anything about your cats because they will only unbolt the whole exhaust to determine it isn't clogged costing you more money. Let them determine what might be wrong.
i checked all the plug wires individually and they were slightly wet up towards the top, checked all the plugs and on the driver side of the car the bottom of the plugs were wet, it was late and dark so i didnt smell them to see if it was fuel. Also had the car sit and idle for about 4 hrs yesterday so whatever water might have got into the cyclinders should have evaporated.

Yes, when the car is running you most definately smell fuel and the drivers side CAT starts glowing red b4 the passengers side. So i think im going with new coils and wires next. I dont believe in paying alot of money for stuff i can do myself, thats why i learned about engines and how to fix cars in the first place. some mechanics just rape.

and no CEL do the motor itself is fine. will call the parts store tomorrow to see if they have this stuff in stock, i hope its not really expensive and that its doesnt rain......again.

guessing distributor cap, rotor and new wires should do the trick?

Last edited by trufanatic; 06-18-08 at 08:28 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My first SC. The horror