Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc400 with M90 and water/air intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-08, 09:17 AM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default sc400 with M90 and water/air intercooler

Here we go!!!!

I dont have the intercooler yet, but it will sit behind the supercharger. Now I need to get the idle control valve, cold start injector, and EGR valve mounted. I will have to cut a hole in the hood and put on a hood scoop of some sort though. No biggy, it will actually fit with the vertex body kit quite well.

Old 05-25-08, 09:38 AM
atekt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, that is looking real good. I want to shoot down there sometime soon, let me know when you are open.
Old 05-25-08, 10:13 AM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

how come the blowers upside down?

Is the blower pulley lined up with the belts or is it just sittin on top for demo?

Are you running oval port or rectangle port on m90?

As good at welding aluminum as you are have you given through to a GEN 5 eaton from the newest GM 3.8? you could modify the housing. It flows the best by far of any m90.

Last edited by UpInTheLex; 05-25-08 at 10:15 AM. Reason: spelling!
Old 05-25-08, 11:24 AM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by atekt
Nice, that is looking real good. I want to shoot down there sometime soon, let me know when you are open.
Tuesdays, Thursdays evenings and Saturday mornings I am out in the garage....until the GS and SC are done and gone. So feel free to come down any of those days to shoot the breeze.
Old 05-25-08, 11:31 AM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by UpInTheLex
how come the blowers upside down?
it is right side up. This M90 was desined to be intercooled. My outlet will sweep back to a small water/air intercooler mounted behind the SC.

Is the blower pulley lined up with the belts or is it just sittin on top for demo?
Yes that is lined up. I might have to modify the thermostat housing to get the belt to clear since the pully is on the opposite side than most.

Are you running oval port or rectangle port on m90?
It is oval, and I don't have an intake for it yet. Probably going to have to build one which I am not looking forward to.

As good at welding aluminum as you are have you given through to a GEN 5 eaton from the newest GM 3.8? you could modify the housing. It flows the best by far of any m90.
Thanks, but I still need a lot of improvment...a lot!!!! Because my setup will be pretty much model independent, it would be easy to change the type of SC I put on. I have been looking for other types of SC's and of course would love to find a twin screw for cheap...HAHA!. So the GEN 5, what do they look like. I do have a GM 3.8 M90 as well, but it would be much more difficult to intercool. Plus the body is really long due to the built in bypass valve.

Oh, by the way, with this little M90 do I even need a bypass valve?
Old 05-25-08, 11:46 AM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Oh yeah you'll still need a bypass valve. It's an rpm vs. load thing.

I'm going to post the pictures I have pertaining to the SC400 supercharger setup here in this thread. I've always wanted to do what you're doing right now!

I was thinking you'd put an air/water intercooler core in between the blower and the ports of the intake and turn the blower around the other way. That's how GM does it I'm pretty certain.

A twin screw is definately the way, but yeah price is a concern.

This is the GEN V GM supercharger.
Attached Thumbnails sc400 with M90 and water/air intercooler-genvsupercharger.jpg  
Old 05-25-08, 11:47 AM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

This is an oval port vs. rectangle port comparison photo
Rectangle port is superior to oval port in flow characteristics. 94 and 95 supercoupes used rectangle port. Also coated rotors we used in 94+95 but the coating is inferior to the coating GM used on all their M90. Supposedly you can use the coated "GM" rotors in a rectangle port "Ford" housing for best results.
Attached Thumbnails sc400 with M90 and water/air intercooler-eatonm90.jpg  

Last edited by UpInTheLex; 05-25-08 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-25-08, 11:52 AM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

This photo shows how the fabricator cut down a GM supercharger housing to make it shorter and welded on his own flange. This is from an 1uz in OZ land IIRC. Dual TB setup too. Spiffy!

The red line shows approx where he cut the supercharger housing(just after the bypass valve.
Attached Thumbnails sc400 with M90 and water/air intercooler-superchargerjpg.jpg  
Old 05-25-08, 11:56 AM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Ported Rectangle port housing
Attached Thumbnails sc400 with M90 and water/air intercooler-rectangle-port.jpg  
Old 05-25-08, 12:02 PM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Hmm, ok, so that is what I have, the GEN 5.

How much more air does it produce? Would it be worth changing my design to be a dual plane? I would have to do air/air intercooler vs air/water since I would no longer have enough room.

Last edited by SuprRunner; 05-25-08 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-25-08, 12:02 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Rectangle port GEN 3 M90 drawing from Eaton
Attached Thumbnails sc400 with M90 and water/air intercooler-eaton-m90-drawing.jpg  
Old 05-25-08, 12:11 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

You've got a Gen 3 in the picture there. Its like the one where the two superchargers are compared with the red cutoff line.

Careful! The Gen 5 looks really close to a gen 3.
Gen 5's only came out since like 2003+, iirc. might even be 2005+
They're the ping-pong tiddily of stock eaton m90's.

Take a close look at the TB mating end of the gen 3 and compare it to the first photo of the gen 5. you'll see what I mean.

If I were you I'd continue with what you've got and get 'er runnin. Like you said you can always change out the blower later. Also it's not about total volume of how much I'll flow, it's more about how efficient it is... The later design M90 have tighter sealing tolerances and heat the air up less, allowing you to run more boost without detonation.

Last edited by UpInTheLex; 05-25-08 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-25-08, 12:39 PM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

yeah, I was just about to post that I found out it is a gen 3.

Oh well, I will just keep the small one.

How much PSI can I run with the 3rd gen, stock heads, stock compression. Not asking what the motor can handle, just what the supercharger can actually push on a this motor.
Old 05-25-08, 12:58 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

As you know it's gonna depend on a lot of things.
You gonna run e85? That'll help keep temps down.
A few guys on here are running bout 6-8psi. That seems to be about the norm. But so far as I know no one has intercoolers...

Thats a good question.... I'm not sure honestly. Seems like it'll have to a test and tune situation.
Get a dual temp intercooler gauge similiar to this one. Monitor your temps and try out different boost pulleys untill your happy. This in conjunction with wideband 02 or EGT sensor or both, should get you set!

p.s. your Gen3 GM supercharger should have teflon coated rotors which you can swap over to your oval port eaton. Port the inlet of the blower at the same time and you should be able to pick up 2psi without make anymore heat.
Attached Thumbnails sc400 with M90 and water/air intercooler-dual-intercooler-gauge.jpg  
Old 05-25-08, 11:42 PM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Probably some meth injection and maybe a boost retard control, so pretty much I will take whatever the M90 can dish out.

Quick Reply: sc400 with M90 and water/air intercooler