Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

craaaazzy's W58 to R154 swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-09, 10:37 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, are you guys thinking that using the R154 with an SC300 92-94 swan neck style shifter won't work in the 95-97 Sc300s because the hole in the chassis sits further back due to the external shifter in the 95-97s?

If that is true, I wonder if the hole in the chassis could be cut a bit, then sealed up with a thin aluminum plate or something once the everything is installed.

I hope I made sense...it's late
Old 01-20-09, 05:11 AM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, i've seen pictures of people doing this. it's similar to people doing the auto to 5 speed conversion as the holes are different in that situation as well.

one thing u may want to check is to see if the late model w58 tripod is able to fit the r154 tranny. forgot who PM'd me asking about this but it was his idea...

Originally Posted by RyanV
So, are you guys thinking that using the R154 with an SC300 92-94 swan neck style shifter won't work in the 95-97 Sc300s because the hole in the chassis sits further back due to the external shifter in the 95-97s?

If that is true, I wonder if the hole in the chassis could be cut a bit, then sealed up with a thin aluminum plate or something once the everything is installed.

I hope I made sense...it's late
Old 01-20-09, 06:18 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

I believe that I read that using the w58 extension/tripod doesn't fit on the r154, because the 154 is wider.

Since my motor is now out, and my friend has a spare R154, I'll find out for sure if the Soarer shifter extension fits on the R154.

EDIT: found a late model soarer box, wont be doing the comparo afterall.

Also, I wonder if I could just buy the OEM R154 Soarer extension housing from Toyota and forget about it??

Thanks for the writeup,
Ryan

Last edited by RyanV; 01-28-09 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-28-09, 08:43 AM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

i posted a quick modification i did to my shifter in my Intro thread but since i have a thread specifically for the W58 to R154 conversion, thought i'd post this here as well:

another update: i had the stock w58 shifter modified so it would be a little further back. i was going to bend the shifter per my post here: Strength of Metal

unfortunately when i was trying to heat the shifter, it melted the rubber holding the top damper piece on. so i had to go another route. i had the top piece welded back on but towards the rear of the shifter, as well as a little lower than stock (welds aren't great but it should hold). i didn't take any good pictures before installing but i just took this so you can see it:

here's how it looks with everything installed once again. as you can see, it sits right in the middle in neutral.

as compared to this:
Old 01-28-09, 10:14 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

You welded the top damper to the bottom part of the shifter! Haha. That's classic man. So after you bent it does it still have a straight shift or does it have that down/up motion?
Old 01-28-09, 12:36 PM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

it was a spur of the moment kind of decision to have it welded. i did not bend it at all...when i was heating it up, the rubber on the dampener melted before i could even attempt to bend. throw feels the same.

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
You welded the top damper to the bottom part of the shifter! Haha. That's classic man. So after you bent it does it still have a straight shift or does it have that down/up motion?
Old 01-28-09, 03:38 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by craaaazzy
it was a spur of the moment kind of decision to have it welded. i did not bend it at all...when i was heating it up, the rubber on the dampener melted before i could even attempt to bend. throw feels the same.
Gotcha. The same thing happened on mine when I cut and welded it. What I did to get the damper back on was to spot weld a washer on the bottom part of the shifter, cut a small groove out of the inside of the damper about halfway up, then slide the damper back down over the washer. It would seat itself in the groove.
Old 01-28-09, 04:23 PM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

lol, yeah, u never read that that happens. i was thinking of doing what you had done but this just seemed like the easiest way. =)

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
Gotcha. The same thing happened on mine when I cut and welded it. What I did to get the damper back on was to spot weld a washer on the bottom part of the shifter, cut a small groove out of the inside of the damper about halfway up, then slide the damper back down over the washer. It would seat itself in the groove.
Old 03-26-09, 06:03 PM
adam8103
Pole Position

Craaaazzy, did you have any problem with the r154 front half shaft carrier bearing? my r154 carrier bearing is too big for the hole (or tunnel) that the w58 shaft carrier was in?? did you change anything?
Old 03-26-09, 10:00 PM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

switch out the bearing from ur w58 setup to it. that should fix ur problem
Old 03-27-09, 04:46 PM
kevro
Pole Position

craaazy, i have been working (on and off) on my 1jz with r154 swap, I, like you found that i needed the mk3 front half of the drive shaft, upon receiving the shaft I put it next to the original shaft that came out of the car and it was about 1/2 inch longer than stock. i have put it against another mk3 half shaft and they were the same. i installed all and it is very snug, when i try to move i can hear scraping, pulled it out and the cupped end of the front shaft (that goes into the cupped end on the tranny) is rubbing due to being too tight. did you end up using the mk3 shaft and did you have any lengtth issues? my r154 was from soarer and my car is early. 92.
Kevin
Old 03-27-09, 07:00 PM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

kevin,
my mk3 driveshaft was a bit tight as well but no scraping sound. mine r154 was from a 1jz but shouldn't make a difference.

fred
Old 03-27-09, 07:06 PM
kevro
Pole Position

thanks for getting back to me so quick, Did you at any point when you had all the parts laying around happen to put the old sc shaft next to your mk3 shaft? mk3 shaft about half inch longer?
Old 03-27-09, 07:17 PM
adam8103
Pole Position

i did not have the other bearing from the w58, so i decided to make it fit... i hammered the holr in and grind one lip and open one hole of the flange that holds it to the car.. it seems to be straigth it will probably do the job.
Old 05-08-09, 04:09 PM
mcwop23
Driver

bump because my W58 to R154 conversion went flawlessly, mostly due to the content in this thread, thanks.

Quick Reply: craaaazzy's W58 to R154 swap