Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Slow response off the line

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-08, 08:40 PM
RedSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow response off the line

Like i said in my other thread, i just got my tranny rebuilt in my car. I still feel like there is something wrong, for example when i punch the gas to the floor it takes a while to pick up speed, and the throttle response is horrible. Compared to when i first got the car, i used to floor it and fly down the streets. I would figuire i would be a bit faster now since the trans was rebuilt and i have other mods like an intake and other stuff. Yet the car is some how slow, i know it's a heavy car but it never lagged this bad. Any ideas of what it could be? I'm getting a tune up soon in order to see if that solves the problem, but i don't know. Could the timing be off? or could it be the intake messing up the MAF???
Old 05-11-08, 09:03 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

engine and transmission forum.

Moved
Old 05-12-08, 01:10 AM
SO4RER
Pole Position

maybe your tps needs a bit of adjustment, delaying your throttle response. if you have done so you should get a full tune up, changing out your plugs, wires, cap rotor and adjusting your timing along with your tps. i had similar problems, felt like a different car when i got it done.
Old 05-12-08, 08:06 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Did you Try to pull any codes? most likely its a bad solenoid.
Old 05-12-08, 02:24 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The throttle cable may not have been tightened fully upon installation. The throttle kickdown cable may also have been damaged during teardown or not properly installed.

Having just recently pulled the transmission on my car, I doubt that the intake or MAF would be the culprit since those areas of the vehicle are left relatively untouched. I would suspect something with the throttle cables to be the culprit.

A loose throttle cable will feel like there is slack in the gas pedal, and a very loose throttle cable may not be able to get the throttle fully wide open. Fortunately, fixing this is a 2-3 minute job that anyone with basic tools can do.

Find the throttle body and the throttle cable running to an electrical box (that is modulated electronically by the gas pedal). Have a friend push the gas pedal down and look for movement under the hood if you can't find this. Then, without the gas pedal being touched, see if you can wiggle the throttle cable back and forth any without the throttle mechanism itself budging. If yes, the cable is loose. If no, then something else is the issue. Tightening the cable simply involves adjusting the pair of nuts that pinch the mounting plate to keep the assembly steady.
Old 05-12-08, 04:04 PM
RedSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blizzy
The throttle cable may not have been tightened fully upon installation. The throttle kickdown cable may also have been damaged during teardown or not properly installed.

Having just recently pulled the transmission on my car, I doubt that the intake or MAF would be the culprit since those areas of the vehicle are left relatively untouched. I would suspect something with the throttle cables to be the culprit.

A loose throttle cable will feel like there is slack in the gas pedal, and a very loose throttle cable may not be able to get the throttle fully wide open. Fortunately, fixing this is a 2-3 minute job that anyone with basic tools can do.

Find the throttle body and the throttle cable running to an electrical box (that is modulated electronically by the gas pedal). Have a friend push the gas pedal down and look for movement under the hood if you can't find this. Then, without the gas pedal being touched, see if you can wiggle the throttle cable back and forth any without the throttle mechanism itself budging. If yes, the cable is loose. If no, then something else is the issue. Tightening the cable simply involves adjusting the pair of nuts that pinch the mounting plate to keep the assembly steady.
i did that but my wire was fine, as for the solenoid, how much is that and where is it located?
Old 05-13-08, 07:10 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RedSC
i did that but my wire was fine, as for the solenoid, how much is that and where is it located?
Last time i changed them they wer like 95 dollars for all of them. You have to drop the oilpan to get to them.
Old 05-13-08, 08:17 AM
RedSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sc250tt
Last time i changed them they wer like 95 dollars for all of them. You have to drop the oilpan to get to them.
ok then, i'll see whats up after the tune up. If the problem persists then i'll check the solenoids. thanks dude