Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

turbo charging my first car

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-08, 06:54 PM
jth3rd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question turbo charging my first car

i have a sc300 with 212437 miles on it
timing belt was changed at 191000

run great

i want to run 10-12 psi on the stock motor my goal is about 400hp and
most of you think it will be safe as long as i ajust the timing

i found a kit to order but want to make sure it has every thing i need.

so i ask you guys the turbo experts

http://www.raceinspired.com/p-3114-t...1993-1997.aspx

Turbonetics Turbo Kit Lexus SC300 1993-1997

SKU: TUR-15123 (3114)

MSRP: $4,996.00

Price: $4,571.34

Quantity:

The Turbonetics turbo system is a complete bolt on system that will provide you with exceptional horse power gains. The turbo kit includes everything you need from fuel and ignition to piping and fittings and can typically be installed within 8 to 12 hours. Turbonetics turbo kit is a true OE bolt-on turbo system. It does not require any major modifications or hacking of the chassis and it retains all the original factory equipment.

All Turbonetics turbo kits feature NASA inspired ceramic ball bearings to ensure maximum durability and a super smooth operation. In addition, the turbo utilizes a single bearing structure to help dampen the critical frequencies that typically plague dual bearing designs. The results are 50 times more thrust capacity and 25% percent quicker spool-up over conventional bearings.

To stabilize boost pressure, a computer analyzed wastegate is included with Turbonetics turbo kit. These wastegates can comfortably handle 400+ horsepowers. They consist of a cast 304 stainless body, Nitronic 60 stainless steel one-piece valve, a rolling type diaphragm and polished aluminum billet cap. Its compact design allows it to fit into even the tightest spots without compromising any performance. In some cases it can outflow its competition by as much as 20%.

Likewise, to vent excess boost pressure a Raptor By-Pass/Blow-Off valve is included. They are fully polished and feature a 1.5” (38mm) valve, adjustable preload, sealed valve stem, 1.5” (38mm) discharge, O-Ring sealed valve seats, and a rolling diaphragm design.

The entire turbo system is cooled using a Spearco W.A.V.E. technology Air-to-Air intercooler system. The Wide Area Vane Effectiveness or W.A.V.E. technology provides the most efficient heat exchange possible by maximizing the surface area and utilizing a complex network of highly effective vanes. This revolutionary new Spearco intercooler decreases temperatures by as much as 30 degrees when compared to conventional tube n’ fit designs. In addition, Spearco’s patent pending manufacturing process allows these cores to withstand extreme pressures of over 200psi.

Connecting the Turbonetics turbo kit together is black chrome coated piping, high pressure silicone hoses and Heavy Duty T-Bolt Clamps. In addition, mandrel bent down-pipes, a high carbon cast steel exhaust manifold and an intake system complete with AF-1 air filters offer exceptional exhaust gas flow throughout the system. A fine tuned fuel and ignition management systems is combined and maintains a consistent air/fuel mixture under all operating conditions. All Turbonetics turbo kits come pre-programmed for each application and allow even the most inexperienced tuners to obtain amazing power gains.

Turbonetics Turbo System Features:
- Patented Turbonetics Ceramic Ball Bearing Turbocharger (T3/T4 Hybrid or T04E)
- Spearco W.A.V.E. Technology Intercooler System
- Black Chrome Coated Piping
- High Pressure Silicone Hose and Heavy Duty T-Bolt Clamps
- Evolution External Wastegate
- Turbonetics Raptor By-Pass/Blow-Off Valve with polished discharged horn
- High Carbon Cast-Steel Exhaust Manifold
- Fuel / Timing Management System
- Additional Fuel Injectors
- Mandrel-Bent Downpipe with Closed-Loop Wastegate Discharge
- Intake System and Turbonetics AF-1 Air Filters
- All Necessary Hardware, Lines and Fittings

Reference: Turbonetics Turbo System, Turbonetics Turbo Kit, Turbonetics turbocharger

Application: Turbonetics Turbo Kit Lexus SC300 1993-1997
For Engine Type: 2JZGE, 3.0L
Turbo Type: Custom T04E
Average Boost: 8 PSI
Estimated Total HP with Kit: 320
Old 03-31-08, 07:05 PM
Black_SC
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

you can piece together a kit for half that....
Old 03-31-08, 07:20 PM
jth3rd
Rookie

i got my sc300 for $4500

if i can a diy turbo kit for less then my car great

so can some one post a list of things i will need with price's and where to buy items from

and still make about 400hp

Last edited by jth3rd; 03-31-08 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-31-08, 08:34 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jth3rd
i got my sc300 for $4500

if i can a diy turbo kit for less then my car great

so can some one post a list of things i will need with price's and where to buy items from

and still make about 400hp
Where in Oklahoma are you?

Well, you just posted a list of what comes with that kit - so that would be a good start.

Check www.clubna-t.com and also supraforums.com and I am sure you can find a lot of the stuff you are looking for.

Jonny
Old 03-31-08, 08:53 PM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Another vote to check out www.ClubNA-T.com

Theres a ton of info there...
Old 04-01-08, 02:38 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had well under $2000 in my initial turbo setup. I'd say probably under $1500 even, and I pieced it all together individually.
Old 04-01-08, 08:38 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're going to spend $4500, don't waste it on a turbonetics kit. There are a TON out there better even in that price range or much less.
Old 04-01-08, 09:09 PM
papodotcom
Driver

www.xs-power.com has turbo kits 1300$ and you can get ~400 rwhp. best bang for your buck.

i think their prices are better if you contact them through clubna-t.com
Old 04-02-08, 01:07 AM
koji187
Rookie

rebuild your motor first, your gonna blow it up if you just slap a kit on with that many miles
Old 04-02-08, 05:21 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

i put together a complete boostlogic stage 2.5 kit for 3,800 which included headgasket, arp head bolts , oil feed and drain ,aeromotive fuel pressure reg with fuel pressure guage ,mani,t67dbb turbo,aem wideband ,550 drop in in jectors basically everything needed the only extras was map ecu for fuel control and boost and egt guages

car makes just shy of 500 rwhp at about 19lbs

190k is kinda high for boosting , i too recc a eng rebuild like piston rings, freshen up the head and change all eng gaskets and seals front and rear and cam seals , valve cover gasket, the pressure boost creates within crankcase will explode leaks all over the place so do it right from the start and boost away
Old 04-02-08, 07:57 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

+1 for the cheapo turbo kit. It does look too good to be true at first, but seeing all the testimonials and tech support on club NA-T is really convincing.

Thats a lot of mileage on the SC, i would do a bit more maintenance i.e. compression test, check vacuum hoses, etc. just so you dont run into any problems down the line. Dont be afraid about blowing the engine though, there are plenty of members here with high mileage motors running solid HP numbers, but just make sure you properly prep the motor for many boosted miles up the road.
Old 04-02-08, 10:16 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran 11 psi on a 67mm on my stock longblock with almost 230K miles. I'm freshening it up now (rings/bearings/etc.) but it's because I have some more stuff to go on it and I figure I may as well while the motor's out, not because it ate itself. The GE's are stout motors.
Old 04-10-08, 06:06 PM
koji187
Rookie

2j's are tough.. but still, if your gonna go through all that work, might as well get it all done at once rather than going back to rebuild it
Old 04-12-08, 09:05 AM
Durrr
Lead Lap

i just wish there were more 400 manifolds available
Old 04-12-08, 11:18 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by koji187
2j's are tough.. but still, if your gonna go through all that work, might as well get it all done at once rather than going back to rebuild it
Yeah but you won't need to rebuild it. Gunnar is doing it as a matter of convenience. Also, even with high mileage, the motors can still handle plenty of power. They wont make quite as much due to piston-ring problems; but its not like its going to grenade or anything. DaveH did a 9 second run with a junkyard-stock 220k mile motor.

Quick Reply: turbo charging my first car