Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ECU chipped?? and other q's

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-08, 10:57 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes its getting power
Old 09-08-08, 12:55 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Bumpage, need to know how to test ecus!
Old 09-11-08, 10:25 AM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 5spdSC300
You can leave the trac ecu unplugged with no negative effects. The flange on the usdm is different from the jdm. Don't quote me on this but i recall reading somewhere about enlarging the bolt hole to fit.

Good find on the ecu but i would try to contact mines to see if they have records of what mods were done. I would be weary running it if it has a more aggressive timing map since it would be tuned for the octane in japan. I have no personal experiences with JDM chipped ecu's so im just throwing the idea out there.
Well, for some reason, my fuel pump only kicks on with the traction ecu is plugged. Can you only have it unplugged with the usdm harness? Can you describe with your experience?

I'm not saying your completely wrong, but in my experience you are.
Old 09-12-08, 04:13 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lemmiewink
Well, for some reason, my fuel pump only kicks on with the traction ecu is plugged. Can you only have it unplugged with the usdm harness? Can you describe with your experience?

I'm not saying your completely wrong, but in my experience you are.
My car starts and runs like stock without the trac ecu. I never had the trac ecu so it has always been unplugged. I’ve done a few 2jzgte swaps into na supras and sc300's and all started right up without the trace ecu. Supra owners remove there trac ecu without any negative affects. No check engine lights unless they were OBDII.

It might be the jdm harness but I don’t have any personal experience with it. I usually recommend using an usdm harness when I do swaps but using the jdm harness also gets the job done. I have ran a jdm ecu on a usdm harness and the car started up without the trac ecu which leads me to believe its probably not the harness or the trac ecu. But going off your description, it does sound like the trac ecu has something to do with the fuel pump which would a be a first that I’ve heard of.

Who did your wiring? It does sound like its wiring related since the CEL doesn't even come on.... unless its the ecu. Do you know anyone in your area that could let you borrow a ecu to test?
Old 09-13-08, 04:12 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

I actually traced one of the plug wires that is supposed to go to the neutral safety switch. It went straight to the throttle control ecu.. I do suspect that the jdm harness is the thing that is throwing everything out of wack, but without proper jdm diagrams I can't really pinpoint what I need to do right away.

I'll have to look at the usdm diagrams, look for the wire and trace it from the plug to the place where it ends...

*edit*

I also emailed some supra folks in New Zealand. Seems they get jdm flavor supras there. I asked what one person did to disable the trac ecu. He said that he leaves it pluged, but removed the throttle butterfly

Last edited by lemmiewink; 09-13-08 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-17-08, 11:40 AM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Bumpage,

Found an incomplete pinout for the jdm traction control ecu. Now I need to find the pinout for a usdm trac ecu. Maybe I can get some answers if I compare.

Unfortunately, since the jdm pinout is incomplete, it still did not gie me an answer why the fuel pump kicked on. etc.
Old 09-23-08, 12:12 AM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

*update*

Turns out it is not the throttle control ecu that is helping my fuel pump turn on. I unplugged it and it still kicks on now. Something else was causing the fuel pump not to kick on in the beginning.

It looked like the throttle ecu because when we plugged it in it worked.

Also, I found out that locations for the starter relay wires on JDM harnessess are at a different location. No one told me, I just traced what I suspected are starter circuit wires.

Now it cranks!!! .................but no spark ..... going to trouble shoot tomorrow and also do a compression test since now it cranks.
Old 09-23-08, 05:11 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

Good to hear you got her to crank. Does you cel come on now?
Old 09-28-08, 12:07 AM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

yes cel comes on only when efi relay is plugged in. Guess I can only pull codes when everything is in "operating" conditions?