Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

valve cover gasket replacement ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-08, 03:46 PM
rawdil49
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve cover gasket replacement ?

im leaking oil around the valve covers so its time to get in there and replace the valve cover gaskets. i want to make sure i have all the parts i need before i tear it apart. so is there anything else i should replace when i've got the throttle body and intake off?
Old 03-18-08, 04:17 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

May as well do your plugs while you've got it apart, at the very least.
Old 03-18-08, 04:25 PM
SupLex3
Driver

^^ plugs, replace plug wires (if old), check hoses & clean your TB.
Old 03-18-08, 04:30 PM
rawdil49
Pole Position

thanks guys, i'll add it to my stuff of list to get. should i replace any other gaskets like the ones for the throttle body or intake?
Old 03-18-08, 04:44 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It certainly wouldn't hurt to replace them but it might not need it.
Old 03-20-08, 05:10 PM
white93
Rookie

I don't know if it comes with the valve cover gasket's, but I believe that there are gasket's that go around the spark plug holes.
Old 03-20-08, 05:19 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by white93
I don't know if it comes with the valve cover gasket's, but I believe that there are gasket's that go around the spark plug holes.
there are no gaskets around spark plugs. and even if there were then they would come with the valve cover gasket.

our cars have two separate valve covers. one for each cam, hence two gaskets, hence no spark plug o-rings.

i say replace the valve cover gaskets. i would get the toyota original ones. do the plugs as well. i used denso PK20R11. thats the NA supra plugs. when i did my plugs i found PK16R11 plugs which is weird because they are turbo plugs. oh well.

check around the distributor for any leaks. there is a small metal pan underneath the distributor. if it has any oil in it then you might need the distributor o-ring as well.

while everything is apart clean the throttle body and the upper intake manifold. if you order the EGR delete plate you can also do that. you have to remove the egr valve to take off the upper intake anyways. do a search of how to eliminate egr.

good luck. you got my number. if you need help let me know.
Old 03-20-08, 05:53 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

might as well do the head gasket while you're at it.

PREP FOR BOOST BABY!!
Old 03-20-08, 06:00 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
while everything is apart clean the throttle body and the upper intake manifold. if you order the EGR delete plate you can also do that. you have to remove the egr valve to take off the upper intake anyways. do a search of how to eliminate egr.
please don't delete the EGR... it's actually a good thing for the car...
Old 03-20-08, 06:30 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by white93
Tube seals. Little rubber rings.. should be six of them.
Old 03-20-08, 08:23 PM
rawdil49
Pole Position

thanks for all the advice guys. i ordered my parts from sewell lexus, they should be here on monday. along with the valve cover gaskets i got all 6 tube seals, throttle body gasket, and intake gasket. not sure if i need all of them but they were cheap so i got em.
Old 03-20-08, 09:12 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There are rubber grommets that seal around the top of each spark plug cylinder. These are installed in the valve covers. If you have never replaced them, it is a good idea to do so. They get old, hard and brittle with age and heat...

Ryan
Old 03-21-08, 11:52 AM
VJZ
Lead Lap

I have a good rapport with one of the parts guys at a local Toyota parts dealership and can get a discount. Will the 93 Supra gaskets work for mine (NA of course)?
Old 03-21-08, 02:59 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
please don't delete the EGR... it's actually a good thing for the car...
i might be pretty stupid and have no idea what im talking about but please explain to me how putting exhaust gasses into the intake manifold is actually good for your car? it might be good for the environment but i could care less about that. if egr systems are so great then why dont race cars have them since "its actually a good thing for the car...".

Originally Posted by 3000
Tube seals. Little rubber rings.. should be six of them.
there are no tubes to seal the valve covers from the plugs. there is a small tray between the two valve covers that supports the spark plug wire but there is no need for actual seals there. its is not a nissan where the spark plug hole actually goes through the valve cover. our cars have two separate valve covers and those extra "tube gaskets" are a waste of money.

Originally Posted by cmiller80
I have a good rapport with one of the parts guys at a local Toyota parts dealership and can get a discount. Will the 93 Supra gaskets work for mine (NA of course)?
you can use a mk4 supra NA valve cover gasket on the 92-97 SC300 no problem.
Old 02-22-09, 07:45 PM
2JZSoarer
Pole Position

alright.. let me bring this back from last year

I just visited the Sewell Lexus website. I saw the engine overhaul gasket kit; I thought that would include what you guys were referring as "rubber grommets" for spark plugs.
I don't see it... please assist me. I would like the leak/problem on my plugs to stop.

Thanks

Quick Reply: valve cover gasket replacement ?