Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Building A 2jzge Vs Swaping A 2jzgte

Old 02-26-08, 01:32 PM
7sins
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building A 2jzge Vs Swaping A 2jzgte

Ok first of all I'm a noob! I've been searching the forum for a while now tring to find the good and the bad about a GE and a GTE. I'm not really finding much. So what I want to know is which way one should go. I know that there are many things that affect this decision like money, what I'm looking for, etc...
I'm not in a big hurry to make lots of power, but I want to be able to know that the potential is there.
Now here's what I've got,
A 1992 sc300 with 260k on the clock. Is it better to pull this motor out and rebuild or just go the swap route.
Just a little history I am a rotary nut gone SR20det and now I want to build a 2jz. Please give me some good advice.
I know I'll probably get some crap from OLT for being a noob and not searching this topic, but it's a risk I'm gonna take. LOL!!
Thanks for your help ladies and gentlemen.
Old 02-26-08, 01:39 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am sure as I type this OLT will be moving it to the appropriate section.

I find it difficult to believe you have searched this topic. Might I suggest you take a trip to clubna-t.com and you will have all of your answers revealed...

Jonny
Old 02-26-08, 01:44 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

This man is good.......

Old 02-26-08, 01:48 PM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you simply search in the SC300/400 Performance section and type in the word "turbo".....you will find a crap load of threads that will probably cover everything you're looking for. But yeah, as Dx3 was pointing out for you, you can get all your questions answered from clubna-t
Old 02-26-08, 01:49 PM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

haha, OLT beat me to it...
Old 02-26-08, 02:09 PM
7sins
Driver

See told you I was new!! I didn't even post my thread in the right spot.
I'll see what else I can find.
Old 03-01-08, 07:17 AM
7sins
Driver

Thanks for all your help
**** heads!!!
Old 03-01-08, 08:32 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 7sins
Thanks for all your help
**** heads!!!
LOL - well did you do what we suggested? And more importantly - did you find what you were looking for?

Jonny
Old 03-01-08, 01:58 PM
7sins
Driver

I've searched this topic so many different ways. I find some things, but nothing other than opinion. I don't understand why it is so difficult for you people who are more educated on this topic than I, to simply give some kind of response other than just search for it. There are so many threads that I just don't have the time to go searching around for hours to find out something a few of you guys can just simply reply to in this thread in a couple of minutes.
This is the only forum I'm associated with where everyone seems, for lack of better words, stuck up. When I see someone in one of these forums asking for help I do my best to help whether they are new or my closest friend of 90 years. I don't blow them off.
I think it's funny that I have to say something negative just to get a response!
This is an awesome site, if you are a republican!
Old 03-01-08, 02:36 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

dude the question you asked has been beaten to death on this forum, supra forums, and a bunch of other ones.

if you don't have time to search through the threads what makes you think we have time to answer the same question over and over every week.
Im surprised this thread is still open.

boosting a motor with 260k with no rebuild will surely come back to bite you in the ****, unless its like the cherriest motor ever.
It sounds like you already know the answer to your own question.
would you boost a n/a 13b or ka24de with 260k? i bet not
Old 03-01-08, 02:56 PM
swaqqa
Driver

Originally Posted by 7sins
I've searched this topic so many different ways. I find some things, but nothing other than opinion. I don't understand why it is so difficult for you people who are more educated on this topic than I, to simply give some kind of response other than just search for it. There are so many threads that I just don't have the time to go searching around for hours to find out something a few of you guys can just simply reply to in this thread in a couple of minutes.
This is the only forum I'm associated with where everyone seems, for lack of better words, stuck up. When I see someone in one of these forums asking for help I do my best to help whether they are new or my closest friend of 90 years. I don't blow them off.
I think it's funny that I have to say something negative just to get a response!'
This is an awesome site, if you are a republican!

You wont get a answer from these guys, but i'll go out my way to help you.

Its basically on you, If you have a 260k motor, it would not be smart to boost. Are you looking for a track beast? Or just something that has power? Because if its just something that has power, best thing would be is to get either a rebuild on your engine, or another 2jzge engine(lower miles), Build up that engine to handle boost, and then boost it. You should see from 400-500 easy. And daily driver. And it wont cost you AS much as a 2jz-gte swap. I mean the 2jz ge has same internals as a gte, without the turbo, different piston, and the 2jz ge being a high compression engine. Its all on YOUR Budget. Personally, I would get a engine with lower miles on it, make sure its good enough to boost, and do your thing. Drive around with your engine now, and build the engine that you bought on the side, and then swap it in when your ready, boost and have fun!
Old 03-01-08, 02:58 PM
swaqqa
Driver

I've gone every route except na-t, which is what im planning to do on my new project. gte was fun I wont lie.
Old 03-01-08, 08:01 PM
7sins
Driver

I know it's stupid to boost a 260k motor. My question is which would be more beneficial to pull the GE build it for boost or go GTE and work from there.
From what I've read internals are the same except GTE has coated pistons. The GTE has oil squirters the GE doesn't. GE uses a distributer the GTE doesn't.
If I was to build a GE would it cost more overall to get say 600hp vs going GTE and upgrading the turbo and fuel system and making say 600hp.
How would reliaiblity be between the two at these levels.
Old 03-01-08, 08:39 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

Cheaper to go NA-T and make 600rwhp. AEM, injectors, turbo, manifold, 2mm head gasket. For a GTE you wont have to go full standalone, but the GE on an AEM will run better than a gte on a piggyback.
Old 03-02-08, 06:16 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Since either way is going to have the motor out, if you're going to do it right you'd rebuild the motor right? Maybe not so much for the GTE but the n/a motor will need at least a h/g to lower compression. Also things I think are mandatory to an engine swap include all the little connectors for the coil packs (GTE), the plugs/dizzy (GE), all the front bearings blah blah blah. No point boosting if the engine can't hold the boost properly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Building A 2jzge Vs Swaping A 2jzgte