Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: single or dual?
single exhaust
26.56%
dual exhaust
73.44%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Single or dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-08, 07:40 PM
Mr.NA_T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I VOTE FOR DUAL.......
Old 02-27-08, 08:16 PM
Slow_Sc3
Lead Lap

picture of my dual setup
Old 02-27-08, 11:40 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

here's mine
Old 03-14-08, 05:24 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Here's my old dual setup with JP Canisters. I have Apexi WS Canisters now.

Old 03-14-08, 07:42 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

single. Makes more power and sounds better.
Old 03-14-08, 09:18 AM
TheCoupe
Driver

Here's audio of my single exhaust... the exhaust consists of HKS Hipower canister, 2.75 piping from catback, and is non-resonated w/cats.. Enjoy.
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...Picture002.flv
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...Picture003.flv
Old 03-14-08, 09:19 AM
TTSC3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bean
single. Makes more power and sounds better.
The sounds better thing is purely opinion, but do you have a dyno to back up the more power claim? I'm curious because I tuned my car with a 3in DP, which Y's out into 2 2.5in mufflers, and my spool was incredible on a 4094R, made big power on pump gas, and was identical or better than many of the supra guys running their single exit exhaust setups. A 4in DP would obviously spool the turbo a bit faster, and make a little more power, but with most people running 3in setups on their boosted cars, do you have info on WHY a 3in DP, that Y's out to 2 2.5in diameter piping/mufflers, would make less power than a single 3in DP to 3in diameter piping/muffler, I'd like to see it. A dyno of before and after would be best.
Old 03-16-08, 05:43 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TTSC3
The sounds better thing is purely opinion, but do you have a dyno to back up the more power claim? I'm curious because I tuned my car with a 3in DP, which Y's out into 2 2.5in mufflers, and my spool was incredible on a 4094R, made big power on pump gas, and was identical or better than many of the supra guys running their single exit exhaust setups. A 4in DP would obviously spool the turbo a bit faster, and make a little more power, but with most people running 3in setups on their boosted cars, do you have info on WHY a 3in DP, that Y's out to 2 2.5in diameter piping/mufflers, would make less power than a single 3in DP to 3in diameter piping/muffler, I'd like to see it. A dyno of before and after would be best.
I dont need a dyno to prove it. Simple physics. The split is going to cause turbulence in the exhaust flow and will create resistance that you wouldnt see with a regular single pipe. Splitting 2.5" pipes won't flow as well as a single 3" either due to the laws of fluid dynamics. I realize the twin 2.5" has a slightly larger cross-sectional area. For cars with a REAL dual exhaust (like twin manifolds that never join minus an h-pipe) there wouldnt be turbulent flow obviously. I understand you dynoed well. But also understand dyno numbers vary wildly. And until you dyno your car back to back with different exhausts, you can't use that argument. I'm using the proven laws of physics as my evidence, you're going to have to prove them wrong.

As for sound... normally I'd agree with things being about opinion. But 99% of the twin muffler SC300s sound like *** compared to a proper single exhaust, it doesnt matter what muffler you put on it either. It usually requires some sort of tuned-length setup to sound good. I really do like the way Cherplex's car looks though. But I've seen too many examples to prove otherwise. Most people only use dual exhaust on SC300s with turbo setups for purely aesthetical reasons. I stand by my previous post. When I get the 4" exhaust on my car, I'll put up some videos
Old 03-16-08, 10:49 PM
TTSC3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bean
I dont need a dyno to prove it. Simple physics. The split is going to cause turbulence in the exhaust flow and will create resistance that you wouldnt see with a regular single pipe. Splitting 2.5" pipes won't flow as well as a single 3" either due to the laws of fluid dynamics. I realize the twin 2.5" has a slightly larger cross-sectional area. For cars with a REAL dual exhaust (like twin manifolds that never join minus an h-pipe) there wouldnt be turbulent flow obviously. I understand you dynoed well. But also understand dyno numbers vary wildly. And until you dyno your car back to back with different exhausts, you can't use that argument. I'm using the proven laws of physics as my evidence, you're going to have to prove them wrong.

As for sound... normally I'd agree with things being about opinion. But 99% of the twin muffler SC300s sound like *** compared to a proper single exhaust, it doesnt matter what muffler you put on it either. It usually requires some sort of tuned-length setup to sound good. I really do like the way Cherplex's car looks though. But I've seen too many examples to prove otherwise. Most people only use dual exhaust on SC300s with turbo setups for purely aesthetical reasons. I stand by my previous post. When I get the 4" exhaust on my car, I'll put up some videos
Hmm..ok. I'm gonna test your turbulence theory. I have an AWD dynojet at the shop, so I'm gonna make a back section for my exhaust, and bolt it up to the DP. I'll throw it on the dyno and overlay the plots. I'm curious as to whether your "turbulence" theory holds any water, as I've dyno'd/tuned dozens of Supras with an almost identical setup to mine, and the numbers/spool were all right about the same. I understand what you're saying, but with 5in of volume, w/e resistance might occur, would also go to the path of least "resistance", so it might be a wash. Interesting nonetheless. I'm gonna try this out the next chance I get and I'll post the results. Appreciate the insight. We'll see what happens...

Last edited by TTSC3; 03-17-08 at 12:37 AM.
Old 03-17-08, 05:28 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I may be biased but I think single sounds way better, it's lighter, and looks more aggressive. It's certainly not for everyone though and it's probably not for a good portion of the site.
Old 03-17-08, 11:23 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TTSC3
Hmm..ok. I'm gonna test your turbulence theory. I have an AWD dynojet at the shop, so I'm gonna make a back section for my exhaust, and bolt it up to the DP. I'll throw it on the dyno and overlay the plots. I'm curious as to whether your "turbulence" theory holds any water, as I've dyno'd/tuned dozens of Supras with an almost identical setup to mine, and the numbers/spool were all right about the same. I understand what you're saying, but with 5in of volume, w/e resistance might occur, would also go to the path of least "resistance", so it might be a wash. Interesting nonetheless. I'm gonna try this out the next chance I get and I'll post the results. Appreciate the insight. We'll see what happens...
Well I didn't come up with it so I can't claim authoring lol. I read some debates about it on SF and an AE came in and explained; had the wiki links to equations to explain why plus airflow data and it made sense. Truth be told, I wouldnt expect a very big difference and it may not even occur within a margin of error. But the physics make sense. And please post the numbers, it will be interesting.

Oh, and the original SF debate was a single 4" vs dual 3", the differences between a 3" single and twin 2.5" as far as potential flow volume is much more biased on the twin 2.5" side than the twin 3" side on the 4" vs twin 3" comparison. I forgot to mention that.

SA numbers: 3" single pipe: 9*pi
2.5" twin pipes: 13*pi -- 3" being 69% of the total flow potential of twin 2.5" pipes by SA alone

4" single pipe: 16*pi
3" twin pipes: 18*pi -- 4" being 88% of total flow potential of twin 3" pipes by SA alone

Last edited by Bean; 03-17-08 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-17-08, 11:33 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gunnar
I may be biased but I think single sounds way better, it's lighter, and looks more aggressive. It's certainly not for everyone though and it's probably not for a good portion of the site.
Gunnar, you read my mind lol
Old 03-18-08, 12:08 AM
juiSCee
Pole Position

I like both and I can do either or. there are days I feel like going single and there are days I like my Duals. I do want to upgrade the look of the my stock 1s w/ some chrome magnaflows. IMO single exhaust might look better for a SC that has been modded w/ a sporty theme. Some guys do sporty but yet still classy and in that case the Duals will look good. Singles sound great because of our engines, a lot like the supras. But I have also heard some duals that sound good. If you go single, covering up the whole is a Must! good luck w/ your decision.

also, if you have an SC400, I think the duals will sound much better. Not sure how a single would some w/ that V8... just my .02
Old 03-18-08, 09:36 AM
ekrebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TheCoupe
Here's audio of my single exhaust... the exhaust consists of HKS Hipower canister, 2.75 piping from catback, and is non-resonated w/cats.. Enjoy.
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...Picture002.flv
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...Picture003.flv
Ive got the hi power on the way, its the 170 mm canister with a 75mm inlet! what size pipping would you all recomend ???

Thanks
Old 03-18-08, 01:59 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Meh I think most of you are too worried about a little part on your car. Sure it looks better covered up when single, but most of you act like its ruining the car. I've seen some really gawdy rims and bodykits here that TRULY ruin a car. I wouldnt be caught dead with chrome wheels of any kind, but don't care much about an open spot where an exhaust tip used to be.

I guess taste varies; but it sure has changed over the past 5 years.

Last edited by Bean; 03-18-08 at 02:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Single or dual exhaust