Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Cast 1JZ exhaust manifold

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-08, 12:17 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cast 1JZ exhaust manifold

Anyone know where I can find a decent cast exhaust manifold for the 1JZ?? I dont want the tubular design for numerous reasons...
Old 02-21-08, 12:39 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i assume for a single turbo application? if thats the case i have never heard of one.

whats wrong with a tubular manifold? you always have to remember...you get what you pay for. so a cheap tubular manifold may crack and/or break on you. a quality name-brand one wont. or at least a lot less likely to.
Old 02-21-08, 12:55 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
i assume for a single turbo application? if thats the case i have never heard of one.

whats wrong with a tubular manifold? you always have to remember...you get what you pay for. so a cheap tubular manifold may crack and/or break on you. a quality name-brand one wont. or at least a lot less likely to.
Tubular manifolds crack very often. They are also too "blingy" for me. Im an old fashioned cast guy i guess you can say. You can never go worng with a cast manifold and they almost never crack, can withstand the weight of the turbo much easier, and are generally much cheaper.
Old 02-21-08, 01:22 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There were a few on EBAY made by SPA I think. I know they make them for 2jz's I can't remember if they were any for 1jz. I seen one for a 2jz and I tell you, those things are well made and I am sure they can take a beating. I was also considering it for my 1jz. You may be able to adapt a 2jz cast iron manifold to fit the 1jz. I don't know what that will involve in machining.
Arnout manifolds are mentioned a lot on Supra forum. Might want to to check there. Good Luck.
Old 02-21-08, 01:26 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by evileagle
Tubular manifolds crack very often. They are also too "blingy" for me. Im an old fashioned cast guy i guess you can say. You can never go worng with a cast manifold and they almost never crack, can withstand the weight of the turbo much easier, and are generally much cheaper.
You are right abou the reliability of cast iron. Most people seem to like how tubular manifolds put the turbo on display. CI will have the turbo lower in the the engine. Hey send me the link if you find one. I am still up in the air. I may wind up with XS power system with a Garrett T67. Looking at the best bang for the buck. Cast Iron is on my list though. 1 of the Supra guys stated that he made 800+hp with his cast iron with no problem.