Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Safc 2

Old 02-19-08, 05:42 PM
bmack
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safc 2

hey all I am new to this website and saw that a lot of people were using a Safc2 with good results. My question is for those that have it. I have a 92 SC400 and have not been able to get it to work.

I think that my ecu is of the T7A and if is so then what wires would go on which locations? can someone give me a detailed message. I can solder but from the apexi and http://www.lextreme.com/piggyback.html instruction I have not been able to see the controller light up.

http://www.lextreme.com/pics/apexi.2.gif
this is the image I have been going off of and on the ground wire I have a blank spot. I tried wiring in the third wire (no start) and in the fourth wire (started with CEL).

Thanks all!
Old 02-19-08, 09:05 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that's the one i used, and mines a 92 also....Remember once you get it working, to set the settings to a 4 cylinder, because you are only tapping one RPM signal. And use Pin 50 (there's two transparent wires) and tap that for the knock sensor.
Old 02-19-08, 09:52 PM
mr2man07
Rookie

anyone have any settings for a stock unmodified sc400?

such as leaning percentages?
Old 02-20-08, 06:07 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mr2man07
anyone have any settings for a stock unmodified sc400?

such as leaning percentages?
This is not a smart choice. Atmospheric pressures, temps etc will all affect the settings on your SAFC. Spend $150 on a wideband and tune it properly - don't risk blowing your motor for an SAFC...

Jonny
Old 02-20-08, 06:13 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bmack

http://www.lextreme.com/pics/apexi.2.gif
this is the image I have been going off of and on the ground wire I have a blank spot. I tried wiring in the third wire (no start) and in the fourth wire (started with CEL).

Thanks all!
I am not sure why you should have it powered up with a constant 12v and not a 12v at key on. I would have used 1a instead of 33a. Maybe there is a reason why they want it to always be powered

As for the ground - yes that one is the chassis ground. I don't know why you don't have a wire there.

FYI - pretty much any brown wire in the SC is a ground

Jonny
Old 02-20-08, 06:38 AM
mr2man07
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dx3
This is not a smart choice. Atmospheric pressures, temps etc will all affect the settings on your SAFC. Spend $150 on a wideband and tune it properly - don't risk blowing your motor for an SAFC...

Jonny
true. figured a base map and tune from there but you have a really good point.

thanks
Old 02-20-08, 09:29 AM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

set all ur settig to 0's unti u can get it tuned
Old 02-20-08, 10:34 PM
bmack
Driver School Candidate

cool thanks guys! just tested it on the battery and it turned on. somewhere my wires got all messed up. back to putting my head on the dashboard.

later,
ben
Old 02-20-08, 10:43 PM
bmack
Driver School Candidate

what would be a good wide band sensor to tune with ? Economical but good programing.
Old 02-21-08, 01:23 AM
bmack
Driver School Candidate

woohooo got it been just messing around with the percentages. I will be getting an air fuel ratio gauge later.

thanks DX3 for the tips you were right about the IG instead of the battery connection. I wired the power to 1a.

When I played around with the settings I just moved everything down in increments and at -4 for 4K I noticed the car running stronger. Only thing that really bothered me was that one of the sensors was running at .001 and barely fluctuating while the other sensor was .020 and up. Anyone know if these correlate to the O2 Sensors?

thanks again soon will be tuning yaaaa
Old 02-21-08, 04:17 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

AEM Wideband is like $250 shipped on ebay.
Old 02-21-08, 06:06 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bmack
what would be a good wide band sensor to tune with ? Economical but good programing.
As RedPhoenix said - the AEM Uego wideband is good. There is someone selling a PLX wideband on supraforums but I do not recall the price.

I wouldn't play around too much with the settings until you get the wideband in - although it is fun I don't think it is worth the risk

Glad you got it working man,

Jonny
Old 02-21-08, 06:28 PM
bmack
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Redphoenix and DX3 I will check that one out.

A couple of questions I got it up and working, but the Trac off light stays on and the CEL. After 15 min. they go off but not sure what the problem is. With the RPM signal wire I used the the second wire on the T7a RPM2 pin from this pic http://www.lextreme.com/pics/apexi.2.gif

anyone have any ideas? Thanks Jonny I will stop playing with it until I can get an a/f gauge or wide band sensor. Yeah it is fun to play with, but I'd rather not wreck my engine. I can really feel a big difference at 4K -2% when switching the ECT on... haha probably not good until I found out what I am really doing

later guys,
Ben
Old 02-21-08, 06:37 PM
bmack
Driver School Candidate

I got this post wire diagram from Lextreme hope it will help me. Will this work for the SC400?
http://lextreme.com/forums/showthrea...+wire+diagrams

Last edited by bmack; 02-21-08 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-21-08, 07:09 PM
bmack
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ihiryu
that's the one i used, and mines a 92 also....Remember once you get it working, to set the settings to a 4 cylinder, because you are only tapping one RPM signal. And use Pin 50 (there's two transparent wires) and tap that for the knock sensor.
hey ihiryu what wire did you use for knock sensor? thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Safc 2