Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

RMR SC400 axle-back exhaust my lordy I'm flummuxed

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-08, 01:20 AM
98supra6sp
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RMR SC400 axle-back exhaust my lordy I'm flummuxed

Hey guys, I just wanted to know how many of you guys out there ponied up for the ROD MILLEN SC400 axle-back exhaust. I did and I am pissed off. The box arrived today and I opened it and the first thing that I saw was a huge dent in the side of the canister. Oh well, that could be swapped out with a new one. I proceeded to examine the exhaust more closely and noticed a ton of welding over-spray all over the stainless ends and sides. This easily could have been avoided if the welder had taken a few minutes to mask off the stainless parts. The worst part of this whole ordeal happened when I started unwrapping the exhaust. I see the word MAGNAFLOW plastered along the top and bottom of the canister. I cannot believe that I paid out the A$$ for basically a MAGNAFLOW 14829 with a hanger and a slight elbow with flange on it. If I would have wanted a MAGNAFLOW I would have bought one on FLEABAY. Those of you who purchased the MAGNAFLOW I am not bashing this exhaust. I am just pissed off that I paid several hundred dollars for a supposed car specific specially tuned exhaust. I could have just spent the $213.00 including shipping and had a local muffler shop weld a hanger and flange on it for a half hour to an hours labor. I actually almost bought the MAGNAFLOW exhaust several times and finally opted out of it after talking to RMR over the phone. I discussed the BORLA 11401 and the MAGNAFLOW 14829 and the other one that also fits my application. Here is the question. For those of you who own a RMM exhaust-does your mufflers say MAGNAFLOW across them? They have changed the name from RMM to RMR. I wonder if the second "M" in RMM actually stood for MAGNAFLOW. Here are some pictures try not to laugh.

Old 02-12-08, 02:22 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

hmmm that does not even look like a magnaflow 14829...looks like a welded tip.

sorry i'm laughing already, you look pretty pissed from the last pic
Old 02-12-08, 06:05 AM
Carbon J
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have RMM exhaust and Magnaflow is nowhere to be found on the mufflers. Actually they have a stamp with RMM graphics, paid about $600. RU sure you bought from Rod Millen Motorsports? Looking at yours we have different RMM mufflers.
Old 02-12-08, 06:35 AM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

Wow you got robbed hard. They took a ricer magnaflow straight thru canister muffler welded a crummy tip on it and way over charged you. I thought you might have been fleabay scammed but the addresss and phone number on the box match the crappy RMM webstire. One thing I did notice is they do not list the exhaust on the website and for the SC400 they sell junk at stupid prices. $385 for an SAFC II come on.

FAIL RMM FAIL

*mail bomb them...you didn't hear that from me though
Old 02-12-08, 06:53 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Does it have a model number on the side?

http://www.roadcatalogs.com/store/rmm.html through herei know its RMM stuff

Thats weird that its RMR... I would definitely try and refund it
Old 02-12-08, 07:08 AM
98supra6sp
Driver

The sad thing is I paid $545.00 shipped for this piece of *****. I assumed it was a 14829 because that is the one most associated with this car but who knows which one they used. Yeah, it looks like they cut off the tip, welded another one on, added a hanger and slight elbow with a flange and called it a day. I am really pissed off right now. I did not think there was any way Rod Millen Racing or Motorsports could just buy a $100 Magnaflow muffler hack it up and call it a SC400 specific, performance tuned, axle back exhaust system. What a joke. I can't wait to hear what they have to say for themselves. I know I paid way to much for this MAGNAFLOW or I mean RMR exhaust so please guys don't rub it in. Ha Ha. When I called yesterday they told me that they would pay for return shipping and credit me back my entire amount. They think that POSSIBLY I got the wrong exhaust. Yeah right. I think possibly they got busted because I could actually read the word MAGNAFLOW across the canister. I bet MAGNAFLOW would be pissed to find out another manufacturer is making 3 times what they get for selling their same products with a slight modification. If anyone has pictures of their Rod Millen SC400 axle-back exhaust system, as well as dimensions, build material, I would greatly appreciate it. Please PM me and I will give you my e-mail address. Thanks

Last edited by 98supra6sp; 02-12-08 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-12-08, 07:10 AM
98supra6sp
Driver

I looked everywhere on this exhaust for a MAGNAFLOW model # or a pretend RMR model #. None could be found. Who else on this forum recently purchased one of their exhaust systems, and if so how long ago, and is it at all similar to this hack job that I received.
Old 02-12-08, 07:12 AM
98supra6sp
Driver

I ordered this exhaust from a very respected Vendor (I'll leave it at that) and than they had RMR drop ship it to me. I sent RMR the photos and I am waiting for someone to get back to me. The good thing is that they sound like they will make things right by refunding me in full. The bad thing is what the hell happened to the RMM exhaust that I wanted so badly.

Your order is in your shopping basket below.

Be sure and review quanity and delivery method. Once adjustments have been made to quanity, shipping or tax, just click on the recalculate button below. To remove an item, click the "remove" button.

Quantity Descripton Part# Cost Each Total
RMM SC400 Sport Exhaust System (92-97) RMMSCEX40 $675.00 $675.00
Choose a Shipping option
U.S. Mail 1st Class (Catalogs, Decals, Promotional Items ONLY), mailed to U.S. addresses) ($29.95)
PRODUCT SHIPPING VIA UPS Ground (not catalog orders) ($29.95)
This flat processing fee is only used when you have just ordered Free Catalogs Only (for USA Customers) ($6.95)

Sub Total $675.00
Select the "Radio-Button" at left for proper mailing or shipping method according to item and region. Then click on the "recalculate" button below and the proper charges will appear here and at the total below. $29.95
Tax $0.00
Total $704.95

Last edited by 98supra6sp; 02-12-08 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-12-08, 07:28 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I still dont know who Rhys is.
Old 02-12-08, 07:47 AM
snidehocke
Driver

yeah I saw Rhys too...the box says Rhys Millen Motorsports. Maybe Rhys was his ricer brother. Hey Rhys could be pronounced Rice! Think we figured it out. Rice Millen Motorsports.
Old 02-12-08, 07:47 AM
98supra6sp
Driver

Now I see what Rhys is. I never even saw that on the box top. I have been so worked up about this. I went back and listened to youtube postings with the RMM exhaust and loved it. People commented how it was somewhat like the MAGNAFLOW 14829's. I guess mine is even closer to sounding like a Magnaflow. But I am sure that the tip and elbow with the flange adds at least 7-10 H.P. on it's own. Way to go Rod Millen R&D department. (RMM) should stand for RICE MILLEN MAGNAFLOW exhaust systems. The new RMR might stand for RICE MILLEN'S RAPING my A$S with the high price of this exhaust system.

Last edited by 98supra6sp; 02-12-08 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-12-08, 08:53 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Rhys Millen is the son of racer ROD Millen so there is relation between the two. Also I think that RMM and RMR are the same company because on the website both Rod Millen Motorsports and Rys Millen Racing logos are posted at the top of the page. Maybe when they came together some changes were made and the exhaust was one of them. Here is the website
http://www.rodmillenstore.com/default.aspx
Old 02-12-08, 09:29 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by StiCk3
Rhys Millen is the son of racer ROD Millen so there is relation between the two. Also I think that RMM and RMR are the same company because on the website both Rod Millen Motorsports and Rys Millen Racing logos are posted at the top of the page. Maybe when they came together some changes were made and the exhaust was one of them. Here is the website
http://www.rodmillenstore.com/default.aspx
Yup that is correct. I have seen Rhys Millen drift at the d1gp with a domestic car. I think it was a pontiac gto or solstice.
Old 02-12-08, 10:19 AM
sc300s13
Driver

besides that the welds look like they could rust anytime, yeah rhys is a drifter and rally racer, but he is well known because of his exposure in drifting, really good dude, good driving skills..
Old 02-12-08, 11:09 AM
98supra6sp
Driver

Well, I spoke with RMR this morning. They said that the mufflers used in this SC400 have always been contracted through MAGNAFLOW. He said that this muffler made by MAGNAFLOW was specifically tuned and tested for this application. As far as the word MAGNAFLOW plastered across the top and bottom of the muffler canister, they only get blank canisters if the have production numbers are over 250 mufflers ordered, than they get their exclusive NO NAME canister. They were very nice about it and agree that this muffler should have never left their facility in the condition that it arrived to me in. They want to send me a call tag for a return. All SC400 RMR mufflers will have MAGNAFLOW written on them unless the demand goes through the roof and they place a huge order with MAGNAFLOW for the blank ones. I am still trying to decide what to do with this one. I am waiting until tomorrow to hear back from the Sales Manager. They did offer me a full refund. So I am starting to calm down. What is a RMR worth with the word MAGNAFLOW across it--that is my question to you guys???

Quick Reply: RMR SC400 axle-back exhaust my lordy I'm flummuxed