Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Some Diff options...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-08, 09:48 AM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some Diff options...

Hey,

I've been doing some research, and I've noticed the IS300 guys can use the MK3 Torsen and clutch type LSDs in their pumpkins. Since those units are interchangeable with Supra units, would I be able to fit one into my Sc300? What other LSD options do I have that are less than, say 400 bucks?

My open diff has over 207k on it, and I'm sure it was neglected and abused, and I'm looking for a good LSD option that won't break the bank, as my build is VERY budget oriented.

Thanks,
-Freddy
Old 02-05-08, 10:01 AM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aww.... you and your budget... lol.. jk Freddy.....
Good question indeed.... it just might work... see what the pros have to say...
Old 02-05-08, 10:37 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i say weld the diff and call it a day. it cost me 50 bucks.

the other 350 bucks go on bars
Old 02-05-08, 11:08 AM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30

I mentioned the same thing to do for those wanting LSD in the maxima transmission but I was told it will effect driveability... Will it create a harsh ride? I mean, I would be driving mine daily...

Tav, you see that... WELD IT BUDDY!... lol....
Old 02-05-08, 11:13 AM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30

I'd also like to know the ride quality, tire wear, and how it behaves on turns. I don't want this thing sliding out in the rain.
Old 02-05-08, 12:13 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've heard bad things about welding the diffs. It works fine, but if the welds break at high speed you're in serious trouble. It was in a drag racing discussion though, I don't know what you're using yours for.
Old 02-05-08, 12:17 PM
Rexn30
Pole Position

Ya if the welds break, like Gunnar said at high speeds... your going to be sliding going 80 ha. But I have saw people that do very nice welds and they been on a welded dif for over a yr
Old 02-05-08, 12:27 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i daily drive my car and drift it in the summer at Drift days. i had the diff welded in August and its still holding.

if you floor it through every turn in th rain then yeah it will kick out. if you modulate the throttle is not a problem. ive been driving it in the snow as well with no complaints. i dont mind the shudder and little hopping at slow speeds. females that ride with me usually ask questions but i dont care.

if you are a "typical" lexus owner/tuner then it is not for you. by typical i mean a person that wants all the benefits with no draw backs. like getting performance coilovers and retaining stock feel for the ride.

i honestly dont care about comfort as mcuh as i care about the handling of the car. anything that will improve it...i welcome it.

you dont want to weld the diff on a FWD car like a maxima. it wont drive right afterwards. for FWD cars you need an actual LSD.

i had a buddy break the welds on the diff. he rewelded it and all good to go
Old 02-05-08, 01:00 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The MK3 differentials will not swap. They have the same ring gear diameter and bolt pattern on a 200mm ring with ten bolts, but the width of the differential itself is different and will not comply with our rear end housings. The IS300 is a different animal from the SC in this regard.

If you are looking for a budget alternative, I say just get a replacement rear end from Gazi (CL Member: Aliga). He can get you the rear end from an SC3 or SC4 with low miles for under $200 shipped to your door.

An LSD is definitely awesome, but you can't expect to get one for peanuts. The LSD is an expensive piece of any SC build up, and there is almost no getting around it.

A Torsen from a MK4 would be perfect for your purposes, but they are not cheap. I found mine on the Supraforums classifieds for $400. 6MT Torsen LSDs are becoming easy to come by, but the TT Auto Torsen LSD is really tough to come by (because all of us Lexus guys ****** them up at first sight).

Just get a replacement from Gazi and call it a day. The welded differential will sacrifice driveability moreso than a Torsen LSD. In fact, the Torsen will not sacrifice any driveability. It is a grat unit, but it comes at a price.
Old 02-05-08, 01:19 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

What I mean to say is fit an IS300 rear into my SC, with the MK3 LSD in it. Since the IS and MKIV are interchangeable, I don't think there would be an issue. Or am I wrong?

if I get another diff, it's going to be LSD. I can try welding it, and I threw some luxury out the window when I put in racing seats, weight reduction, and a drop, not to mention my fire extinguisher, but it will be my daily driver, so I don't want anything that has a ****ty feel.
Old 02-05-08, 02:11 PM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Blizzy
The MK3 differentials will not swap. They have the same ring gear diameter and bolt pattern on a 200mm ring with ten bolts, but the width of the differential itself is different and will not comply with our rear end housings. The IS300 is a different animal from the SC in this regard.

If you are looking for a budget alternative, I say just get a replacement rear end from Gazi (CL Member: Aliga). He can get you the rear end from an SC3 or SC4 with low miles for under $200 shipped to your door.

An LSD is definitely awesome, but you can't expect to get one for peanuts. The LSD is an expensive piece of any SC build up, and there is almost no getting around it.

A Torsen from a MK4 would be perfect for your purposes, but they are not cheap. I found mine on the Supraforums classifieds for $400. 6MT Torsen LSDs are becoming easy to come by, but the TT Auto Torsen LSD is really tough to come by (because all of us Lexus guys ****** them up at first sight).

Just get a replacement from Gazi and call it a day. The welded differential will sacrifice driveability moreso than a Torsen LSD. In fact, the Torsen will not sacrifice any driveability. It is a grat unit, but it comes at a price.
OT - but how in the world did you gain access? Do you have a mkiv vin #?
Old 02-05-08, 02:25 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

^^what do you mean? Did they change the rules about joining or something?
Old 02-05-08, 02:49 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tavarish
What I mean to say is fit an IS300 rear into my SC, with the MK3 LSD in it. Since the IS and MKIV are interchangeable, I don't think there would be an issue. Or am I wrong?
The IS300 differential is not like the SC/GS/MKIV differential, nor is it interchangeable. I am not sure where you have heard this.
Old 02-05-08, 09:33 PM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tavarish
^^what do you mean? Did they change the rules about joining or something?

sorry for the OT on your thread Tav... I attempted to register and they asked for a VIN#... lol... w/o it, I cannot register...unless I am missing something..
Old 02-05-08, 10:08 PM
Kruso
Driver

Welding = NOT a pleasant driving experience. Its like driving my Tacoma with the TRD E-Locker on continuously enabled. If you know of a buddy of yours with a TRD Taco... ride it with the locker on to get a better idea of what to expect if you're even slightly thinking of this mod.

Kruso

Quick Reply: Some Diff options...