Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Newbie with a trans question

Old 01-31-08, 11:01 AM
Enzo_Guy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with a trans question

Hey guys, I work at Sheehy Lexus of Annapolis and I guess that is where I have developed my love for the early SC models. However, I tend to lean more towards Chevy/GM when it comes to performance because that is what I was born and raised with. I was considering an SC300 and working my own turbo system onto it for a good solid NA-T that will be a weekend-only car as I already have a Cobalt LT that should last me many more years as the daily.

Now, my transmission question is specifically for the manual versions (as I am looking at buying a 5-speed SC300). I know the Getrag V160 Supra 6-speed is the king of the block for the tranmission swaps, but I may turn this thing into an almost-pure-blood-racer one day and I just can't seem to be happy with those V160 prices. Being a Chevy guy I know the T56 very well and I was wondering if there is a bellhousing available that will link the T56 up to the SC300's 6-banger (I saw one for the 1UZ, but I don't think that will work). Also being a Chevy guy, I know a few little tricks with the T56 to get it into cars it shouldn't be in (particularly RX-7s) so getting it in should not be a problem, but I just need a way to mate it to the Toyota/Lexus motor.
Old 01-31-08, 10:09 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know there in an adapter plate in production for the TH400. A number of the automatic 2JZ guys go with the TH400 because even a built Toyota A transmission is incapable of holding SERIOUS power.

I am not sure how to get a TH400 adapter plate as I have not investigated this option much, nor am I sure of the cross compatibility between T56 and TH400 bellhousings. But, if I had to guess, there is a T56 bellhousing in production that would work with the GM/2JZ adapter plate in production.

Preliminary internet search has found the following:
http://www.atfbilletparts.com/index....30&language=en
http://www.atiperformanceproducts.co...pterk/akit.htm
http://www.clubna-t.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1467
http://www.rossmachineracing.com/supratransadapt.html
Virtual Works sells a kit [phone: (702) 891-5220]
Old 02-01-08, 08:30 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Boostlogic sells the adapter for the TH400... go ahead, ask me how I know

Good Luck with this man

Jonny
Old 02-01-08, 04:41 PM
Dramon
Driver

DaveH sells a TH400 adapter plate too.

EDIT: Actually I think he sells a kit.
Old 02-02-08, 03:07 PM
xtrmboost
Rookie

daveh (boostwerx.com) sells a kit, as does ross machine racing, and a couple of others. The t56 will fit the bellhousing to engine adapter plate. It will require a bit of massaging and maybe some cutting to fit the stock bellhousing in an SC tunnel. The problem might come when machining a flywheel to work, also is the t56 a push or pull clutch setup? I came to the lexus world after much research and trolling the f-body forums and my longtime friend and roommate has a trans am with a t-56 that has been trough more clutches and rebuilds than I care to count. Everything I have read coupled with my real world experience says the R154 is your best bet, its far cheaper, way easier to retro-fit, holds more power than the t56 (stock for stock and built) and doesn't go through clutches like the t-56. Six gears are nice to have but any way you look at it the R154 is the way to go. If you're set on the T-56: search supraforums.com, I came across a few threads there with people trying to get a t-56 in their supras so there might be some useful info there.