Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ in SC400?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-08, 03:43 PM
pmpdaddyt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1JZ in SC400?????

I've been searching for the past 45 min and i found a couple good threads but i need someone to put it all together for me, so here goes:

1. How popular is this swap into the sc400? i always hear of these swaps for sc300's.

2. Does the 1jz drop right in place of the v8 or will i also have to switch out the tranny. (i dont mind having an automatic)

3. How much hp can the stock tranny withstand? Would i have to add a torque converter?

4. How much will the swap cost me?

5. It would be cheaper than a 2jz swap right?

6. if i have to swap the tranny, are there 1jz engines that come with the tranny, if not what tranny would u reccomend?

7. how much could i get for my current engine? 92 v8 with only 68,000 original miles.

8. would it be easier to sell my sc400 and buy a sc300 5spd

thnx in advance. hopefully i can make a descision soon, tax returns are comin
Old 01-18-08, 06:11 PM
DJ420a
Pole Position

I'm gonna guess 99% of this forum is gonna tell you to search. Alot of these questions are on this forum. I have an SC400 as well that I plan on 1jz'n and I asked a few questions as well, which I didn't really think were easy questions and I didn't get any responses. I guess you have to be "in" to get a response here, lol.

Anyways, I been doing alot of research on this forum and many others for the past 2 months, so I'm gonna do my best to answer your questions.

Anyone that feels my help is false, please correct me.

1. I wouldn't call the swap "popular" in the SC400, but it has been done...it is
feesable.
2. The 1jz does not drop right in, you need diff motor and tranny mounts as well as a different driveshaft setup. There are a few other things.
3. The SC400 tranny can handle roughly 450ish till you start seeing probs.
4. The cost of the swap really depends on how much you wanna spend. Ive seen them from 900-2500+.
5. Ive seen 2jz swaps going for the same price as 1jz swaps.
6. Most of the time, you can get a motorset, which comes with a tranny. Other tranny's that can mate to this motor are the manual tranny's W58 and the R154.
7. Ive seen stock 1UZFE's going for roughly 700.
8. That really all depends on how much you wanna spend and how much time you wanna put in it. Really swapping the 1jz in doesn't bother me at all.

Good luck on what you decide.

PS- Where are you in MD? Im on the PA/MD line.
Old 01-18-08, 06:59 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pmpdaddyt
I've been searching for the past 45 min and i found a couple good threads but i need someone to put it all together for me, so here goes:
obviously 45 mins is not enough, i've been doing research for the past few days with no probs.

1. How popular is this swap into the sc400? i always hear of these swaps for sc300's.
it desn;t really matter if its an SC300 or SC400, it still works you just have to do a couple extra tid bits in order for it to work

2. Does the 1jz drop right in place of the v8 or will i also have to switch out the tranny. (i dont mind having an automatic)
yes, you just have to get SC300 mounts (SC400 mounts aren't angled properly. if you use the stock SC4 tranny you dont need anything else. If you use a manual tranny then you need the tranny crossmember and driveshaft

3. How much hp can the stock tranny withstand? Would i have to add a torque converter?
The A340E will hold up just fine until around 400hp+ then your gambling. A high stall TC would be a good investment

4. How much will the swap cost me?
tough to say, i say upwards of $2500

5. It would be cheaper than a 2jz swap right?
if you mean a 2JZ-GTE most of the time the GTE is more expensive. If you mean a 2JZ-GE then yes it would be a bit cheaper.

6. if i have to swap the tranny, are there 1jz engines that come with the tranny, if not what tranny would u reccomend?
the W58 from the stock SC300 5-speed works fine up until 400hp. the R154 on the manual 1JZ works up to 700hp, but its tough to find one out of a JDM soarer. the MKIII supra R154 works, but it needs major mods. Then there is the coveted V160 (Supra 6-speed), but you need the driveshaft and diff to make it work, not to mention it costs a very pretty penny.

7. how much could i get for my current engine? 92 v8 with only 68,000 original miles.
Thats some good numbers for that engine, might sell it for at least $1000 if your lucky.

8. would it be easier to sell my sc400 and buy a sc300 5spd
it would be kinda hard to find a good 5 speed (it took me a while to find one.) Just use the SC4 and you'll be fine.
Old 01-18-08, 07:08 PM
Kruso
Driver

I think DJ420A has covered most of it but here's a bit to add to it.

1. Not a popular swap.
3. If you're planning on using the 1J or even 2J, your tranny will NOT bolt up to it, so you need a new one regardless.
5. The cost factor between 1J and 2J is VERY close, I've seen both done. If you do the 1J you're gonna be wishing you had gone 2J instead.
6. Refer back to #3, as far as an alt tranny, DJ420A is right, R154 is best bang for buck, if you can find one out of Soarer.
7. Supply and demand... $200 to sky is the limit.
8. Your preference.

Kruso

ps... I've noticed that its hard to get the exact answer on this board here aswell but there are some member who are more then happy to contribute but sometimes it takes them a few days to chime in.

Last edited by Kruso; 01-18-08 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-18-08, 07:19 PM
Kruso
Driver

Originally Posted by StiCk3
if you use the stock SC4 tranny you dont need anything else. If you use a manual tranny then you need the tranny crossmember and driveshaft

The A340E will hold up just fine until around 400hp+ then your gambling. A high stall TC would be a good investment

it would be kinda hard to find a good 5 speed (it took me a while to find one.) Just use the SC4 and you'll be fine.
The stock SC400 tranny is the 30-40LE and will NOT bolt up to the JZ series engines. Below is a pic off of the SC400 tranny identification plate.

Kruso
Old 01-18-08, 07:24 PM
pmpdaddyt
Lexus Test Driver

thnx guys, really appreciate it.

dj420a -im in pg county, in upper marlboro, u must live near fredrick county md
Old 01-18-08, 07:30 PM
DJ420a
Pole Position

thnx guys, really appreciate it.

dj420a -im in pg county, in upper marlboro, u must live near fredrick county md
Im more Westminster, Taneytown area. I can get to Frederick in roughly 45 minutes.
Old 01-18-08, 08:13 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A search would have resulted in this:

The Big Bad 1jz into SC400 thread
Old 01-18-08, 08:32 PM
Seasian
Rookie

Ive been wondering the same things . If its such a comon question, why isnt one thread stickied with all of the info? Maybe Im just being lazy. Say I wanted to do a 2JZGTE swap into a 92 SC400 with a 5 speed R154 from the MK3 Supra. Can anyone give me an exact list of what I will need so a mechanic can get it done?
Old 01-18-08, 08:35 PM
pmpdaddyt
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by shern
A search would have resulted in this:

The Big Bad 1jz into SC400 thread
bless u shern, i tried 1jz, sc400 swap, and a whole bunch of other crap, thnx.
Old 01-18-08, 09:46 PM
Kruso
Driver

Originally Posted by Seasian
Ive been wondering the same things . If its such a comon question, why isnt one thread stickied with all of the info? Maybe Im just being lazy. Say I wanted to do a 2JZGTE swap into a 92 SC400 with a 5 speed R154 from the MK3 Supra. Can anyone give me an exact list of what I will need so a mechanic can get it done?
I'm sitting on both types of R154s currently and they are not at all alike specifically from the back. The MKIII R154 is not as beefier as the Soarer R154, but can be made to fit the SC w/o any issues. The shifter assembly has to be altered as well as the main shifter fork extended about 4 inches (if I recall correctly). MKIII's work off of a manual speedo so the Soarer speed sensor will need to be purchased and YES it is a direct bolt-on.

Kruso
Old 01-21-08, 02:44 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kruso
The stock SC400 tranny is the 30-40LE and will NOT bolt up to the JZ series engines. Below is a pic off of the SC400 tranny identification plate.

Kruso
im confused then. Why is it that the 30-40LE (or A340E same thing) cant bolt up to a 1JZ when its already found on 2JZ and 1UZ engines in our SCs? I always thought that the A340E could bolt up to any JZ series engine?
Old 01-21-08, 03:08 PM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

[im confused then. Why is it that the 30-40LE (or A340E same thing) cant bolt up to a 1JZ when its already found on 2JZ and 1UZ engines in our SCs? I always thought that the A340E could bolt up to any JZ series engine?[/QUOTE]

Dont really have a specific answer for u however, one of the guys on this forum adapted a v160(6speed) to the 1uz and had to use an adapter kit to mate the tranny to the block thus it dont fit (oj gloves) otherwise I doubt he would need the kit. auto trannys are cheap if you intend to go that route with any engine just try ebay or someone on here, everyone likes to switch over to manual not mention the amount of auto trannys to manual tranny ratio, when theres a lot of supply the price will be cheaper.. I swaped my 300 not to long ago and If I were in your spot your going to be stuck doing more wiring for the 400 might as well go 2jzgte just make sure you get a supra one and not the aristo (will be easier).
Old 01-21-08, 03:15 PM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

the sc400 trans is the same as the supra tt auto trans with different gearing.
Old 01-21-08, 03:53 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shonuff53
[im confused then. Why is it that the 30-40LE (or A340E same thing) cant bolt up to a 1JZ when its already found on 2JZ and 1UZ engines in our SCs? I always thought that the A340E could bolt up to any JZ series engine?
Dont really have a specific answer for u however, one of the guys on this forum adapted a v160(6speed) to the 1uz and had to use an adapter kit to mate the tranny to the block thus it dont fit (oj gloves) otherwise I doubt he would need the kit. auto trannys are cheap if you intend to go that route with any engine just try ebay or someone on here, everyone likes to switch over to manual not mention the amount of auto trannys to manual tranny ratio, when theres a lot of supply the price will be cheaper.. I swaped my 300 not to long ago and If I were in your spot your going to be stuck doing more wiring for the 400 might as well go 2jzgte just make sure you get a supra one and not the aristo (will be easier).[/QUOTE]

brain fart, should've known that....

I guess there is a difference between the one out of a 2JZ and the 1UZ. guess the bolt patterns are different, so the A340E out of a 2JZ will fit. srry for the confusion pmpdaddyt!

Quick Reply: 1JZ in SC400?????