Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

new sc

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-08, 08:59 PM
SCTOMPKINS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new sc

Just got a 93 sc400 with 150,000 and besides tinting the windows i havent done much. . needing some advice for small power add ons and better throttle response. . some extra mpg wouldnt be bad either. of course one day im planning on the twin turboing it but dont have the cash yet, id appreciate the help
Old 01-15-08, 09:33 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sadly, the 1UZ does not take very well to nickel and dime mods other than a BFI.

I would do a search for BFI (especially take a look at threads authored by Scotturnot...his BFI is pretty awesome). BFI = Big Freaking Intake. It involves hacking the factory intake air filter box to supply more air flow for better throttle response and a bit more power. If you search PlanetSoarer, you will find much original information about the BFI, including some flow data proving its worth as a viable performance modification.

For an inexpensive build, you are talking ~$20 in parts. Personally, I purchased handicapped parking signs made of high density plastic from my local hardware store for $4 to make the heat shield and weather shield. I wrapped them in heat resistent tape, and they have held up beautifully for over a year now.

If I were you (big aspirations and a limited budget), I would save up your money for something significant. KC95SC400 and I (among others) are throwing together cost effective centrifugal supercharger builds that should produce ~350whp with good throttle response for ~$2500. Considering a full exhaust from the headers back will run ~$1500 and only produce ~220whp, there is definitely value in being patient and going for broke.

In the meantime, definitely do a BFI. You will see an increase in economy while cruising and an increase power while getting on the throttle. Exhaust modifications without swapping headers will result in underwhelming performance gains with sound being the most major factor altered.

To milk the most out of the stock power production, a more aggressive torque converter and differential will get more of the engine's torque to the road. Lextreme rebuilds torque converters for a very good price (~$300) and an SC300 a/t differential can be salavaged very cheaply (~$150) However, both of these mods will come at the expense of fuel economy. With my 4.27 rear end from the SC300 a/t, the car sucks gas on the highway unless I stay under the speed limit...although it is much more fun to zoom around town.
Old 01-16-08, 03:45 AM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Blizzy, especially on the BFI upgrade. On pretty much any car, that is the best performance/$ upgrade you can do. There are a handful of experienced SC400 users on the forum, you can search for those threads as well. Blizzy, as well as SC400TT and ScottURnot are well known SC400 enthusiasts. Welcome to the forum