Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Single Turbo SC400 and Running

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-08, 07:56 PM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stevechumo
The internal is stock. Several of us ran twin turbo system up to 17 psi, or NOS on this engine and make 378 - 512 rwhp just fine. Comparing to stock 180 rwhp, that's a huge gain. So I'll just run for 12 psi to be safe. Several of them using stock tranny and they keep up just fine. I'll have the torque converter rebuilt for stronger and higher stall speed so the 1st breakable part is resolved. I'm also having the tranny cooler so that may help a lot for the tranny itself.

Twisted, you're right. It takes a lot of time to build it so it's understandable. I can build a Honda turbo system within a week, but this V8, oh man! But I think it's worth it.
Wow man. That's music to my ears when I hear that we don't have to change the internals.

What do you think about Lextreme TC? Damn man... You convince me to do this

You said that this cost you $3.5k... What are the parts that you bought to came up with that amount. I'm just thinking it's too much.
Old 01-11-08, 08:05 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JesLet
Wow man. That's music to my ears when I hear that we don't have to change the internals.

What do you think about Lextreme TC? Damn man... You convince me to do this

You said that this cost you $3.5k... What are the parts that you bought to came up with that amount. I'm just thinking it's too much.
My set up costs actually a lot less than $3.5K because I had done it A-Z, including only buying some unauthentic turbo parts. Time & brands are money, my friend. Even if you spend $3.5 involving some other shops helping you, that'll still be worth it. When I say $3.5K, you must have a design on your own, have good deals on somewhat high quality parts (not top of the line), shape the kit together, know what are involved in the right sequences, but let the exhaust shop finish the rest for you. If you just throw out the money and ask a performance shop to do this for you, $5K is easy to go out the door.

This the list for a low boost system that can cause your pocket to leak (not my list)

Garrett turbo: journal bearing T60, T04E, or T62 = $500-$600
or ball bearing GT35R, GT40R...= $1500
Wastegate: HKS, Tial, or other = $400 - $500
BOV: HKS, Greddy, or other = $300
FMU: $150
Manifold fabricated for both sides merging together for a single = $1500 - $2000 (This is the quote that I had from a local shop. I'm sure you can have them cheaper if you come to the right place.)
Catalytic Converters (cheap brand) = $70
Mufflers (cheap brand) = $100
Exhaust resonators (cheap brand) = $70
Labor to complete the exhaust system including the downpipe = $500
Other accessory parts such as oil lines, fuel lines, gaskets... = $150
Heat protection = $100 for thermal wrap or ceramic coating for $300
Fan swap to electric fans = $150 - $200

This doesn't include labor for the shop to put them together. It'll be another $300. As you can see, the total is around $4000 for a journal bearing turbo. Add another $1000 for a ball bearing turbo, and another more than $1K for running more than 9 psi for tuning, bigger injectors, ECU or just the fuel injector controllers.

The tip to cut this cost down is that you design the parts by yourself, tack-weld to shape the parts together and bring them to the muffler shop to finish them, know how to install the fans and the complete turbo system after the parts are ready. You can save thousands. That's the reason why many of us haven't done this unless we know how to do it to cut down the labor & design cost.

Lextreme TC is the best so far. No one reported broken yet. Several people have made more than 400 rwhp using it for so long.

Last edited by stevechumo; 01-11-08 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-12-08, 05:11 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Steve:

Really nice project!!! I have been following this project from the beginning, and I am impressed with the simplicity, and cost effectiveness of it! Great to see yet another turbo SC400 on the streets...It sure has taken a while...But the trailblazers are out!

Can't wait to see the videos...

Tony, just jump on it and Do It!!!

Ryan
Old 01-13-08, 01:38 PM
crx378
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

prices on that list look to be for new parts. so you may be able to shave some more off that by view the local classified section. good deal
Old 01-15-08, 12:35 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by crx378
prices on that list look to be for new parts. so you may be able to shave some more off that by view the local classified section. good deal
Right on! You can save the cost by having the used good turbo. I paid $100 for the rebuilt one. It runs fine so far. I think the China turbos are getting really good now. My friend has a set of the T3/T04 and they look just the same as the high quality Garretts. You can also use the copied BOV and wastegate. This so far shaves you almost $1K. You can get used authentic ones if you like. I'm using the copied BOV and wastegate and they're good so far.
Old 01-15-08, 05:36 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the stock maf sensor can read that much air flow? what size injectors are you using on your low boost tune?
Old 01-15-08, 10:21 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 19psi
the stock maf sensor can read that much air flow? what size injectors are you using on your low boost tune?
The stock SC400, GS400 or even LS400 MAF can accept very high boost. This is really amazing for Toyota engineering. Several of us have run around 17-20 psi with it fine. I'm currently running stock injectors with the FMU. I'll put in the Supra 298 cc/min injectors in a short time and see how the car runs. The final goal will be stock injectors with 2 1000cc/min injectors running 12 psi.
Old 01-16-08, 07:41 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Steve: Again, great project!!

I do not believe the stock MAF will handle much more than 15 lbs of boost safely without installaing a MAF clamp, and still, some sort of engine management. A FMU will help to a point, but as you well know, tuning is everything to maximizing power, torque and performance form any FI system. I do not recall what you are running on your system, and I am at work, so I do not have the time to read back in your thread right now, but I know you know what you are doing, so do not take this as questioning you at all...

As I am sure you also know, one has to really increase fuel pressure if one increases beyond the stock parameters for boost, and fuel. There are many potential problems with increasing fuel pressure on the stock injectors, and yet keeping the ratios properly set for all the different load ranges we can put on our engines during daily driving.

Anyway, again, I know you know all this, but I wanted to mention just because there are some out there that do not, and I wanted to assist there. Hope I did not overstep my bounds...

Again, your project is phenomenal, and I am truly impressed!!!

Ryan
Old 01-16-08, 10:07 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Ryan,
Thanks for reminding me. I'm not exactly sure if the stock MAF can max out at 15 psi. You may be right. It's just that I see David, Morris, Chrisman or maybe Rdmfan all passed 15 psi without mentioning any modified MAF.

For fuel, I appreciate that you reminding me. Yes, I know that fuel supply is the major and critical thing for the turbo system. I already have the FMU for low boost with stock injectors. I have a set of Supra injectors and I'll toss them in and run 9 psi after I dyno the car with stock injectors. The final goal will be 12 psi to be on the safe side with 2 1000 cc/min injectors and the Split Second (I think Morris and Justen ran 15 - 17 psi with stock engine, and David ran 20 psi with stock engine and thicker head gaskets.)

1 thing I like about the SC is it idles very lean, but once I step on the gas, the AEM wideband reads 12:1 easily.
Old 01-16-08, 11:01 PM
qksl2
Pole Position

The stock maf will not "max out" at any particular PSI. Airflow will vary at the same psi on different motors/turbos/etc. The maf may have a maximum airflow voltage that it can send, and that is when your maf is "maxxed out", not at any particular psi.

Project looks awesome! Where in socal are you?

Ian
Old 01-17-08, 05:26 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Steve, thanks for being such a cool guy...Morris ran an APEXI SAFC to control fuel, and Chrisman made his own version of a Piggy-Back to handle the extra air and fuel...I do not know what Justen did.

I sent you a PM about the Split Second as well. Hit me back when you get a moment...

Ryan

Originally Posted by stevechumo
Ryan,
Thanks for reminding me. I'm not exactly sure if the stock MAF can max out at 15 psi. You may be right. It's just that I see David, Morris, Chrisman or maybe Rdmfan all passed 15 psi without mentioning any modified MAF.

For fuel, I appreciate that you reminding me. Yes, I know that fuel supply is the major and critical thing for the turbo system. I already have the FMU for low boost with stock injectors. I have a set of Supra injectors and I'll toss them in and run 9 psi after I dyno the car with stock injectors. The final goal will be 12 psi to be on the safe side with 2 1000 cc/min injectors and the Split Second (I think Morris and Justen ran 15 - 17 psi with stock engine, and David ran 20 psi with stock engine and thicker head gaskets.)

1 thing I like about the SC is it idles very lean, but once I step on the gas, the AEM wideband reads 12:1 easily.
Old 01-17-08, 05:32 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by qksl2
The stock maf will not "max out" at any particular PSI. Airflow will vary at the same psi on different motors/turbos/etc. The maf may have a maximum airflow voltage that it can send, and that is when your maf is "maxxed out", not at any particular psi.

Project looks awesome! Where in socal are you?

Ian
Ian, correct, but the voltage on the stock MAF is extremely low, and difficult to "re-tune" even with a Piggy-Back, especially after essentially doubling injector size and power. When going to extreme power, or high boost, the stock ECU has a tendency to continue to compensate for the different settings, and seek the "stock equillibrium" that the manufacturer set up. This can become problematic, and require several tunes before it learns, and perhaps allows the settings. There are fixes for it, but for really high boost, that is why so many eliminate the MAF and stock ECU, and add a stand alone and MAP sensor instead...

Ryan
Old 01-17-08, 06:37 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

I am helping Steve with his fuel. I am also currently working on an extra injector system for my M112 supercharger too. Here are few pictures of it:

However, Steve's will be much better setup then mine.
Old 01-17-08, 07:49 AM
qksl2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SC400TT
Ian, correct, but the voltage on the stock MAF is extremely low, and difficult to "re-tune" even with a Piggy-Back, especially after essentially doubling injector size and power. When going to extreme power, or high boost, the stock ECU has a tendency to continue to compensate for the different settings, and seek the "stock equillibrium" that the manufacturer set up. This can become problematic, and require several tunes before it learns, and perhaps allows the settings. There are fixes for it, but for really high boost, that is why so many eliminate the MAF and stock ECU, and add a stand alone and MAP sensor instead...

Ryan
I agree. We rarely tune cars and leave the maf. We find that street cars running a map setup are much more reliable and predictable. I just meant that there isn't a certain boost that the stock maf will fail at. It simply isn't the right solution at all for much more than stock power, imo. Obviously it can be done, but I'm in the business of making things better, not just getting by! ;-)

Ian
Old 01-17-08, 08:52 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by qksl2
I agree. We rarely tune cars and leave the maf. We find that street cars running a map setup are much more reliable and predictable. I just meant that there isn't a certain boost that the stock maf will fail at. It simply isn't the right solution at all for much more than stock power, imo. Obviously it can be done, but I'm in the business of making things better, not just getting by! ;-)

Ian
There you go... You are the man...

Ryan

Quick Reply: Single Turbo SC400 and Running