Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Manual to Automatic Conversion, I need to pick your brains!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-08, 01:19 AM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual to Automatic Conversion, I need to pick your brains!

This seems like a funny post, but does anyone know if there has been a successful 5 Speed to Automatic Conversion? I will be transplanting my M/T from my first SC300 (1992) to my second SC300 (Vin label says 03/1994), and taking its A/T and putting it back into the first. Does anyone know if there are additional steps required? From all my reading and research, the only modifications done to the body/shell of each car is:

*On the A/T Shell, there is a punch outline for the clutch at the firewall, as well as a punch outline for the M/T shifter cutout. I will measure the shifter position on the M/T Shell to make sure I'm accurate. I will weld a plate to cover up the previous hole.

*On the M/T Shell, I will have to punch out the outline for the Automatic area (I can measure the whole according to the A/T Shell) and once again fill in the hole of the previous shifter, as well as the hole for the Clutch assembly.

Am I missing anything drastic? The only feat I am worried about , is the dash. I want to get both cars back to a like-stock appearance/performance. Will trading the 2 dashes create any problems? Will the Gear Lights and O/D light still function properly, or is there an entire harness I need to swap out? Please let me know, I've searched and asked a lot of questions, this is my last step for preperation. Thank you!

Last edited by DasBach; 01-02-08 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Mistyped VIN information
Old 01-02-08, 05:33 AM
Zeal3
Pole Position

ummm. why not just drive the auto when u want to drive the auto or drive the manual when you want to drive the manual?
and there is another member doing the same type of swap.
Old 01-02-08, 06:02 AM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by OhxPoopy
ummm. why not just drive the auto when u want to drive the auto or drive the manual when you want to drive the manual?
and there is another member doing the same type of swap.
Gas Prices, maintenance costs.... not worth keeping two cars around. I already have a DD Bike, dont need 2 Sc300s around
Old 01-02-08, 09:25 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The main ECU will need to be swapped because the MT ECU can not control the AT (although the AT ECU can run the MT by thinking the car is just in neutral).

Swapping the cluster would be wise. Getting in there to swap it out is not difficult: four screws and five minutes. I am not certain if there will be any rewiring necessary in the cluster to get the tach signal right, but swapping the clusters would be wise.

I would swap the rear ends as well to allow for no speedo error. The AT has a 4.27 rear end versus the MT with a 4.08 rear end.

I think your biggest hurdles will be electrical, not mechanical. The transmissions and the transmission bits should swap like they are made for each other. Getting the ECU/Clusters to work will be the toughest part of the job.
Old 01-02-08, 09:39 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Thats the part that I was worried about, was the electronics. I sent you a PM Blizzy, about a more in depth question.
Old 01-07-08, 10:53 AM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

hey guys. I am very curious about this topic. There appears to be a lot of people that "have" done this type of conversion / swap but, there is a very short supply of photos of peoples cars that have done this. I have a GS4, don't hate me. I think that the process would be very similar for any of our cars. A few of the issues that are really of a concern for me.

1. Clutch pedal where do you get a pedal that will fit in your car.
2. The transmission tunnel.
3. E-brake there is a reason they do not want a foot operated ebrake when you have a clutch pedal. Imagine hitting that while speed shifting.
4. Center console.
5. I think that you could fake out the Auto ECU with resisters.
6. Speedo.. I have read that the Speedo reading comes off the ABS system?

Again... I WOULD LOVE TO SEE MORE PICTURES OF SWAPS!!!

BP
Old 01-07-08, 11:41 AM
Blk97SC300
Lead Lap

you could fix the speedo error with a YellowBox. It's only $100, and it'll correct your speedo