Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Rebuilding a 2jzge question

Old 12-30-07, 07:31 PM
Toshima
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rebuilding a 2jzge question

Well I was think about rebuilding my 140,000 mile engine in my 93 sc300. I think the valve seals are leaking a little. I get some small amount of smoke on startup some times. Plus the timing belt needs to be changed has some real tiny cracks in it. So I figure since I have to take the head apart to replace why not take the engine out and do a full rebuild. Since I have heard that the stock 2jzge can hold 700hp. I would like to do a close to stock rebuild. Since I will probably never even make that. I found a rebuild kit for $1099 from http://www.importperformanceparts.net/ comes with:

-Complete Gasket Set
-Cometic Head Gasket
-ROSS/Wiseco Forged Pistons
(86, 86.5, 87mm) and
(8.5-1, 9-1, 10-1, 11-1 comp ratio)
-Performance Rings
-Performance Wrist Pins
-TOGA HP Main Bearings
-TOGA HP Rod Bearings
-Thrust Washers
-Timing Belt

I was wondering have anyone ever bought this kit from them? Is there a better rebuild kit out there for around the same price? Will the ROSS/Wiseco Forged Pistons work with stock rods? Also anything else I should upgrade when out? Any thing bad about this rebuild? Thanks
Old 01-01-08, 11:02 PM
Toshima
Pole Position

Anyone know?
Old 01-02-08, 03:00 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

are you going turbo or NA? i would say take it apart first and see the condition of the motor and go from there. i rebuilt a 7M for a buddies mk3 supra and it looked amazingly good after over 120k of abuse. if you will be using your car as a DD then you dont need a full rebuild with pistons and wrist pins.

everything will depend on your power goals. if you want something conservative stock pistons will work fine. im pretty sure they are forged. you will just have to put new rings on them. the rods will work too.

how much hp are you planning to make? i can help you from there
Old 01-02-08, 07:43 PM
Toshima
Pole Position

Its sometimes a DD but I have another car so down time wont be a problem. I would like to go nat thats why I was just going to do a rebuild since I will have everything apart. My power goal I would like to get into the 400, but once I get there I will probable want more. I guess I could just get a re ring kit, but I would like the reassurance of having new pistons.