Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Power Steering Res Relocation

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-07, 02:05 AM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Res Relocation

Hi,

I've searched and found one can't use the GE power steering reservior if they try to swap in the GTE because the intercooler piping will hit the GE reservior. Just for clarification, the GE has the reserviore right next to the pump. Since the intake manifold wraps over the head, there is no interference with any piping. The TT reservior is mounted remotely right nearer to the fuse box.

I was wondering if anyone has ever just relocated the powersteering reserviore and kept the GE reservior.

I was thinking that all one has to do is make a mounting bracket next to the fuse box,and just have longer hoses to reach the distance.

Don't really know how much tt reserviors go for, and I can't seem to find a part number.

I haven't looked at all the details so please forgive me for my short sightedness.
Old 12-21-07, 03:28 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

You probably know that the GE and GTE PS pumps are identical. So, you're set there. However, you'll need the GTE PS hose fitting that's o-ringed to run a hydaulic line to a remote reservior. Unfortunately, that part alone is about $35.

You can select pretty much any PS reservior. I have a custom GE intake plenum that clears the driver side shock tower by about 1/4", and I still was able to adapt the TT reservior to fit in that location. However, I had to remove at least one of the mounting tabs to cram the reservior into a very tight location.

-scott
Old 12-21-07, 11:06 AM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by motorheaddown
You probably know that the GE and GTE PS pumps are identical. So, you're set there. However, you'll need the GTE PS hose fitting that's o-ringed to run a hydaulic line to a remote reservior. Unfortunately, that part alone is about $35.

You can select pretty much any PS reservior. I have a custom GE intake plenum that clears the driver side shock tower by about 1/4", and I still was able to adapt the TT reservior to fit in that location. However, I had to remove at least one of the mounting tabs to cram the reservior into a very tight location.

-scott
I read a little about that hose fitting also. Is that fitting part of the gte pump, part of the hose, or part of the reservior. I'm alittle confused about that part.

If its part of the pump i'm set since my gte is from a supra. If its part of the tt reservior then I might beable to skip it by using the na reservior. If part of the tt hose I'll have to buy it for sure since I don't have any tt hoses.

Anyone know where this fitting is? A part number or anything?
Old 12-21-07, 12:24 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lemmiewink
I read a little about that hose fitting also. Is that fitting part of the gte pump, part of the hose, or part of the reservior. I'm alittle confused about that part.

If its part of the pump i'm set since my gte is from a supra. If its part of the tt reservior then I might beable to skip it by using the na reservior. If part of the tt hose I'll have to buy it for sure since I don't have any tt hoses.

Anyone know where this fitting is? A part number or anything?
The PS pump fitting is sold separately, but it bolts into the same location as the NA reservior. Don't know the part number, but you can easily source one from Toyota.

-scott
Old 12-21-07, 01:13 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

so this fitting bolts onto the same location as the na reservior? which is basically at the pump? I'll have to check out my pump right now since there are cut hoses coming from it
Old 12-24-07, 02:28 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

anyone have experience with this?