Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Avalon Igniter

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-07, 01:50 AM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avalon Igniter

Well,

I was looking for a tt igniter, but I couldnt find one under 100 bucks. I ran the parts numbers through a database at a local dealer and up comes a hefty msrp of 530.70$! But the thing that really got me is that when the search automatically crossreferenced other cars with the same parts numbers,"1995 Avalon" popped up.

I've searched here in these forums and I found one thread that that the poster utilized the avalon igniter for his 1jz. I was wondering if this particular igniter is any different at all with the tt igniter, or are they one and the same?

I speculate maybe the connectors on the ignitor can only accept the connectors from the avalon.

Part # for reference : 8962122030

(BTW I've found igniters going for as low as 50 dollors at the junkyard. So if it is exactly the same, then I don't have to fork over 100+ $ for a tt one)
Old 12-21-07, 03:34 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

The TT ignitor is a "smart" ignitor. It will change coil dwell as a function of RPM. Most ignitors, however, are nothing more than a bank of transistors with some circuitry that notifies the ECU of proper operation.

I've used a Stealth GT ignitor, IS300 ignitor, and a TT ignitor, and they all worked. Basically, any Toyota ignitor should work nicely. My preference is the IS300 ignitor because it's designed for wasted spark which is what the AEM uses. Plus, the IS300 ignitor doesn't alter coil dwell.
Old 12-21-07, 11:10 AM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Well if that is true then I can use my GE ignitor. I can just swap the plugs in the harness. Interesting info about the IS300 ignitor though. Any particular year or generation?

Also I stll haven't figured out, except for the part numbers, if the avalon and tt igniter is exactly the same. Also If the avalon has a "smart" ignitor. Anyone?
Old 08-23-09, 08:42 PM
screaminsc
Driver School Candidate

i have a swap im doing and my ignitor plugs were cut i have the plugs and the map sensor but i have no idea the order these go into the plugs can any one help me out I've already extended the harness 20inches but im stuck now. With the the extension it was just time consuming but easy all the wires were there and virgin untampered with uncut so i could do it one by one but the ignitor i have nothing to go off of it was cut when i bought it?
Old 08-24-09, 08:14 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I borrowed zmegobys avalon igniter and it worked fine with the 1JZ.
Old 08-24-09, 08:55 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by screaminsc
i have a swap im doing and my ignitor plugs were cut i have the plugs and the map sensor but i have no idea the order these go into the plugs can any one help me out I've already extended the harness 20inches but im stuck now. With the the extension it was just time consuming but easy all the wires were there and virgin untampered with uncut so i could do it one by one but the ignitor i have nothing to go off of it was cut when i bought it?
Wow. Brought back from the dead after 2 years. Anyways.

Look at the FSM for your swapped engine and look at the ECU pinout and find the igniter signals. Also look at the igniter plug pinout. These will show you the routing of the wires from the ecu to the igniter. The terminals on the ecu plug and the igniter are numbered. Just trace and solder to the right terminal on the plug.