Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Alternator trouble? Help needed...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-07, 05:02 PM
Lucky Devin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator trouble? Help needed...

Ok folks, this all started the other day on my way to work. On the drive, I noticed that my battery warning light started to flash. I didn't think anything of it at the time because I have a 3 week old battery, and figured it was just the warning lights trippin a bit. Well, on that ride home from work, my CD player suddenly cut off, and my gauges started to dim to the point where I could barely make out the numbers, also all of the warning lights started to come on and off sporadically. I had to stop the car, fearing it would cut out on me in the middle of traffic and I'm glad I did because as I pulled into a McDonalds parking lot, the engine died. Tried restarting, no luck. Jumped it off, it ran for 5 seconds, then died again.

So, I take the battery to AutoZone just to see if by chance I got a dud (it does happen sometimes ya kno), and it was completely dead, not even able to be recharged so I was exchanged a new one. I put the new one in, and on my 5 mile ride home from where the car was parked the battery light started flashing again, and the gauges started to dim. Thankfully I was able to make it back to the house at least.

I'm most certain this is the alternator, what else could it possibly be?

Anyway, it's kind of a ***** getting that thing out of there isn't it. If anyone has had to replace the alternator on their SC400s, please let me know how much trouble you had with it, or if I am just doing something wrong. I'm not the most mechancially-inclined person when it comes to replacing things, but even with the help of a buddy of mine who is a mechanic at VW (but has taken the alternator out of a SC300) he was saying we would probably need to get it on a lift to get it out. What do you all think about that?

I've been checking around for prices as I'm not about to go through the local Lexus dealership whom I'm pissed at for unrelated reasons, not to mention the hiked cost of what it would be. At any rate, I checked around on the internet just for ****s and giggles and found a couple for $130-$150. My buddy at VW can get a discount (with a little scandalous action) and have it shipped to his shop. The price for a re-manufactured unit he got was $130 exactly, plus a 90 dollar core charge until we can bring the old one in.

Do any of you have a re-manned unit in your cars? I have no problems with getting a re-manned unit, as it would come with a albeit small warranty.

Any advice or information on any of these things is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-20-07, 01:28 AM
Lucky Devin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, this pretty much summed up the root of my problems with the alternaor from PlanetSoarer:

"The most common problem with alternators on the V8 Soarer ( Active suspension not applicable) is the power steering fluid leaking from the power steering pump on to the alternator which is located directly under. The fluid makes its way into the interior of the alternator and causes some sort of a short, blowing the alternator up. A quick and cheap way to rectify this problem is to fix the power steering pump at the first site of any leaking fluid. The most common problem with the pump, is the failure of the main shaft seal and/or main shaft bearing which is just as responsible for the leaking as the seal itself. This particular pump uses a single bearing which once worn out has a tendency to deflect the pumps main shaft caused by the tension of the main serpentine belt, this in turn puts the seal under increase workload on the tension side allowing for a small gap to open up between the main shaft and the seal on the non-tension side, pressure of the fluid usually finds its way out and on to the alternator. "

Yikes. Would you guys feel comfortable buying a PS pump and a re-manned alternator off of the internet given it's from a decent reputable company and that it has a warranty? That seems to be my best bet as far as price goes, I'll probably make my decision in the next couple days. I'd like to see what some of you who have had similar issues did to correct said problems.