Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

days and days of searching...started my swap, few q's

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-07, 09:13 PM
9secCivic
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default days and days of searching...started my swap, few q's

im obviously new to the site...been doing a ton of reading and searching, not really any posting.

between here and supra forums....all the information is contradicting. it seems some people know what they are talking about, and others are either guessing or trying to post based off of what they have read online. not too helpful lol.

anyways...my background is 99% honda based. i owened a MR2 back in the day, and have had my hands in a few supra projects..one made 1140whp and the other made 1350whp. both pretty sick cars.

i pulled the motor out of my 92 sc300 today that i recently picked up. one of my first rwd cars ive pulled the motor out of. i was pretty amazed how easy it all was. it was my first time doing it on this car, and it didnt take much longer if any to pull the motor out of this compared to the turbo honda's ive had.

here is a picture of my civic when the engine bay was all messy and cluttered.

i have decided to do a JDM 2jz swap. the car is auto and i plan to keep it auto simply because i have zero experience with automatic transmissions so this will force me to learn atleast a little something haha. half of my reason to do this whole project is to do and learn something different from what i am used to.

on to the questions: (keep in mind i have done A TON of searching)

1) again i have read it will work, and that it wont work...... with the aristo harness.....is there an AEM box that will plug into it?

again from what ive read it sounds like it will, but some pins will have to be moved.

-is this as simple as swapping some pins around and your good to go? if not, does somebody make a male adaptor so that i could make my own adapter harness?

2) i understand i can use my stock sc300 oil pan and just weld a fitting to it for the oil return..no big deal. is that all that needs to be changed under the car other than using the existing dipstick tube? is the aristo trans pan and stuff good to go or does any of that need to be swapped?

3)it seems that the aristo water pump and fan will not work.....will the factory sc300 fan work on a TT water pump? better yet will the factory sc300 water pump work on the 2jz block...b/c then i would imagine that the fan would have to work as well.

4)wiring, you knew it was coming. the engine wiring seems straight forward. possibly extend a few wires in the engine bay, and extend the harness to the ecu. now my question is do the plugs that go to the relay box or fuse box whatever it is near the battery plug in?

5) is it true that the auto sc400 driveshaft is just a bolt on and go type thing? if not, whats the answer. thats all i have found so far. i have read people having custom things made, but then other people saying it was unnecessary

i have decided there is no usefull wiring diagrams on the body plugs for the aristo swap so i guess i will have to pin out the entire engine harness and make my own diagram for the body plugs. i figure if i do that, i should be able to find the factory diagram for the multiple body plugs in the SC and put 2 and 2 together....unless somebody wants to PM me some usefull info. i'd gladely paypal you a few bucks if it will save me some time

i have found about 249,934 threads on people asking for the wiring info, but not once have i found any diagrams or such...pretty much is a bunch of threads asking people to search. i guess people have gone through a lot of work to make everything come together and dont want to just give out the information, which i completely understand. looks like i'll have to do it the hard way.

some of my random fabrication pictures to add something to the thread, so hopefully its not looked at as another one of "those" threads.

Last edited by 9secCivic; 12-11-07 at 06:20 AM.
Old 12-09-07, 09:15 PM
9secCivic
Driver

edited......

Last edited by 9secCivic; 12-11-07 at 06:21 AM.
Old 12-09-07, 09:31 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Cool stuff. That exhaust on that hatch is awesome. It looks like 4" piping, but whats the stuff on the end. Is it a resenator and tip that slips in the piping, andclamped with that chrome ring, maybe? Please explain.
Old 12-09-07, 09:38 PM
9secCivic
Driver

thanks. its a 4 inch aluminum exhaust with V-band connectors. v-bands are mandatory on exhaust work! no gaskets, no nuts and bolts....just one nut and you can take apart any connection in seconds. they come standard on most large turbos now a days.

the thing on the end looks and pretty much is just a restonator....its actually sold as a "race muffler". we are required to run a muffler in the classes we run in....and thats just enough to pass the rules haha.
Old 12-09-07, 11:45 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cool beans, but why did you run two tial wastegates??
Old 12-10-07, 06:47 AM
9secCivic
Driver

honda motors are very high reving (i rev mine to 11,000rpm) and very free flowing with huge cams, big portwork on the cylinder head, and a large turbo with a divided exhaust manifold.

they also make a lot of power, and being fwd we have traction issues. if i was to run 1 tial wastegate with a 10lb wastegate spring the car would probably creep so bad it would make 20-25lbs of boost. with 2 gates i can get it to hold 10lbs no problem.

also if i was to run 1 wastegate only 2 cylinders would be venting exhaust unless we ran 2 outlets that merged to 1, which is a pain in the butt.

the 1350whp supra i worked on would make 45lbs of boost with a 20lb wastegate spring. i added a 2nd wastegate to the manifold and was able to maintain 20lbs of boost. this was with a 91mm turbo, gt55r.

i appreciate any help anybody is willing to give very much
Old 12-10-07, 07:41 AM
yelloa3gti
Lead Lap

Good to see you get a correct wheel drive car. I have been answering as many questions as I can for Joe. Help him out people. As you can see he does some really crazy sick turbo fab work. Now he is going to do it to as SC which will be bad ***.

Now that you distracted everyone with the turbo eye candy im sure they didnt even see the questions you had. haha

i have decided to do a JDM 2jz swap. the car is auto and i plan to keep it auto simply because i have zero experience with automatic transmissions so this will force me to learn atleast a little something haha. half of my reason to do this whole project is to do and learn something different from what i am used to.

1) again i have read it will work, and that it wont work...... with the aristo harness.....is there an AEM box that will plug into it?

again from what ive read it sounds like it will, but some pins will have to be moved.

-is this as simple as swapping some pins around and your good to go? if not, does somebody make a male adaptor so that i could make my own adapter harness?

2) i understand i can use my stock sc300 oil pan and just weld a fitting to it for the oil return..no big deal. is that all that needs to be changed under the car other than using the existing dipstick tube? is the aristo trans pan and stuff good to go or does any of that need to be swapped?

3)it seems that the aristo water pump and fan will not work.....will the factory sc300 fan work on a TT water pump? better yet will the factory sc300 water pump work on the 2jz block...b/c then i would imagine that the fan would have to work as well.

4)wiring, you knew it was coming. the engine wiring seems straight forward. possibly extend a few wires in the engine bay, and extend the harness to the ecu. now my question is do the plugs that go to the relay box or fuse box whatever it is near the battery plug in?

5) is it true that the auto sc400 driveshaft is just a bolt on and go type thing? if not, whats the answer. thats all i have found so far. i have read people having custom things made, but then other people saying it was unnecessary

Last edited by yelloa3gti; 12-10-07 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-10-07, 08:21 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

I wish I knew more about the 2jz aristo swap so I could help you out but I dont.

I do know about the 1jz-R154 swap though. Your hondas look nice. great fab.
Old 12-10-07, 11:46 AM
9secCivic
Driver

thanks blair!

edited

Last edited by 9secCivic; 12-11-07 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12-10-07, 01:03 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like you've worked on some really sweet cars. Glad to have you in the SC community, can't wait to your car turn out.
Old 12-10-07, 02:59 PM
9secCivic
Driver

thanks man....

i think i have made up my mind to keep it simple and do a soarer swap. i will save me so much time and money....the whole objective of this swap was to have a cheap, fun car. adding up all the little things, the 2j swap just is more than i want to spend at the moment. i'll do a 1j with a single and eventually throw AEM on it. i dont really want to make a ton of power, and if i do i can always do a 2j block.

now i just have to find a swap. j-hot is out of stock at the moment.
Old 12-11-07, 07:17 AM
WICKED 1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 9secCivic
im obviously new to the site...been doing a ton of reading and searching, not really any posting.

between here and supra forums....all the information is contradicting. it seems some people know what they are talking about, and others are either guessing or trying to post based off of what they have read online. not too helpful lol.

anyways...my background is 99% honda based. i owened a MR2 back in the day, and have had my hands in a few supra projects..one made 1140whp and the other made 1350whp. both pretty sick cars.

i pulled the motor out of my 92 sc300 today that i recently picked up. one of my first rwd cars ive pulled the motor out of. i was pretty amazed how easy it all was. it was my first time doing it on this car, and it didnt take much longer if any to pull the motor out of this compared to the turbo honda's ive had.

here is a picture of my civic when the engine bay was all messy and cluttered.

i have decided there is no usefull wiring diagrams on the body plugs for the aristo swap so i guess i will have to pin out the entire engine harness and make my own diagram for the body plugs. i figure if i do that, i should be able to find the factory diagram for the multiple body plugs in the SC and put 2 and 2 together....unless somebody wants to PM me some usefull info. i'd gladely paypal you a few bucks if it will save me some time

i have found about 249,934 threads on people asking for the wiring info, but not once have i found any diagrams or such...pretty much is a bunch of threads asking people to search. i guess people have gone through a lot of work to make everything come together and dont want to just give out the information, which i completely understand. looks like i'll have to do it the hard way.

some of my random fabrication pictures to add something to the thread, so hopefully its not looked at as another one of "those" threads.
oilpan is a deffinite swap. as for the return line, its relevant to if you keep stock twins. i used the stock return for the twins but i went single.

as for the drive shaft it will work if you use the aristo or supra tranny.

WIRING HARNESS.....450 bucks and Phoenix tuning will wire it to plug and play. you just send him your 2 harness' it is just pins moving and plug changing but is it worth the time and effort. you will have to extend it 18 inches to get it into the cab. once he has done the harness it will just plug into the stock ecu or into a supra AEM standalone.
Old 12-11-07, 07:22 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

You rev your honda to 11,000rpm?!? Holy #%@* !

What happened to the pics?
Old 12-11-07, 07:42 PM
9secCivic
Driver

yea....its scary as hell at 11k on the dyno. i took down the pictures...wasnt really getting much help haha.

thank you wicked one for the help! im going to do a 1j right now.....i'll try to do another 2j down the road. seems like sending out your harnesses and paying the 450 is worth every penny and then some.

does anybody make a intake manifold for the 1j? havnt seen any. seen them for the na-t's and the 2j's. if not, i'll have to make my own.

here is a video of my hoopty civic on the dyno.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...eDynoVideo.flv
Old 12-11-07, 08:33 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

I reccomend you dont buy the complete 1jz, or if you do (from a soarer).. throw the 1jz head on the 2jzge bottom end. you will make more power and have better spool up for the turbo because of the added torque. You can find a 1j manifold on ebay from japan or something like that.. but I dont believe that there is a avaible aftermarket FFIM for them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1jzgt...spagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...spagenameZWDVW

Quick Reply: days and days of searching...started my swap, few q's