Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

06 350Z gone, SC300 Turbo???

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-07, 07:34 PM
Somy6
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 350Z gone, SC300 Turbo???

Hello everyone. My name is Sean, I am new here but loving the forum so far. Some really nice cars putting down amazing numbers. I had a 06 black 350Z with a bunch of mods:
Volk SF winning
Kinetix SSV intake manifold
Injen CAI intake
Eibach springs
Momo steering wheel
headers
test pipes
JIC Y-pipe
JIC single exhaust
Ings +1 lx sport lip kit
APR CF wing

Well i got in a really bad accident and its totalled. I am car shopping but for something not very expensive. I love how the the SC looks. I want to buy an SC300 and I am not sure what would be the right motor turbo setup and was hoping you guys could maybe help me out.
I want to push between 400 to 500 WHP range. I am not sure how to do that. do i have to get a 2JZGTTE swap and upgrade the turbo?? Can i just buy a turbo kit for the 2JZGE motor??
I really need some help here guys. I am almost recovered from the accident and cant wait to buy the car and start modding again. Thanks

And here is what i am hoping my SC Turbo kit would look like

Last edited by Somy6; 12-11-07 at 03:25 PM.
Old 12-09-07, 07:49 PM
sc300fan1
Driver School Candidate

i sold my o4 350z with some bolt ons. got me a sc300 and started moding it up. i still kinda miss the new car feel but its all good cause this is alot faster and gets more eyes. good luck
Old 12-09-07, 07:54 PM
sc300fan1
Driver School Candidate

the 2jzgte motor can run mid 400 hp range on stock twins, thats what current set up is. the 2jzge motor can do the same if turboed but the stock 5 speed tranny doesnt really hold up to 400 hp its kinda week in the sc300 becuse the sc300 is so heavy, i got right over 400hp with 3 mods with the gte motor. its the way to go.
Old 12-09-07, 08:10 PM
shlounek
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think there is a couple of ppl in Arizona that have turbo'd SC's one of the guys goes by the screen name ippyness works on them.

Also a close friend of mine from Michigan also moved up there Drives a Black Evo, me and him worked on my car alot when he was here cool guy very helpful.
Old 12-09-07, 08:32 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Somy6
I want to push between 400 to 500 WHP range. I am not sure how to do that. do i have to get a 2JZGTTE swap and upgrade the turbo?? Can i just buy a turbo kit for the 2JZGE motor??
400-500whp is a drop in the bucket for either the GE or the GTE engines (GTTE is a misnomer). Both motors are internally capable of making well in excess of 500whp without a rebuild. The GE motor will simply require a thicker head gasket to effectively lower compression. If you want to turbo the stock motor, be aware that you will need a motor healthy enough for boost.

The stock five speed transmission is only capable of holding 400whp before you start playing with fire. To make 400-500whp, a transmission swap to either the R154 5spd or V160 6spd will be recommended. Neither swap is easy since neither came stock on the SC300, but both have been attached to JZ series engines. A number of Club lexus guys run these transmissions. If you want an automatic, Boost Logic makes a stout a/t replacement that will hold the power you are proposing.

Most canonical turbo upgrades on the 2JZ (61-67mm turbo) can get you to 400+whp with the proper tune. Even the stock USDM twins on the GTE motor can make 400whp. You will simply need the fuel system to support that. USDM 550cc injectors from the GTE motor can be found cheaply and will make upwards of 500whp safely. You can probably get away with a single Walbro fuel pump as well.

You might search for threads from "BLK97SC300". He has a stock GE engine making 460whp through the stock 5spd trans. You might also search for threads by "Bean". Club na-t is also an excellent resource for information about slapping a turbo on the stock motor. If you are not looking to break the bank, an na-t set up on the GE motor is the way to go. It can handle it without a hitch, maintaining Toyota factory reliability.
Old 12-10-07, 05:12 PM
Somy6
Driver

You guys have been more than helpful. I really do appreciate all that.

Do you guys know around how much and what kind of a turbo would be to slap on the 2jz??
Old 12-10-07, 06:21 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

check http://www.clubna-t.com/forums/index.php?
the vendors there sell the dave-h turbo kit, boostlogic turbo kit, and XS power
Ive heard good things about all 3 but dave-h i think ive heard the most.
Old 12-10-07, 07:09 PM
Somy6
Driver

Ok now i am a lil confused. Why would anyone spend $4000 on a Turbo kit for the 2JZ-GE motor when they can do the 2JZ-GTTE for much less. I thought it would be around 2k or so without tranny. am i wrong about that??

I also have an E-manage blue but as far as i know it only controls Fuel and not timing. Is that true??

Ok honestly would any of you guys buy this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...spagenameZWDVW

thanks again guys
Old 12-10-07, 07:36 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Ok now i am a lil confused. Why would anyone spend $4000 on a Turbo kit for the 2JZ-GE motor when they can do the swap for less than that.
Most GTE motors for sale on the internet at various JDM importers are from Japan...duh. Well, the JDM 2JZ-GTE received less aggressive cams, smaller injectors, and ceramic turbos. The JDM 2JZ-GTE is handicapped in that regard. Making 400-500whp on the JDM 2JZ without at least swapping out the turbochargers is very tough since the ceramic turbos can only take 12-15psi with reliability.

While the JDM GTE will accept the USDM turbos, cams, and injectors, now you are spending another chunk of money searching down parts to make on the low side of your 400-500whp since even the stock USDM twins run out of breath before 500whp.

On the other hand, by putting a $4k turbo kit on the stock GE motor, you can make your 400-500whp numbers all day without anything additional.

I also have and e-manage blue but as far as i know it only controls Fuel and not timing. Is that true??
Most set-ups under in the 400-500whp can be run very effectively without alterations to the stock timing map on the 2JZ. I think that is yet another reason why the 2JZ is so popular.

You will certainly be able to milk a little more power and detonation protection from the motor with timing alteration; but, for the power levels you are proposing, you should have no issues running just an e-manage blue.

If you would prefer to run ignition, I believe Greddy sells an ignition control module and harness to work with the blue to upgrade you to a similar set-up like the Ultimate.

Ok honestly would any of you guys buy this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...spagenameZWDVW
I would not touch that with a ten foot pole.

Truthfully, if you are fully aware of the parts required for a turbocharger set up, you could hawk the Supraforums classifieds and piece together a quality kit to make 400-500whp for under $4k. CL member "Drewgo" sells a quality single turbo manifold for a good price. On Supraforums, you could find the turbo, wastegate, BOV, oil lines, injectors, etc. that you will need to run the numbers you want.

But, if you were looking to eliminate hassle and just get a kit, I believe Dave-H was running something absurd like 9's on his personal turbo kit. It is fully capable of making what you are looking for.
Old 12-10-07, 08:20 PM
100mgbluep
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blizzy
If you would prefer to run ignition, I believe Greddy sells an ignition control module and harness to work with the blue to upgrade you to a similar set-up like the Ultimate.
MSD sells the unit and wiring for $199
Old 12-10-07, 08:52 PM
Somy6
Driver

Blizzy you da man thanks for all the answers and your time. I had no idea that the JDM is different than the U.S spec 2JZ-GTE. So it seems like the turbo kit on the GE is the way to go i guess. I want the car to run safe, strong, and hopefully no trouble. Blizzy if i am not wrong here bro. I think here is what i need.

Mods(please add parts if i do need them)
DaveH turbo kit
Injectors
Walbro fuel pump
Install and tune the E-manage blue
Boost controller

Blizzy what do you think if i wanted some more power later, think i can put race gas and tweek it up a bit??
I cant push that much with the stock 5 speed that comes with the SC, what r my options here??
Would a motor with 117,000 miles hold after being boosted???

Last edited by Somy6; 12-10-07 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-10-07, 11:11 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Blizzy what do you think if i wanted some more power later, think i can put race gas and tweek it up a bit??
There are guys making 800whp on the stock GE block. There is no doubt that this can be done. Don't expect to make this kind of power with a 61mm turbo; but, there is no doubt that race gas can be used to make additional power on the GE block with any turbo.

I am not sure if the DaveH kit comes with it, but make sure you add a head gasket to your list. To make 400-500whp, you are going to need 20+psi of boost; you are liable to grenade your motor at the stock 10.1 compression with that much boost. A compression ratio in the vicinity of 8.5-9.0 is ideal for a turbo motor so long as you have a good tuner.

I cant push that much with the stock 5 speed that comes with the SC, what r my options here??
The stock 5spd will take ~375wtq before you start playing with fire. Guys have pushed it over 400wtq before, but no one in their right mind is drag launching with such power.

The R154 five speed from the Soarer would be the easiest swap option for the power you are after. Expect such a swap to run ~$2-3k since these babies are neither cheap nor easy to find.

The V160 six speed from the Supra TT would be the ideal option; but, the swap is not straight forward at all. You would need a custom driveshaft, new differential, new axles, etc. Nevertheless, the V160 is one of the better 1000wtq-capable transmissions ever built. A swap of this magnitude is ~$6-7k

Would a motor with 117,000 miles hold after being boosted???
It depends.

You would have to have a compression test conducted. If you are even across all cylinders, then go for it! If not, wait for another car to come along.

Realistically, a 70k mile motor might fail a compression test whereas a 200k mile motor may pass with flying colors depending on the service history and the factory-freakishness of the particular motor. It is impossible to tell until you run the test.
Old 12-11-07, 02:19 AM
240sxer
Pole Position

Great info blizzy.
Old 12-11-07, 02:14 PM
Somy6
Driver

Dude what can i say. You said it all
I am going to do the test. If the motor is good then i will take that baby. I am interested in the XS turbo setup it seems to be much cheaper. But it seems like i am still screwed with the tranny situation. I need more power than 375WHP. My cousin is driving a built motor 350Z pushin 523WHP at 15 psi with the Greddy TT kit. I love his car and want mine to be close to that. Well i will do the test. If its all good then i will go for it. I cant wait. I think this might be one of my favourite car out of the ones i had. I have had really nice cars but when it came down to it i was never satisfied with the performance.

95 M3 (great all around car but a lil on the slow side)
2000 Mroadster (only for a girl)
2002 M3 6spd (stability sucks)
06 350Z (Totalled, glad i am still alive)
Turboed SC300 (cant freakin wait) WOOHOOO

I have a set of Volk SF-winning. They were on my Z but some how they are in perfect shape and dont ask me how. I love those wheels. Think they can fit on the SC?? they are 19x9.5FR+19 and 19x10.5R+17 and the bolt pattern is 5x114.3
Yes, No, Maybe????

Last edited by Somy6; 12-11-07 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-11-07, 02:43 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

I have a set of Volk SF-winning. They were on my Z but some how they are in perfect shape and dont ask me how. I love those wheels. Think they can fit on the SC?? they are 19x9.5FR+19 and 19x10.5R+17 and the bolt pattern is 5x114.3
Yes, No, Maybe????
They will fit the SC (bolt pattern wise) but as far as fitment it will be a little aggressive, you will need to trim/ roll the fenders. Your old Z and our Sc430's have similar fitments, but when it comes to the older SC's you will need a fair bit of modifications to get it to fit.

I think (Ummgawd sp?) had rims with 350/g35 offsets and they looked mean on his car.

In my opinion it would look sweet if you went ahead and installed those on your new sc.

Quick Reply: 06 350Z gone, SC300 Turbo???