Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Can a factory fuel filter really be "Lifetime" ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-07, 10:32 AM
trackball
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a factory fuel filter really be "Lifetime" ??

Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I didn't see it when I did some searches on this topic.

My car is a 1997 SC400 with ~70,000 miles. The fuel filter on it looks to be original; connections look like they may be seized due to age / normal wear and tear.

After getting this car in the fall, I am getting ready to do some maintenance on it for the spring before putting it back on the road -- it's in storage for the winter.

I called the local Lexus dealer asking about getting a replacement fuel filter for the car. The parts guy seemed confused, saying that on these cars the filter is a lifetime filter and doesn't EVER get changed. I asked him why they sold the part if it never needed to be changed; he didn't know, but said they had worked on many of these cars and similar models, and the rule of thumb was that they never changed the fuel filter, that it was good for the life of the car. The guy almost tried to talk me out of buying one!

This doesn't make any sense to me. On my other cars, you change these every few years as part of standard maintenance. Searches on the forums here turned up people changing them when they were getting stalling symptoms, but not much regarding this otherwise.

Can anyone comment on how often they have changed their fuel filter, and whether this is truly a "lifetime filter" from the factory ??
Old 11-26-07, 10:36 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

moved..........
Old 11-26-07, 10:38 AM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

I've heard the same thing... Can't help you. =\
I'm getting really bad mileage and wanted to change it but the dealer told me the same thing
Old 11-26-07, 12:23 PM
jgdynamics
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

maybe they speak of the inner tank filter... ask for the in-line filter under the car... thats so dumb, i dont knoe why they make any type of filter that gets clogged.. "LIFETIME"
Old 11-26-07, 12:39 PM
Lexus082
Pole Position

That just sounds like b.s. Those filters are the same filter type used on many other cars. So why would this Lexus sc400 fuel filter be any different from any other car's fuel filter. They highly recommend changing the fuel filter on other cars... I think there just afraid of damaging the fuel filter connections. I've heard that before. I don't believe it one bit. Keep the same fuel filter on the car for 200-300,000 miles. While on other cars its every 30,000 miles or so. I've replaced mine twice since I've owned my sc.
Old 11-26-07, 03:21 PM
vntperform
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LGS4
Where is the fuel filter located at?
Rear driverside wheel well.

If you plan to change it I'd suggest spraying some PB Blaster on the fittings/thread of both ends and let it soak for at least an hour and then go at it with a metric flare wrench, or your likely to chew the heads up.
Old 11-26-07, 03:25 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Or take it to a shop, shell out the cash have fun watching ; )
Old 11-26-07, 04:18 PM
DJ TANTRA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Curry
Or take it to a shop, shell out the cash have fun watching ; )
lol, can't go wrong with that
Old 11-26-07, 05:43 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea I had mine changed at the dealer and one of the mechanics said that they don't like doing it and rarely do it. Even the service advisor was not completely sure of the going rate since they probably don't change it often. The filters should last a good amount of miles. I had about 120k when it was changed.
Old 11-26-07, 07:41 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

250+ miles on my sc4 filter and still good .But i dont think they are lifetime ,mechanics at dealerships are getting lazy so instead of trying to replace it the word lifetime is used p.s. most of the time the filter is stuck so bad you usually have to change the line going to the tank with the filter. Goodluck.
Old 11-26-07, 08:28 PM
Lexus082
Pole Position

I'm not comfortable leaving a fuel filter on there for that long. But that's just my opinion. At least I know my fuel pump won't go bad b/c I didn't change the filter.
Old 11-26-07, 11:50 PM
lxsv8
Rookie

The idea of a filter is to filter out any rubbish that may be in the tank or fuel. Eventually, if it is doing its job it must get clogged up or even inhibit the flow through it. I changed mine at about 50k just as general maintainence. Did it make a difference? - none that I noticed but it is a great car and I want to look after it.
Old 11-27-07, 07:00 AM
SLEXC400
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have over 200K miles on my original filter and the car runs flawlessly. I've seen filters on other cars start to plug up and when they do, there is a loss of power at high speed because the filter will not let enough fuel through. But that was in the old days prior to fuel injection. But the same thing would apply today ...
Old 11-27-07, 07:09 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

haha... I got major gas burns from changing this filter. My top layer of skin was falling off.

I still wound up having to change the line from the filter to the tank. I just used from rubber fuel lines and clamping it on the old metal piping.

My fitting was so messed up, there was no chance of it even going back.

Couldn't pay me to do it again if its never been done on that car.
Old 11-27-07, 07:54 AM
SteveTPA
Rookie

OUCH! Sorry to hear about that!

Quick Reply: Can a factory fuel filter really be "Lifetime" ??