Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need review on Short Throw Shifters.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-07, 09:21 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need review on Short Throw Shifters.

I have researched here (CL) and over the net, found quite a few shifters for the W58 transmission. I would like to post up a few models and see if anyone here has used them. Would like to get a review, I have found some that were not mentioned here from what I researched so far. And I have read alot of threads here. I also found some other sites with shifters but these seems to be the most consistent discussed here and other forums. Looking for a SC driver input, because it seems mostly supras guys have purchased them.

P.S. Is it me, or do they all look the same. I think I am going with the $279.00. I called 1 of the the 3 e-store. And they assured me that they will work on 92 SC300 W58 transmission. That would be company #1.

1. http://www.bestshortshifter.com/Temp...=22&SearchYN=N

2. http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/pric...Short_Shifters

3. http://www.suprasport.com/Quick-Shor..._p_74-176.html
Old 11-18-07, 10:19 PM
habitat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

300 dollars on a short shifter? I thought a short shifter was supposed to be a cheap upgrade... You can get 2 new tires in the rear for a much more dramatic improvement of handling and acceleration that will offset the fraction of seconds you save with a short shifter.

Sorry to be off topic, but I am pre MY95 and am bitter.
Old 11-18-07, 10:33 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Agreed. But the throws are too long and the shifter is too tall for me to really enjoy driving like I am use too. I am always missing 5th gear. $279.00 aint that bad considering the other place want $390. I guess there aren't anyone using either of this shifters on CL. I have to be the test subject.
Old 11-18-07, 10:54 PM
habitat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nate579
Agreed. But the throws are too long and the shifter is too tall for me to really enjoy driving like I am use too. I am always missing 5th gear. $279.00 aint that bad considering the other place want $390. I guess there aren't anyone using either of this shifters on CL. I have to be the test subject.
It did take me a while to get use to the weird Right-Up movement required to get into 5th gear, but I don't believe you can apply the word "miss" to 5th gear because it is just a cruise gear! Shifting quickly or slowly makes no difference! Still though, I think you'll be better off finding a man with a saw and welding experience for a fraction of the cost!
Old 11-19-07, 11:05 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by habitat
but I don't believe you can apply the word "miss" to 5th gear because it is just a cruise gear! Shifting quickly or slowly makes no difference!
I take it you've never raced another car that was still gaining at 120+ MPH?
Old 11-19-07, 04:47 PM
habitat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gunnar
I take it you've never raced another car that was still gaining at 120+ MPH?
Nope, I'm partial to acceleration and g-forces more that speed.
Old 11-20-07, 01:45 AM
Blk97SC300
Lead Lap

I bought a spare W58 transmission for $280.

IMO, a W58 tranny is worth quite a bit more than a short shifter. The gains aren't worth it
Old 11-20-07, 02:28 AM
TecnoSmurf
Lead Lap

I would like to get it not just for the gains but I want that tight snapy feel to the shifter. I think I would like driving my car better if it was like that.
Old 11-20-07, 07:17 AM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blk97SC300
I bought a spare W58 transmission for $280.

IMO, a W58 tranny is worth quite a bit more than a short shifter. The gains aren't worth it
HUH? I don't get your point. I already have a transmission, just want a quicker shifting shifter with more tactile feel. What are you trying to say?
They don't make many short shifters for the w series, hence the cost. Hey if CL can make some of the resellers a vendor well we will have a place to go. suprasport.com has great stuff. drivetrain.com is another.
Old 11-20-07, 04:00 PM
Blk97SC300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nate579
HUH? I don't get your point. I already have a transmission, just want a quicker shifting shifter with more tactile feel. What are you trying to say?
They don't make many short shifters for the w series, hence the cost. Hey if CL can make some of the resellers a vendor well we will have a place to go. suprasport.com has great stuff. drivetrain.com is another.
What I'm saying is that I wouldnt spend as much on a SHIFTER as I did on an ENTIRE TRANSMISSION. IMO, it just isnt worth it.
Old 11-20-07, 08:06 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Oh okay I understand. I guess you got a good deal. Good for you. Thanks for you input. I didn't buy a transmission it came with car. I needed input from someone whom have installed a shifter. But I will soon find out once it arrived. I will benefit from it and can enjoy the transmission on whole lot more. Right now, it feels like shifting a wooden spoon in a bowl of marbles. I was going to have the whole assembly replaced but the parts (new) was the same as buying the shift kit.
Old 11-20-07, 10:18 PM
DryBlaze
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first one looks like it would work for the pre 95's but does it really shortens the throws, thats the question.
Old 11-28-07, 05:15 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Got the shifter last week and installed it. I works as advertised and the quality is very well made, (Hefty). Easier to install then I thought. The shift has decreased by at least 50%, almost to the point that when you shift out of first you are already in 2nd gear. I will have to get use to it. But I must say,it is worth the money. The company wasn't sure it would work on the SC but now we know. He would love to do business on here.

Anyway I have some adjusting to do the shifter is a little stiff and need to be broken in. Screws maybe be a little too tight or something. But the spacing is so short it is exactly what I was looking for. I will post some pics tomorrow night. Oh and it's height adjustable too. Will keep you all updated.
Old 11-28-07, 05:47 PM
habitat
Lead Lap

Wow so now we have a definitive answer to "Can my Pre MY95 be fitted with a shortshifter?"
Old 11-28-07, 06:18 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by habitat
Wow so now we have a definitive answer to "Can my Pre MY95 be fitted with a shortshifter?"
yeah man...which shifter of the three pictured did you buy?

Quick Reply: Need review on Short Throw Shifters.