Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Mixed Topic: Mods going in, need parts help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-07, 10:41 AM
Devir
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mixed Topic: Mods going in, need parts help.

I've just secured some funds to provide a major overhaul to my Stock 1998 SC400. What I'm asking is some help with the parts and p/ns I will be needing to implement all this.

I know I am asking a lot, and I've done extensive searching, I'd like it all in one place if I can. The options I chose apear to be the best for their budget effective costs.

First up LSD:
I'm thinking of going the TRD LSD. The Intellexual faq suggests 2 part numbers.
41301-JA800 if I have the Getrag 6 speed (wish to God I did).
TRD# 41301-JS401 for the other car models
I have the stock 5 speed Automatic, so i'm a touch confused on what to get for this car model year.
Are there any additional parts I need in addition to the LSD?

If I could find a good Getrag v160 for the $2000 price range i'd go that route instead. I'll keep dreaming.

Suspension
Tein Comfort Sport with the ADFC to control the ride tension.
Do I need to take anything special into consideration or can i just order the kit and have it tossed on the car?
Tein upgraded the CS recently so it looks like it could give a sweet ride and provide a soft and gentle "girlfriend in car" mode as well as a nice stiff "Solo corner on a dime" ride.

Suspension part 2
The ADFC looks like it's 1 din. I'm considering chucking the stock radio and going with a 2 din in dash GPS system. This will make dash space a huge consideration with the inclusion of the ADFC.
I'm thinking If I remove the Ash tray, and relocate the cig lighter to one of the sides I could make it work. I dont smoke, and the ash tray is more as a toll money holder than it is anything else.
In relation to this Is there a smaller Climate control system I can use in place of the rather bulky one in the car now? I'd like this all to remain in the dash for a nice factory look.

Exhaust:
I'm going to go the 2.25" dual exhaust with Magnaflow.
Magnaflow TrueX pipe
Magnaflow mufflers, (which would be best fit?)
Magnaflow cats, (do I really need them?) Should I do 2.5" cats to open the flow through them more or stick with 2.25"?

Torque Converter
I'm going with the Dragon TC. Any thing I need to take into consideration in going this route? I' aware the stall speed is bumped 1k to 2800 so i'll rev more..
WIsh Yes, i'm pushing it, I wish I could procure the MVP v160 adapter and clutch kit for far less than asking price. It's too expensive, at $2k for the kit

Breaks
I'm thinking of going the Cryogenic treated sloted break rotors, and brembo pads.
I'll be doing the braided break lines offered from Carson.
Anything else to consider? These are stock rims so room is scarece for bigger rotors.

MISC
I'm hitting 90k miles soon, as well as winter. Some of the funds will need to be going to the Timing belt and snow tires.

plug: I'm also planning on doing racing with the car once it's optimized. sponsors welcomed.
Old 11-01-07, 10:49 AM
IS_Sunny
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like its gonna be a beast. I'll sponsor it if you wanna put a 10x10 picture of my face on the side ... i'll give you $200.
Im pretty handsome so I figure the picture will add around 45 Hp so its a good deal all around.

On a more serious note, check out this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=302943

Some issues with the new Tein CS you might wanna consider.

What is your total budget for upgrades to the SC?

Sorry I can't answer hardly any of your questions, I just saw you mentioned that suspension setup and recalled having just read that thread earlier today.

Hope it helps, good luck

Last edited by IS_Sunny; 11-01-07 at 10:57 AM.