Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-07, 05:18 PM
FiSta
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leak?

It sounds like i have an exhaust leak or something but i'm not quite sure. When I first noticed the odd rumbling, at first it sounded like it came from somewhere near the cat, but when i pop the hood it clearly was come from the intake side of the motor. don't know how to describe the sound but now my car sounds like it's running w/o a cat, loud and annoying. does anyone know what could it be? i have a gte and recently had to fix a boost leak if that matters

I would just go to my friends' shop but they're being gay and taking the day off because of halloween
Old 11-01-07, 11:36 AM
Y-SC
Driver School Candidate

My 92 SC4 has the same problem - rumbling like an American V8. The noise was there when I bought my car two and half years ago and has got only a little worse so I am living with it for now. I have done some research on this and it seems like a broken EGR tube at the back of the engine. Mine is really loud when the tach approaches 2k rpm. The relacement part is cheap but it's a PITA to change it.

Good luck and let us know if there is any progress.
Old 11-01-07, 01:24 PM
clean
Driver

ok i need to know this, when your driving do you still have your power when you accelerate, or does it feel like your going nowhere fast?
Old 11-02-07, 01:26 AM
FiSta
Lead Lap

hmm thanks Y-SC i'll look into that since the sound is exactly what you're describing

i still have power when i accelerate but I do notice the motor vibrates quite a bit...perhaps it was like that the whole time and i just notice it now...it's not knocking but it sounds like the idle is kinda off...anyways i'm gonna take it to the shop tomorrow and i'll keep you guys posted
Old 11-02-07, 11:27 AM
Y-SC
Driver School Candidate

My car is fine otherwise. Idles perfect, accelerates with no hesitation. Just the noise. It's not as bad on the highway as the tach passes 2200 but unfortunately most of my commute is 40-55 mph so the tach is right there around 2000, drives me nuts!

I do notice some slight vibration possibly due to motor/transmission mounts. Maybe that caused some parts movement and banging against each other? I don't know. But for now, it seems that the crux is the EGR tube.

Good luck, Fista.
Old 02-28-10, 05:09 PM
RmMarx
Pole Position

hey guys any update on this? i have the same issue, rumbles from the motor all the way to the exhaust. the sounds kinda like PUT PUT PUT... any advice or more ways to figure out what to do?
Old 02-28-10, 11:50 PM
FiSta
Lead Lap

I found what the problem was for me...broken exhaust gasket.

This problem actually happened a second time, and at the same place (right before the cat). Until I can find some 3" metal gaskets, I'm pretty sure it's going to happen again.

I hope your problem was as simple as mine RmMarx, good luck
Old 03-01-10, 08:05 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RmMarx
hey guys any update on this? i have the same issue, rumbles from the motor all the way to the exhaust. the sounds kinda like PUT PUT PUT... any advice or more ways to figure out what to do?
Couple of options... Get underneath the car and feel for exhaust leaks (you'll feel the warm air on your hand.) Another easy way to find out is to start the car on a cold morning and let it warm up - the vapor caused by the hot smoke escaping from the leaking area usually leaves a little puddle under the car....

Jonny
Old 03-01-10, 11:55 AM
RmMarx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dx3
Couple of options... Get underneath the car and feel for exhaust leaks (you'll feel the warm air on your hand.) Another easy way to find out is to start the car on a cold morning and let it warm up - the vapor caused by the hot smoke escaping from the leaking area usually leaves a little puddle under the car....

Jonny
hmm... i wonder lol sometimes there is a little water. im taking it back in on wednesday and gonna give my mechanic a hard time lol