Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Supercharger helpppp!!! plzzzzzz

Old 10-30-07, 05:30 PM
sc400 noob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Supercharger helpppp!!! plzzzzzz

hi, i am new to superchargers but want to get one for my 92 sc400.
i dont understand exactly which chargers will fit.. do i just need the right bracket to make one fit? or are there only certain ones that will work?? also what else should i upgrade to make it work better?

thanks alott
Old 10-30-07, 06:13 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

(1) Alot yourself $3-5k for the project if you are thrifty
(2) Decide whether you want the Roots or Centrifugal supercharger
(3) Research the limited custom parts available (Richwood for Roots and Lextreme for Centrifugal)
(4) Accumulate parts
(5) Install

The Richwood manifold for an M90 works pretty awesome, although there still is a small amount of custom fabrication necessary to make everything work. The M90 makes tons of low end grunt with big power available off idle. The top end from an M90 can be a bit uninspiring.

The Lextreme Centrifugal bracket works with a Vortech V2 supercharger, although a number of semi-custom jobs are requires to make it all work. The V2 makes gobs of top end pull but requires you to get deep into the rpm band to spool the compressor. The low end grunt of a centrifugal supercharger is no different than stock.

In either case, running 5-8psi is safe, quick, and easy. Going beyond that will require quite a bit in the way of fuel system and engine management upgrades. In addition, the transmission and the engine's internal integrity could be come compromised at 10+psi power levels. A simple 5-8psi set up should make 300-350whp safely and reliably.

I would suggest asking more specific questions and researching a lot more. Check out the Richwood and Lextreme sites. See what they have to offer. See if you can't make a decision on a centrifugal or a roots blower and then build your knowledge base around that platform.

The SC400 community wants nothing more than to see you supercharged. With the right amount of persistance, you can make your V8 a beast.
Old 10-31-07, 09:21 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

I am currently putting a root style supercharger on my LS400. There are pros and cons of both systems. You can do some searches on the net and read up about it. Either path will cost some money and time. Its all depends on your driving style. Richwood made a beautiful manifold for the 1989 to 1997 V8 engines and currently working on the VVTi too. The manifold quality next to none. Follow my M112 Supercharger dairy and it should give you little more insight about which system you want to go.

Root Vs. Centrifigual is an age old debate. As I am working on my M112 and my build motor. The biggest drawback with root supercharger would be intercooling. Its possible but very hard and expensive. Best of luck with your search. Here is an article of interest Root, Screw & Centrifugal

Last edited by Lextreme; 10-31-07 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-31-07, 08:22 PM
sc400 noob
Driver School Candidate

can someone give me a site to buy the richwood manifold? i think im going to go with a root charger and want to do more research.
btw thanks guys this is helping me alot and im learning 2.

Last edited by sc400 noob; 10-31-07 at 08:32 PM.