Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Port And Polished

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-07, 08:29 AM
fonzo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Port And Polished

What are the cons if any port and polishing a gte?
Old 10-26-07, 08:49 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's never a con to a port and polish job aside from the cost.
Old 10-28-07, 08:55 AM
fonzo
Pole Position

Thanks I found a shop that said they would port and polish the 1jz for $230.00 and clean the motor. they also would check all the seals,valves,heads,ect for any problems! I think thats a good deal! just wondering the cons of porting and polishing?
Old 10-28-07, 11:36 AM
USAF_RT
Driver

Originally Posted by fonzo
Thanks I found a shop that said they would port and polish the 1jz for $230.00 and clean the motor. they also would check all the seals,valves,heads,ect for any problems! I think thats a good deal! just wondering the cons of porting and polishing?
For $230 I would be skeptical about what they do. It's not a quick and easy job...thats actually cheap even for a simple valvejob, disassembly & reassembly... To put things in perspective...check out Titan's street setup:

http://www.titanmotorsports.com/tms2jtosumkm.html

$3500

Granted they upgrade the valvetrain...but even with that taken into account, calculate how much the P&P costs.

Just a thought, becareful you you bring your head to. The 1JZ head is awesome as-is...unless you are going for some crazy power levels, I wouldn't have a $230 P&P done...

Just my two cents though, if you know the guys at the shop or someone else can vouch for them...great
Old 10-28-07, 12:46 PM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fonzo
like mkorsu said, there are no cons and I totally agree with that. But $230 for all that seems a bit skeptical.

Last edited by greyBLITZ; 10-28-07 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-28-07, 04:12 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get a hack in there who does not know what they are doing they can kill the ports real fast and you will actually loose power. The head should be put on a flow bench and tested as well. For 230.00 I would run the other way. My best friend owns a porting business and I could net even get him to port a head for me that cheap. There is so much time involved That even 500.00 would be a killer deal. Also a turbo p&p job differs in many ways compared to a n/a p&p job.
Old 10-28-07, 11:02 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by xspsi6
...There is so much time involved That even 500.00 would be a killer deal. Also a turbo p&p job differs in many ways compared to a n/a p&p job.
The only difference between NA and turbo is sizing. The work is the same. Die grinder, burr bit, abrasives, and at least a 3 angle valve job.

$230 for 24 valves is about right for a simple valve job if you've completely disassembled the head before giving it to the shop. It's not enough to even do a very basic street port.

Contrary to popular opinion, a good street port job can be pretty inexpensive if you aren't concerned about a blingin' appearance. 80% of the results are just blending the seats into the ports (assuming no serious core shift when the head was cast - and I have seen this on a GTE head!?!?!) and rounding the turn on the port floor. That takes about 5 minutes per hole, or two hours. So a complete valve job at ~$9/valve with two hours of work for a street port should cost ~$430.

You won't impress your friends with pictures of the port work, but your engine will work better for sure. You'd be surprised how many heads just like this have won races...