Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Car dies randomly

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-07, 06:41 PM
Luke_in_SD
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car dies randomly

Today and yesterday my car just died randomly. It was when I was coming to stop, before that it used to die when I turned off the A/C and slowing at the same time, but in this case it didn't do that. I didn't have the A/C on

Anyways I searched and people on here said it might be a bad ground. I checked my battery and the terminals look clean.

How can I find a bad ground and fix it, or should I just buy or put together a grounding kit.

On a side note my Fm Transmitter for my mp3 player makes buzzing noises when the engine is idling and goes away after I accelerate. The Guy at the audio stop said that noise has to do with having a bad ground so there must be some sort of coincidence going on here

any help is appreciated
Old 10-13-07, 06:47 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dunno if the SC's have MAF sensors but that's what happened with my 2k maxima. The car would sometimes die out and eventually wouldn't even idle. It was due to a faulty MAF
Old 10-14-07, 06:16 PM
Luke_in_SD
Lead Lap

anybody else have this problem. Did it again today. Happened when in drive when the brake was applied.

The stereo when out, followed by the headlights and dash lights, and car shuts off
Old 10-14-07, 07:02 PM
BLovesc
Pole Position

Sucks too much of a load on something. findout all of the grounds and clean em up. Sometime sucky plug wires do that. mostly with the radio Interfearance and stuff
Old 10-14-07, 11:11 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea start with the grounds. There is one right by your battery and one going to the block that is pretty accessible. Just follow the negative battery cable and you should have no problem. You can also try getting a new negative battery cable if cleaning the grounds do not work. Does your battery light come on when it happens? Look into the alternator and if there are any fluids leaking onto it.
Old 10-15-07, 05:33 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Definitely sounds like a grounding issue. Check around your alternator. Not sure if you have a 300 or 400 but on the 400 there is a big ground by the oil filter.

A grounding kit will only work if you ground the area that the problem is coming from...

Jonny
Old 10-15-07, 09:23 AM
Luke_in_SD
Lead Lap

Do you think this issue would also have to do with a dirty MAF or Throttle body, or would I see other symptoms.

I have a 95 SC400, I'm sure if its an OBDII or not. But I would like to check see what the check engine code is, but I don't know how to check it.

It comes on after the car turns off but it goes away after I start it. Just like turning the key to clicks and not starting it
Old 10-15-07, 10:09 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke_in_SD
Do you think this issue would also have to do with a dirty MAF or Throttle body, or would I see other symptoms.

I have a 95 SC400, I'm sure if its an OBDII or not. But I would like to check see what the check engine code is, but I don't know how to check it.

It comes on after the car turns off but it goes away after I start it. Just like turning the key to clicks and not starting it
Well, disconnect your MAF and see how your car runs. But no, I don't think it is either of those.

A 95 is an OBDI. There is a diagnostic port under your hood (don't remember where it is on an SC400). It has a small black cover that says "Diagnostic" so you can't miss it. Grab a paperclip or else a low gauge wire that you have stripped so there is copper wire showing on each end. Put one side in the TE1 pin and the other in E1. Go turn your car on (don't start it) and count the number of flashes. It will be separated by a long pause which indicates the change between values of 10 and values of one.

For instance

Flash Flash pause flash would mean Code 21. (10+10 = 20 +1 = 21.)

Hope this helps,
Jonny
Old 10-16-07, 09:25 AM
Luke_in_SD
Lead Lap

I took the car to local shop yesterday. They can't do a check engine dianostic cause the light goes after start-up. Just like turning the key to the on position but not turning over.

Anyways they tested the battery and alternator. Battery is less than a year old and the alternator is putting out about 14.1 amps, which is really good. I'm gonna check where the ground cable from the negative battery goes today. i also bought 2 extra 4ga ground cables. One for the engine and one for the body.
Old 10-19-07, 08:50 PM
Luke_in_SD
Lead Lap

Ok so got 2 4ag wires, grounded on of them to the radiator support and the other to the block right where the oil dip stick support bolts to the motor. Since then (Tuesday oct 16th) the car hasen't died randomly anymore.

Hope this thread helps out anybody with similiar problems