Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What's the first thing for a SC400/93.........

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-07, 10:35 AM
hulio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the first thing for a SC400/93.........

..........Just got a nice 93 with 86k miles.
What is the best bang for buck mod to get a little more power?
Thanks,
Hulio.
Old 10-09-07, 10:41 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Well I would make sure the brakes and suspension and other maintainance are up to par first. On the SC4 I think headers and exhaust will help.
Old 10-09-07, 11:09 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After a full tune-up and making sure all standard systems are up to snuff, I would say a torque converter upgrade would be the most noticable mod you can make. The SC4's transmission is uninspiring and has the stall speed located too low in the power band. The result.........a dog off the line. Upgrading that will help much more than the couple HP you might get with some bolt-ons. And seriously, where do you want the power? Stoplight to stoplight.
Old 10-09-07, 02:55 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

BFI...it will allow you to start getting the SC400 fever.
Old 10-09-07, 03:06 PM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ Agreed, cheapest thing you can do for performance. I've done it myself and I'm quite impressed.
Old 10-09-07, 03:55 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

BFI = "Big Freaking Intake".

It involves $25 of hardware store materials, a few common work bench tools, and a little ingenuity.

The increase in throttle response, fuel economy, and engine bay growl is well worth the time and pennies invested.
Old 10-09-07, 04:18 PM
SCpwner
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blizzy
BFI = "Big Freaking Intake".

It involves $25 of hardware store materials, a few common work bench tools, and a little ingenuity.

The increase in throttle response, fuel economy, and engine bay growl is well worth the time and pennies invested.
Agreed 110%. This was the first thing i did and the probably one of the most significant power gains including my exhaust setup.
Old 10-10-07, 04:37 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

BFI... Good HP for $$$
Exhaust... OK for $$$
Headers... OK for $$$
SAFC2 + Tune... Good HP for $$$
Supercharger... Dont even know but its fun...
Old 10-10-07, 05:53 AM
hulio
Driver School Candidate

Ok guys ,tell me more about the intake and where I can get a torque convertor.
Thanks for the input.
Hulio.
Old 10-10-07, 07:48 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Here is some more info on the BFI: http://planetsoarer.com/BFIHardware/BFIHardware.html. It will flow CFM for CFM with any aftermarket option out there...with less money invested. Also check out the link in my previous post showing the job that Scott did with his: really top notch stuff.

Torque converters can be had from two places: Lextreme and Precision Industries. The Lextreme unit will run you ~$200 and the PI unit (aka. the Dragon) will run you ~$800.
- The PI Dragon is both lighter and smaller in diameter than the Lextreme unit, which will result in better throttle response throughout the entire power band in addition to the benefit of the jacked up stall which will get you into your peak power more quickly. In addition, the PI Dragon is more sturdy internally than the stock unit.
- The Lextreme unit is simply a rebuilt stock torque converter with a jacked up stall. It will offer no increase in throttle response or internal durability over the stock set-up, though it will increase the stall speed, which will ge you into your power band more quickly.

The Lextreme unit presents more value than the PI unit, but there is no doubt that the PI Dragon is a more optimal torque converter. The stock stall speed is 1900, so an upgrade to 2200, 2400, 2600, or even 2800 would make the car a whole lot more fun to drive. Although, with the jacked up stall speed comes more transmission friction, and -thus- more heat. A tranny cooler is pretty much required to ensure transmission longevity when working with an aftermarket stall converter.

I would also look into getting a piggyback computer and a dyno tune. The SC has a tendency to run rich...especially up top...robbing the car of power. An SAFC can be had for ~$200 on the classifieds, and at the proper shop, they should be able to wire you up and get you out the door freshly tuned for only a few hundred more. Aussies are known for using these units readily, and it is not uncommon to see a 10-15whp jump across the entire rpm band.

A full exhaust can get you upwards of 20-30wtq and 15-20whp. Scott (BFI thread author listed in the first paragraph) put down 230whp and 260wtq with a full header-to-muffler exhaust on mandrel bent piping. While you are looking at ~$1500 for a full exhaust once you factor in all the costs, the benefit is much greater than just power since the car will sound amazing as well.
Old 10-10-07, 08:07 AM
atekt
Lexus Test Driver

Nice job Blizzy, that is some awesome info!
Old 10-10-07, 12:10 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Agreed on the SAFC point. I have the SAFC and AEM wideband on my car and even with a few mods (intake, exhaust, pulleys, e-fan, modded intake manifold) my car was pegging the gauge full rich at WOT.

I'm still fine tuning it but I have between 14-20% fuel taken out through the powerband when I'm at 95%-100% throttle and now it's in the 12.0 AFR range. The car picked up so much just from that, I'm still grinning!

A friend with a different kind of car said he picked up half a second in the 1/4 mile just from taking the stupid rich stock fuel map down to a decent AFR.
Old 10-13-07, 05:02 PM
hulio
Driver School Candidate

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMM whats a SAFC???
Sorry new here.
Old 10-15-07, 01:29 PM
jmwenick
Driver

Super Air Flow Converter. It basically is a piggyback for the ECU. Tricks it into seeing less air, therfore it throws in less fuel, and you get a leaner fuel mixture. Gaining you some more HP.
Old 10-15-07, 09:19 PM
SC30096
Pole Position

is there a thread of some sort that can allow someone like myself to set SAFC to a relatively close setting to optimize output without having to dyno?

Quick Reply: What's the first thing for a SC400/93.........