Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Suggestions on buying catalytic convertors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-07, 12:30 PM
SCpwner
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Suggestions on buying catalytic convertors?

Hey guys my cats are almost toast and i need new ones... can anyone suggest brands and or part #'s. I understand i would need 2 cats but when i talked to the guy at the muffler shop he said that it would be 250 to get them welded on because they would have to weld up near the engine or something... basically they told me it was hard to get to. I would prefer the highest flowing cat for the least amount of money... Does anyone have any ideas? and is this guys telling me the truth about the cost for this installation?

Thanks
SCpwner
Old 09-20-07, 01:19 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pretty sure Magnaflow makes Hi-Flo cats for our cars...

Price - I know on the 400 the cats aren't hard to get to. Not sure on the 300...

Jonny
Old 09-20-07, 01:24 PM
SCpwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dx3
Pretty sure Magnaflow makes Hi-Flo cats for our cars...

Price - I know on the 400 the cats aren't hard to get to. Not sure on the 300...

Jonny

Hmmm.. i was looking at magnaflows earlier... seem pretty nice but is there that big of a difference from a high flow cat and just a regular cat? i have a 400 and the guy was trying to say that they are bolted on and to remove them would be hard because the nuts just break off or something... Have you actually had your s replaced Jonny?
Old 09-20-07, 01:33 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SCpwner
Hmmm.. i was looking at magnaflows earlier... seem pretty nice but is there that big of a difference from a high flow cat and just a regular cat? i have a 400 and the guy was trying to say that they are bolted on and to remove them would be hard because the nuts just break off or something... Have you actually had your s replaced Jonny?
Replaced - no. Deleted - maybe

Tell him just to cut them off and weld the new ones back on. Why bother trying to take off screws when you have welding capabilities

I will verify with pictures when I get home tonight on my home computer, but I don't recall them being difficult to get to.

And no, I don't think the Lexus cats are very restrictive at all. But that's my personal opinion.

Jonny
Old 09-20-07, 01:39 PM
SCpwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dx3
Replaced - no. Deleted - maybe

Tell him just to cut them off and weld the new ones back on. Why bother trying to take off screws when you have welding capabilities

I will verify with pictures when I get home tonight on my home computer, but I don't recall them being difficult to get to.

And no, I don't think the Lexus cats are very restrictive at all. But that's my personal opinion.

Jonny
hmmm... ok cuz this guy just told me that he HAD to do it that way. idk why but i will probably just tell him to delete them and weld the new ones on. So do you think the stock ones are less restrictive then aftermarket ones? especially if magnaflows?

Sorry just not quite clear on this concept yet.
Old 09-20-07, 01:41 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you positive that it's your cats that are the problem? You have seemingly low mileage for such an issue, unless you've driven to the stars since I last saw your odometer. Please do post a video and more description of your issue in the other thread you made, or here if you prefer. Also, you could probably have the flanges cut off your factory cats and have them welded to the replacement cats to make installation easier, and perhaps save money.

Edit: What shop is it?

Last edited by sonyman; 09-20-07 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-20-07, 01:48 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SCpwner
hmmm... ok cuz this guy just told me that he HAD to do it that way. idk why but i will probably just tell him to delete them and weld the new ones on. So do you think the stock ones are less restrictive then aftermarket ones? especially if magnaflows?

Sorry just not quite clear on this concept yet.
I don't think they are "less" restrictive, but I think the difference between the 2 is negligible. I don't know the price difference between hi flo and regular, but unless they are within $15 of each other I probably wouldn't waste my money with the hi flos.

Ask the guy why they need bolted and can't be welded?

Jonny
Old 09-20-07, 03:19 PM
Blk97SC300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who needs kittens?

If you really wana choke your car, you could find some cheap cats on EBAY. search for CARSOUND.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...e=search&fgtp=

There you go- $65 to $69 for a high flow cat
Old 09-20-07, 04:22 PM
SCpwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blk97SC300
who needs kittens?

If you really wana choke your car, you could find some cheap cats on EBAY. search for CARSOUND.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...e=search&fgtp=

There you go- $65 to $69 for a high flow cat
hmmm well i would prefer to pass inspection... so i think i will buy the cats... magnaflows are known for being pretty much hollow so that might be the route i go with and thanks for the link.

A video: Please watch just to CONFIRM this is the cats
Like i said the guy at the muffler shop got under the car and listened and said it was the cats but i want your opinions too.

Thanks
Old 09-20-07, 05:26 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds nice and throaty, but I do hear a slight rattling sound. Do you smell anything bad? Are your inspections coming up soon?
Old 09-20-07, 05:44 PM
SCpwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sc300max
Sounds nice and throaty, but I do hear a slight rattling sound. Do you smell anything bad? Are your inspections coming up soon?
Thanks... i don't really notice anything as far as smell... would i have to get down at my pipes and smell or would i be able to smell it from inside my car? Inspection wise... i have no clue i dont have a sticker that says when i need to go and get it inspected... i know i need to get an oil change in about 300 more miles. Where does it say the mileage or date for the inspection?
Old 09-20-07, 05:53 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you talking about the precats that are at the end of each exhaust manifold or the big center cat were the 2 pipes fist come together.
Old 09-20-07, 05:57 PM
SCpwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by over40driv
Are you talking about the precats that are at the end of each exhaust manifold or the big center cat were the 2 pipes fist come together.
the two cats closest to the engine... the third one is actually a resonator for me. or was a resonator
Old 09-20-07, 06:22 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2 precats are still stock but #3 cat is prob. the fact. restrictive cat.
Old 09-20-07, 06:32 PM
LSEGHATCH
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might be a heatsheild rattleing. You would smell the eggs just by standing behind your exhaust.

Quick Reply: Suggestions on buying catalytic convertors?