Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Weird SC probs...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-07, 04:21 PM
0ni
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird SC probs...

Weeeell, I just got my new 1992 SC400 and its great except for a few details. I seem to have that alternator problem that many have experienced. I searched the forum and found that its prolly the power steering leaking on it and shorting it or the alternator cable is shot. Or just the alternator. I have a new alternator on the way and I am gonna have the power steering looked at. Thanks all and yay search button. Also all the needles on my gauge cluster are dead. Again I searched and a new one is like what, $800 to $1000? No thank you! Im looking for a new one on ebay or salvage and if I dont find one, then I am going to rock an aftermarket tach, odometer, temp and fuel gauge that I will fab into the dash where the original gauges are. Maybe into a piece of fiberglass or plastic with some color and spray on texture. Also, the yellow check tranny? light comes on when I accelerate. I think its a faulty ground circuit but Im not sure. Now I know it seems I have answered all my own questions here but I am not confident I am looking in the right areas on these so if anyone has further experience with these issues or some advice, let 'er rip! Id appreciate any help. Also...the car seems to be getting water into it in the back seat. The back seat carpet seems to flood and it has been raining but the car and sunroof are in perfect shape, bodywise, no rust even. All weather stripping seems to be fine. And its just the back seat floor.. I was told something some drainage tube or whatnot built in the trim that might be clogged but never heard of that. I dunno, any suggestions? Thanks everyone, looking forward to getting to know you all. Ja!
Old 09-01-07, 05:19 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Welcome....Looks like you have a bunch of searching around to do on this site.
Old 09-08-07, 12:28 PM
0ni
Driver School Candidate

Anyone? Advice?
Old 09-08-07, 01:25 PM
Fireblaze
Lead Lap

Hmm, if it was an SC300, I would say change the distributor O-Ring because that drops oil on the Alternator. Not too familiar with the 400.

As for the needles, we have a member named O.L.T who can do any color combination to your dashes. Find his threads somewhere, and he also has a site where he does his business.

Since you just got your car, I would greatly advise you to start fresh. Do a full flush of all fluids. Oil, filter, radiator, sparkplugs (easy), ATF (maybe why your light is on) differential etc...
Old 09-10-07, 12:33 AM
0ni
Driver School Candidate

Ya that is a good idea. It has fresh everything, I just need to get the Tranny fluid done. And its the check engine light, not the tranny, my bad. It flickers as it idles and the higher it revs, the faster it flickers. Also when I first turn the car on, the RPMs rev to like 2k and then fall, rev and fall, then stabilizes. Weird...

Oh and got the alternator fixed, it was the unit itself. Got it changed and all is well. Thanks for any and all advice!