Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Stalling Problems for my Sc300

Old 08-31-07, 08:51 AM
SC3RN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling Problems for my Sc300

I recently bought a 92 SC300 and im having trouble with it, during starting, once i click on the ignition, the car starts and then suddenly dies down, il do this like 10 to 15 times or more until the car finally starts, once it starts i have no problem at all, i can drive it anywhere provided not to switch off the engine or else ill be in that "praying the car would start again trouble", 2 shops already turned down on me they say they cant find the problem, they're afraid to change the fuel pump because it might not be the problem, they run it on their computer diagnostics but can't find any, anybody encountered that same problem? one more thing, if the car was parked in direct sunlight it would be really hard to start, Thanks!
Old 08-31-07, 10:02 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

we have a forum for this. moved.
Old 08-31-07, 01:09 PM
SC3RN
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

Thanks OLT sorry about that, i posted on the wrong thread,
Old 08-31-07, 03:09 PM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

What is the mantenance history of your car? When was the last time the plugs, wires, dist & cap, O2 sensors were changed. Last time the fuel injectiors were cleaned? When you turn the key to the 2nd postion w/o starting the car, can you hear the fuel pump? Is there a strong smell of gas when you are trying to start the car multiple times? When the car is running, do you hear any sort of hissing sound if you have the hood open? Have you had the battery and alternator tested? How do the battery cables/posts look? Any corrosion on them? Is there any smoke coming out of the tail pipes?
Old 09-08-07, 12:39 AM
SC3RN
Driver School Candidate

the car works perfectly and runs smooth when i got it started, i don't notice a strong smell of gas when i start it, and one more thing the starting/stalling problems i encountered is less at night compare to the day, im thinking between the fuel pump or the fuel ECU, one of the mechanic said he is willing to change my fuel pump but he cannot guarantee the car would work, im getting frustrated already..and for the record the car passed the smog check, so i dont really know what's causing all this

Last edited by SC3RN; 09-08-07 at 12:45 AM.
Old 09-08-07, 08:31 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SC3RN
the car works perfectly and runs smooth when i got it started, i don't notice a strong smell of gas when i start it, and one more thing the starting/stalling problems i encountered is less at night compare to the day, im thinking between the fuel pump or the fuel ECU, one of the mechanic said he is willing to change my fuel pump but he cannot guarantee the car would work, im getting frustrated already..and for the record the car passed the smog check, so i dont really know what's causing all this
Do you hear the pump coming on before you start the car?

Jonny
Old 09-09-07, 09:11 AM
shlounek
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your prolly have a bad alternator, and due to that alternator your battery has been drained too many times. If its not an optima you need to get a new one.

change the battery and test the alternator you will be surprised how important a proper feed of good volatage is needed to run these cars properly.
Old 09-15-07, 08:43 PM
SC3RN
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys thanks for the replies, i just changed my fuel pump the other day and when i got it, it runs smooth and no hard start ups! after a day and parking it in direct sunlight, there she goes again! hard starting, i took it to the shop where they specialize in auto electricals, they said it might be the fuel ecu, in their words they are not really sure!, because they run the ecu, it works fine, im really lost and i have a lot of stuff planned on my SC, but i cant move on because of this problem
Old 09-15-07, 09:31 PM
Rexn30
Pole Position

How long does the car run when you try and start it? Does it run even for a second? If you give it gas what happens?
Old 09-15-07, 10:49 PM
SC3RN
Driver School Candidate

the car wont run, the engine would just die down quick a matter of 2-5seconds the most, even if i put it in drive or step on the gas, it will stall, and i have to restart again until such time i got the car running and idling fine, and i can drive it anywhere, i drive 30miles to work and the runs perfectly!, its just the starting part that sucks! and after a while the car is at rest in a shaded area, i will have no problem startng it, it feels like the car have a heat stroke or something, i have 196000 on it and replaced water pump, and engine doesnt leak oil, changed spark plugs and timing belts

Last edited by SC3RN; 09-16-07 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-13-07, 01:07 PM
SC3RN
Driver School Candidate

Default Finally!

They found out that the Fuel ECU is causing all this! i got it changed and it works good now! i got it at the salvage parts, cost me $150, thanks guys for the infos!

SC3RN

New fuel pump, New fuel filter and Fuel ECU! my SC is in great condition again!
Old 07-01-09, 09:55 PM
vicpham
Driver School Candidate

Hmm...my car is having this same problem. Only difference is I have the 1JZ-GTE in my Soarer. Hopefully the Fuel ECU will do the trick for me.