Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How bad of an idea is this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-07, 03:50 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How bad of an idea is this?

I'm sure I'm going to be told not to do this, but it's worth a shot right?

I have an AEM UEGO wideband that's I've had for a little while now. I've got a turbo kit that I'm still a few parts short on and among it is a downpipe with an extra bung for a wideband, but I'm probably a ways off from getting that kit on (I've started putting money into cleaning the car up a bit inside and out rather than just all performance and looking broken down).

Our stock manifolds have one o2 sensor in each bank of 3 cylinders. I know that when you go to a header or a downpipe with just one, that you can splice them together so they both read the same (if you can see where I'm headed here).

How bad of an idea is it to splice them into each other and use the other port for my wideband for now? It's decently modded for an NA car and I'd like to see how things are as far as AF goes. If the car would run funky with both reading off of one set, or if the stock bung is too close to the head, I'd understand. When I had my exhaust done I asked the guy if he would weld a bung in (I have a FlowTech o2 sensor bung) but he was a bit nervous about doing it on that car (as far as being able to get to the header) and I said I'd figure something out later.

So, SC300 modders, school me on putting my wideband in!
Old 08-15-07, 07:19 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i replaced one of my 02 sensors with the innovate wideband standalone kit. i'm not sure about the uego, but the innovate had extra wires that got routed to the ecu, so it acted as a narrowband to the ecu and a wideband to the connected gauge. i guess if the uego could act as a narrowband, then you can go that route, otherwise my guess would be to split it so that the ecu reads that one sensor as two.
Old 08-16-07, 05:32 AM
WICKED 1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i believe there is a way to use that sensor as the one for youre car ecu and as a wide band . AEM has a tech artichle download section onthere website. you should try there
Old 08-16-07, 09:09 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by WICKED 1
i believe there is a way to use that sensor as the one for youre car ecu and as a wide band . AEM has a tech artichle download section onthere website. you should try there
Originally Posted by LexAnt
i replaced one of my 02 sensors with the innovate wideband standalone kit. i'm not sure about the uego, but the innovate had extra wires that got routed to the ecu, so it acted as a narrowband to the ecu and a wideband to the connected gauge. i guess if the uego could act as a narrowband, then you can go that route, otherwise my guess would be to split it so that the ecu reads that one sensor as two.
Thanks guys! I'll try to find that, that'd make things a lot easier!
Old 08-16-07, 09:37 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AEM
Q: I have an aftermarket fuel injection computer. Can I use the AEM UEGO Controller Module or Gauge-Type UEGO Controller with it?
A: Yes. It has a 0-5v output so you can simply hook up the UEGO module to the O2 sensor input wire of your fuel injection computer.
I'm going to guess this is it.

I know AEM recommends having the sensor a decent distance back from a turbocharger, but if it's just going to be on an NA car for now did you guys have any issues having it up that far in the header? The downpipe I have for my NA-T kit has an extra wideband bung that's moved back a way so that won't be an issue down the road.