Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Toulene Octane Booster?

Old 08-13-07, 04:11 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Toulene Octane Booster?

Has anyone had any success mixing toulene with 93 octane pump gas to raise overall fuel octane level to about 105 octane? Also, is any mixing of lubricant required with the toulene and pump-gas mix?
Old 08-13-07, 05:29 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hell I'd be happy if we had 93 octane pump gas here. There's a VP pump with 100 like 2 blocks from my house but other than that, best we get is 92.

Sorry, I know that's not helpful at all Jacky.
Old 08-13-07, 06:30 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dejacky
Has anyone had any success mixing toulene with 93 octane pump gas to raise overall fuel octane level to about 105 octane? Also, is any mixing of lubricant required with the toulene and pump-gas mix?
my friend with a 1.8t used a mix of tolulene and premium, he said the car felt like it had alot more power. mostlikely because less det. allowed the engine to advance timing.
Old 08-13-07, 07:07 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend of mine suggested I use some a couple of years ago to clean my injectors on a Grand National, didnt really work so I pulled them out, had them cleaned and flowed, and it helped a lot.
Old 08-13-07, 08:00 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Question

If I remember correctly, my fuel tank capacity is 16 gallons. So, I'm thinking 6.4 gallons of toulene with 22.4oz of ATF (to add lubrication to toulene) all being mixed with 9.6 gallons of 93 octane Chevron gas. I'm hoping this will allow me to run at least 21psi with my small to4e hybrid turbo (aka TE-44 buick grand national turbo). What do you all think?
Old 08-13-07, 08:07 PM
sc300gte
Lead Lap

http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene.html check that link out...might help
Old 08-13-07, 08:36 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dejacky
If I remember correctly, my fuel tank capacity is 16 gallons. So, I'm thinking 6.4 gallons of toulene with 22.4oz of ATF (to add lubrication to toulene) all being mixed with 9.6 gallons of 93 octane Chevron gas. I'm hoping this will allow me to run at least 21psi with my small to4e hybrid turbo (aka TE-44 buick grand national turbo). What do you all think?
Are you running a fuel cell?...your stock fuel tank capacity s 20.5 gallons.

gadgetSC
Old 08-13-07, 10:12 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gadgetSC
Are you running a fuel cell?...your stock fuel tank capacity s 20.5 gallons.

gadgetSC
No, I was not remembering the exact size of the sc300 fuel tank. So it's a 20.5 gallon tank then eh? If that's the case, I'll need more of each since my original intention was to run 40% toulene. I just need some confirmation that the resulting octane numbers are accurate. Bean and I remember a thread on Supraforums that proved the octane boost from toulene and pump gas mix was marginal at best, so now I'm hesitant and leaning more towards the methanol injection.
Old 08-13-07, 10:29 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Default fuel mix

Dejacky,

I read a long article a while ago on adding "ACETONE" to your gas to slightly improve octane and efficiency. That art. said somthing like a couple of tablespoons full for 5 gallons. It wasn't much. I think it aided the atomization of the fuel and, hence, a better burn. Worked for diesels as well.

I have put a quart of acetone in a half tank on a trip and burned it out quickly. It did clean the injectors and my idle smoothed. I think acetone and toulene will disolve plastics and we have some plastic in our fuel system. "Fuel proof" only means it will stand up to ethanol is my understanding.

There ain't no free lunch.....octane isn't alterable with an additive except aviation gas. Still would like to hear what you find out.
Old 08-14-07, 12:18 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Nice to hear from you John and I appreciate your insight. Here is a popular reading on home-brew octane boosters:

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/octanebooster.html

http://www.elektro.com/~audi/toluene/tol2.html

I'm still trying to locate that supraforums thread that actually tested the toulene mixes and resulting octane numbers before trying 21-25psi on a 40% toulene / pump gas mix.
Old 08-15-07, 11:29 AM
Durrr
Lead Lap

they can test gas for that here in GA, so dont get caught w/ it since it IS illegal
Old 08-15-07, 09:34 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Default smarter now

Dejacky,

Thanks for not calling me ignorent. Your references are really well done and I appreciate the info.

I would never have put toulene in my tank for fear that it would have disolved my fuel pump. Curiously, I would not have hesitated to use meth and they said that that would do damage. So much for my info.

Where can I buy toulenol for 2.50 a gallon? Need that data!

Thanks,

John
Old 08-15-07, 10:50 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

one thing about toluene is that it is a product used in the production of methamphetamine, my dad use to own a paint store and the cops would always ask him if suspicious people were buying this stuff in bulk, so just be cautious.
Old 08-16-07, 09:39 AM
NeSSuS-GTE
Driver School Candidate

The biggest reason law enforcement has a concern about Toluene is due to this wonderful chemical we call TNT with is short for Trinitrotoluene.

I ran a 30/70 mix of Toluene in my MKIII Supra (mixed with 94 pump). When I attempted to purchase a 50gal barrel, the shop required that I register with the ATF.

I declined, and instead bought it for $8.99/gal at Menards hardware store. Which was a great price versus the typical $12.99.

Here's my SupraForums thread on it, some good info! http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=210995

Here's a pic of the stuff I used to buy.
Attached Thumbnails Toulene Octane Booster?-toluene.jpg  

Last edited by NeSSuS-GTE; 08-16-07 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-16-07, 04:20 PM
Blk97SC300
Lead Lap

Why not just buy racing fuel? 100 octane? C16 (117 octane)? I did mix a bit of Toulene and Xylene in my 3000GT VR4 twin turbo a few times.. but it supposedly dries up components in your fuel system.. 100 octane or C16 is already pre-lubricated so it won't damage your car.

Also, you could use Marvel Mystery Oil as a lubricant to toulene and xylene.

Allen

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Toulene Octane Booster?