Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Planning some mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-07, 09:09 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Planning some mods

Hey all,

Soon, hopefully within the next few months, I'm planning on a few things and would like to share. Please add input if you have any!

Stage 1 Maintenence (done)

T-belt, full tune, changed or flushed all fluids, tires, alignment, and too much other stuff to list. Have spent over $2000 on parts since I bought my SC400, I'm my own mechanic.

Stage 2 BFI + center cat delete (done)

Did a cold air BFI, a little differently than I've seen anyone else do, ask if interested. Cat cut out, dual 2.25 pipes going back to two small resonators, more 2.25 piping going to dynomax super turbo's. Balance pipe between the two pipes about where the cat was.

Stage 3 Headers/Torque converter (can't wait!!)

I'm planning on installing EKtunig headers. Go here:

http://www.ektuning.com/cgi-bin/cp-a...xussc400header

or here

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8284

for more info on these.

Also, I plan on doing a torque converter at the same time. I think with the trans removed, the headers will be gravy to remove/install. Haven't decided on Lextreme or Dragon yet. Any comments welcomed.

While I'm at it stuff.. replace rear main seal, trans front pump seal, motor mounts, trans mount, and EGR pipe....

Stage 4 TBD (who knows!)

Supercharge - considering Lextreme's "the fish".

Piggy Back - don't know which yet.

And - who knows what else (cough, money pit, cough)

Thanks for reading! Comments very welcomed!

KC
Old 07-17-07, 10:21 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn dude. that will be awesome once it is all up and running.

regarding the torque converter, consider weight and diameter in addition to just stall speed:
While both Lextreme and PI can make you torque converters with 3k stall speeds, Lextreme uses the stock torque converter which give you no advantage in rotational inertia. The PI Dragon is not only lighter but also smaller in diameter than the stock/Lextreme unit. This means not only higher stall speed but also better throttle response meaning a lighter feel to the car.

Rotational Inertia = (mass) * (Radius)^2

This essentially means that moving the center of rotational mass inward has an exponentially positive effect on drivetrain lag. The PI Dragon being smaller, exploits this. The weight savings has a linearly positive effect both on rotational mass and curb weight: a win-win.

I think the Dragon is worth the extra dough.

Also, don't forget a tranny cooler else you will be frying your tranny like whoa. stall speed is for launching, and lauching generates massive amounts of heat in the tranny.

Finally, that jacked up stall on 225mm of rubber with no LSD is going to make your throttle very touchy off the line if you want to have traction. Even upgrading to 245/50 on your stock wheels will help. Getting an LSD will really help. There is a 4.27 LSD on Supraforums for $500 (contact email Bradleyjpyle@yahoo.com). That is a great price for gears and an LSD ready to bolt up.
Old 07-18-07, 08:29 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Yo,

Yes trans cooler needed, forgot to put that on the list. I'm not 100% convinced it’s needed (there is a factory cooler in the radiator), but I’ll put it on anyway.

The only pros / cons I’ve come up with for the TQ’s is cost versus weight. The weight is a very good argument for the extra cost. I’ll most likely go with the dragon just because I’ll always wonder “what if” with the Lextreme TQ installed.

I’m not at all convinced on needing an LSD. Not saying I wouldn’t like one, but for now, it’s not in the budget. It’s not like I’ll be drag racing or doing full throttle starts all the time. Besides, that’s what traction control is for. The 4.27 is tempting though, gotta say.

BTW, once I have all parts gathered, this will be a one day project. Day and a half at most. Laugh all you want, but I have all the tools, knowledge, and most importantly, a lift at work. HEHE.

KC
Old 07-28-07, 08:19 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Update,

Like to update my progress, or lack there of.

Ordered Dragon TC from L-tuned on monday 7-23.

Ordered EK headers a couple of days ago. Getting them for $858 shipped. I think it will be a bit of a wait on these before they arrive.

Went to Lexus yesterday and got my trans mount, rear main seal, trans front pump seal, header to head gaskets, and EGR pipe gaskets. Ordered the motor mounts and the EGR pipe.

Got a trans cooler from PepBoys today.

That's about it for now. Comments welcome.

Thanks for reading,

KC
Old 07-28-07, 08:28 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$858 for headers? Id have spent a few hundred more, and pieced together a used turbo kit.
Old 07-28-07, 09:14 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by na4now
$858 for headers? Id have spent a few hundred more, and pieced together a used turbo kit.
For the 400?

Not interested in turbo anyway. May supercharge down the road....

Thanks for the reply,

KC
Old 07-28-07, 09:38 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

nice shopping list man. will you be doing the install all yourself?
Old 07-28-07, 10:46 PM
818sc400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey i been wondering about those ek tuning headers. i think ur the first to actually get them. lemme know how they perform. i dont really wanna get ss headers and have to fab it.
Old 07-29-07, 09:09 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Blizzy
nice shopping list man. will you be doing the install all yourself?
Yes, I work as a technician at a Toyota dealership in Concord, NC. I don't even want to know how much I've saved myself in labor charges at $60 to $90 per hour.

BTW, how's your project going? I'm subscribed to your thread and have gotten no e-mails from it.

KC
Old 07-29-07, 09:14 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 818sc400
hey i been wondering about those ek tuning headers. i think ur the first to actually get them. lemme know how they perform. i dont really wanna get ss headers and have to fab it.
Yes, I'll post plenty of pictures of the headers + the install. It will be hard to determine how well the headers themselves perform though, since I'll be doing a torque converter at the same time. I'm confident that there worth it though.

KC
Old 07-29-07, 10:52 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KC95SC400
Yes, I work as a technician at a Toyota dealership in Concord, NC. I don't even want to know how much I've saved myself in labor charges at $60 to $90 per hour.

BTW, how's your project going? I'm subscribed to your thread and have gotten no e-mails from it.

KC
I have the 4.27 donor diff arriving this week along with some Supra TT rear brakes. When they arrive, I will snap pictures of them along with a few shots of the diff when I am inside doing the LSD swap.

Once that is done, I can begin planning the battery relocation to more seriously debate which to do first: supercharge or go manual. I think I have stumbled across a JZX90 transmission. I have ran into about five duds trying to source one, so it is impossible to say until I get pictures.

I am interested in the header swapping. You may start a windfall of purchases for EK Tuning once people hear that the headers require no exhaust fabrication for fitment. Good Luck.
Old 08-08-07, 01:41 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Update.

Got all my parts gathered except the headers......

Missing one motor mount and the transmission front pump seal in the picture, due to a mis-communication at my local Lexus dealer, but do have them now.

I'll update with pics once I get the headers.

Thanks.

Blizzy, if you read this, updates please.... I dying to see that S/C bolted up. I hope to do a similar setup.
Attached Thumbnails Planning some mods-dscf4231.jpg  
Old 08-08-07, 01:43 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Pic of the trans cooler.

Small, but I'm sure it will be effective.

Where are all you guys with the TQ's mounting your coolers?

Thanks,

KC
Attached Thumbnails Planning some mods-dscf4235.jpg  
Old 08-08-07, 03:22 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

how much did the trans. mount cost you?
Old 08-08-07, 07:50 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Luxor
how much did the trans. mount cost you?
I can't find the receipt but I think it was like $40 dollars from Lexus.

Luckily for me, both the Toyota dealership I work for and my local Lexus dealer are Hendrick dealerships, so I get an awesome discount on parts.

Here is a site I use to get a reference on how much parts will cost me. I’ve never ordered anything from them but it’s a useful site. Unfortunately they don’t list part numbers though.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...08&catalogid=0

KC

Quick Reply: Planning some mods