Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Searching for a 1jzgte.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-07, 02:57 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Searching for a 1jzgte.

Ive decided to go ahead and start collecting everything to do a swap. My car is a factory 5-speed. Im going to do a 1jz w/ a r154.

Ive been doing alot of reading, and several people recommend jarco, or jhot. I called jarco and asked them about a Soarer manual tranny, motor set. He said they exist, but he's never seen one!

So, I asked him how much for a auto motor set, he said $2000 + shipping! Then I would have to source a r154 from a mk3 supra, change the bell housing, and modify the tail end shift linkage. That sounds difficult and expensive.

Would this be my most practcal option? And, $2000 sounds expensive for an auto swap. Osakajdmmotors have them for $800, but they dont know the milage. Ive used them before with good luck. Jarco drives the cars before they pull the engines, supposivly, so they know the condition and milage.

What to do?
Old 07-10-07, 04:27 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Soarer 1j's seem to be rare now. I may be selling my setup and going 2j but not sure what mine is worth it's already single.
Old 07-20-07, 11:13 AM
raceonusa
Former Vendor

Did you ever finish the 1JZ swap? Where did you get your motor?
Old 07-20-07, 11:47 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you have a factory five speed, you can handle 400whp from a 1JZ reliably with your stock tranny. While the R154 would allow you to throw anything at the 1JZ, the W58 in your car should be utilized during the initial portions of the build if value is on your mind. This will make everything simple.

Using your factory W58 with an upgraded clutch now allows you to just look for a motor. If you prefer a front clip, you will ensure that you have every part required and then some (which can offset the cost of the front clip when you sell the extra parts on the classifieds).

If I were you, I would find a 1JZ auto front cut from Jarco, GSpeed, JHot, etc. I would then perform the swap, knowing I have everything necessary, and sell the extra parts from your car and the donor to offset the costs. Then, as you upgrade the 1JZ and approach 400whp, you can then make the decision to search down an R154 tranny from a Soarer.
Old 07-20-07, 11:56 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Blizzy
if you have a factory five speed, you can handle 400whp from a 1JZ reliably with your stock tranny. While the R154 would allow you to throw anything at the 1JZ, the W58 in your car should be utilized during the initial portions of the build if value is on your mind. This will make everything simple.

Using your factory W58 with an upgraded clutch now allows you to just look for a motor. If you prefer a front clip, you will ensure that you have every part required and then some (which can offset the cost of the front clip when you sell the extra parts on the classifieds).

If I were you, I would find a 1JZ auto front cut from Jarco, GSpeed, JHot, etc. I would then perform the swap, knowing I have everything necessary, and sell the extra parts from your car and the donor to offset the costs. Then, as you upgrade the 1JZ and approach 400whp, you can then make the decision to search down an R154 tranny from a Soarer.

That's what I did well that was my game plan . I was like I'm good for 400rwhp because of the W58. I wasn't really looking for a R154 but I was joking around with some guy on SF about selling me his...many PM's phone calls and 2 months later I got it lol. Now that I've got it the lust for more power has increased and I've got my eye on a 2jz now
Old 07-20-07, 02:52 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cherplex
That's what I did well that was my game plan . I was like I'm good for 400rwhp because of the W58. I wasn't really looking for a R154 but I was joking around with some guy on SF about selling me his...many PM's phone calls and 2 months later I got it lol. Now that I've got it the lust for more power has increased and I've got my eye on a 2jz now
this kinda sums it up:
- the W58 has shown reliability at ~400whp
- the 1JZ can get to 400whp easily with a nice power band
- the R154 can hold ~750whp
- justifying an R154 really requires a 2JZ to attain that kind of power

In a nut shell, if you are a factory five speed, use that to your advantage. Upgrade the clutch and get a 1JZ. Then, get some 440cc's and a 60-61mm turbo with a ~0.6 a/r to keep the power band fat and the peak torque within the capacities of the W58. Attaining nice power gets no more cost effective than this.
Old 07-20-07, 05:49 PM
cruzinbill
Rookie

ok not tryn to threadjack here, but i too am looking for a 1j and cant find the answer to one question. what is the differance of the supra and soarer 1j... is it just the harness and ecu or what?
Old 11-26-07, 01:54 PM
2juan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cruzinbill
ok not tryn to threadjack here, but i too am looking for a 1j and cant find the answer to one question. what is the differance of the supra and soarer 1j... is it just the harness and ecu or what?
I have this same question. can some one help us?
Old 11-26-07, 03:47 PM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

the differences lie in the water pump, ecu, harness, and transmission. I personally found a 1j 5speed soarer swap, but I spent a couple months searching the autos are easier to find. If you want easy just get the auto clip from a soarer and r154 from a mk3 or chaser or soarer if your lucky enough. mod your transmission to work for you and just keep it simple. there are plenty of threads here that have that info that you will need.

good luck
Old 11-26-07, 08:49 PM
Rexn30
Pole Position

If you got the supra 1jz you would have to change out the oil pan and oil pickup. I don't know what else but im positive you have to change those
Old 11-27-07, 09:09 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i got my engine from the j hot and was a great experiance. i got it for 1260 shipped with insurance and everything was there. this was a auto engine tho. jarco has very good and quality engines and they know it because they charge for it. the differences in the supra to the soarer are the supra is a front sump and the soarer is a rear/mid sump. also the ECU, wiring harness is different from supra to soarer. it is easyer to find a auto soarer engine set and just add on your stock 5-speed(w58) with new performance clutch. my plans are to keep the w58 for now and once i go to a single turbo i will be going to a soarer r154
Old 11-27-07, 07:17 PM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexn30
If you got the supra 1jz you would have to change out the oil pan and oil pickup. I don't know what else but im positive you have to change those
supra, and soarer 1j's both are rear sump oil pan and oil pick up.
Old 04-28-08, 02:00 AM
Djsenyi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shonuff53
supra, and soarer 1j's both are rear sump oil pan and oil pick up.
So can someone clarify this. I've been searching and there is conflicting reports on the supra 1jz. Does it have rear sump oil pan like the soarer? I'm assuming even if it does, the wiring harness would be different than the soarers and thus be more work to make it fit in an SC.
Old 04-28-08, 07:52 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

The oil pan on the supra is the same as the soarer.

Supra - mid/rear sump
Soarer - mid/rear sump
Chaser - front sump

You can use the supra ecu, but you will have to re-wire the body plugs.
Old 04-28-08, 05:01 PM
One_jZ_SC3
Lexus Champion

just to clear it up, supras also have rear sump oil pan..my friend has one in his supra