Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

W58; can hear the synchros, huh?

Old 12-15-13, 03:38 PM
Matt300ZXT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default W58; can hear the synchros, huh?

I have my 92 300ZXTT up for trade for an SC300/400 so I can daily it until it's warmer outside so that I can drop a 1jz or 2jz turbo motor in it and I had an offer today. It's a 95, Supra chrome 17s, new shocks, good maintenance records and look clean. He says you can hear the synchros while driving when the windows are up.

Do you guys have any clue what that might mean? I haven't owned a 5sp SC before so I'm not familiar with that trans and any inherent flaws in it's design or whatever, but with only 123k on the car I'd figure the Toyo box would go a lot longer than that before developing problems.
Old 12-15-13, 04:00 PM
Slid3ways
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Matt300ZXT
I have my 92 300ZXTT up for trade for an SC300/400 so I can daily it until it's warmer outside so that I can drop a 1jz or 2jz turbo motor in it and I had an offer today. It's a 95, Supra chrome 17s, new shocks, good maintenance records and look clean. He says you can hear the synchros while driving when the windows are up.

Do you guys have any clue what that might mean? I haven't owned a 5sp SC before so I'm not familiar with that trans and any inherent flaws in it's design or whatever, but with only 123k on the car I'd figure the Toyo box would go a lot longer than that before developing problems.

That sounds like something made up. W58s are weak but on stock motor should be fine unless hes hammered it in 5th (the w58s 5th gear is an od gear pretty much). I say go drive it and explain what it sounds like.
Old 12-15-13, 04:07 PM
Matt300ZXT
Pole Position

Well yeah, had intentions of going to look at it, but I'd never heard of being able to hear the synchros in the tranny while driving, except maybe if trying to jam it into a gear at too high an RPM or something like that. However, if it was something that someone had heard of, wouldn't wanna drive nearly 2 hours round trip to look at it if it's bad, ya know?
Old 12-15-13, 05:07 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

I used to hear the synchros a bit on my original W58. It only ever saw the stock engine so it definitely wasn't because of too much power. The W58 is just a bit noisy but I never found it to be a bad thing. I believe the original C&D article on the SC300 5-speed actually mentioned some minor transmission noise as well. We're not talking loud noise but yeah, you can hear the gears a bit as you climb in rpms and you can definitely hear the synchros themselves when attempting to shift into 2nd from 3rd under some circumstances.

I'd say a little noise is fairly normal because both the W58 and R154 are older performance transmission designs from the 1980's that saw updates over the years.

If the transmission just whines loudly and is difficult to get into some gears... then that would be another story pointing to something being very worn internally.

But just some mild noise? I wouldn't be concerned. Evaluate first based on how the transmission feels as you operate it.
Old 12-15-13, 05:19 PM
Matt300ZXT
Pole Position

Oh ok, it's just a somewhat noisy tranny to begin with? I know exactly what you're talking about. We'll see what he does about getting back to me with a full description and all that. Thanks for the help.