Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

tuning safc2/vpc ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-07, 01:48 PM
blknfury
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuning safc2/vpc ?

okay i got my car started and running with a T-61 runnning 10.5 psi.
my car starts and idles good. my afr is around 12.9 at idle. but when i want to floor it the car feels like its doing 6000 rpm when its only at 2500. at around 2500 to 4000 my afr stays around 10.9-11.7. can someone help me tune my safc2?
Old 06-11-07, 02:14 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Not sure what you mean by it feels like it is at 6k rpm. First off at idle you should be around 14.7 to 15.

What are your throttle points set at? Are you adding fuel or pulling fuel? I alwasy start with the low throttle settings first.

Give me some moer informeation and I will help u out.
Old 06-11-07, 04:18 PM
blknfury
Driver

well it feels like something holding it back when i try to accelerate.
my low throttle is 29% and my high throttle is 56%. my low and high throttle are set in 800 rpm increment points. what is the ne air something setting?
what are things i need to keep my eye on?
thanks
Old 06-11-07, 05:18 PM
sliva001
Lead Lap

you're feeling a "bog down" due to overly rich afr
Old 06-11-07, 06:45 PM
VGnomore
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to set your throttle points closer together because inbetween those throttle points your ecu is trying to do corrections.I had the same issue and I read up on it on the supra forums.Good luck sir
Old 06-11-07, 06:51 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Those throttle points are okay, I use 20 or 25 on the low side and 60 on the high.

Sliva is right it sounds like you are rich.

Tune the low throttle first, find a long strecth of road or even the highway. Watch the AFR as you accelerate as you increase rpms add or subtract fuel at the same increments on the AFC. Be sure you are accelerating and not coasting or going down hill. Do not push the throttle pedal past the low throttle set point for this phase. Lets assume you have it set at 25% throttle, you will want to steadily accelerate whithout pushing the pedal past the 25% point.

ONce you get the low throttle tuned in then you do the high throttle the same way but this time you keep the pedal past the high throttle set point, lets say 60%. I tend to like full throttle acceleration from a standstill while setting from 1000rpm to lets say 3400rpm. At higher rpm settings you can do on the highway by simply accelerating at full throttle repeatedly untill you get it dialed in.

A great feature is that while you have the safc in monitor mode, if you push the stick to the right it will freeze the display. What I do is accelerate while watching AFR once it goes too rich or too lean I freeze the display and see where I am in terms of fuel correction and rpm. I can then go into the setting mode and add or subtract fuel
Old 06-11-07, 06:52 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

PS. in between the set points the afc blends the settings of the upper and lower range
Old 06-11-07, 06:54 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

I set the low throttel point by determing by my driving style what throttle position am I at before I get into boost.

For example most of the time the way I drive, I dont nromalluy see boost unless I am at 25% or more throttle, so I set my low side at 25%
Old 06-12-07, 05:36 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

And I should mention target AF numbers are as follows.

No boost about 14.7 under boost 12.2

As you transition from no boost to boost the numbers should be dropping from the 14.7 to the 12.2
Old 06-12-07, 05:50 AM
blknfury
Driver

thanks morris,
but how do i tune the low throttle setting at the 3000 and 4000 and up rpm points if it is set at 25 percent. by the time iam at 25% percent throttle iam at about 2500. also what shoud i do with the vpc. i played with it so i can get the car to idle maybe just set it at zero
Old 06-12-07, 06:48 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

You set the throttle point at 25%. Not the actual fuel correction at the diferent rpms.

It is on a different menu, I think it says th pt set or something like that. If you cant find it I can go out to the car to lead you directly to the setting.

The VPC adjusts the same thing as the safc, so decide which one you want to use and remove the other or set it at zero.
Old 06-12-07, 07:32 AM
blknfury
Driver

Originally Posted by morris
You set the throttle point at 25%. Not the actual fuel correction at the diferent rpms.

It is on a different menu, I think it says th pt set or something like that. If you cant find it I can go out to the car to lead you directly to the setting.

The VPC adjusts the same thing as the safc, so decide which one you want to use and remove the other or set it at zero.
i understand about setting it at 25%, so i tune it from the throttle point and not the actual fuel correction at the diferent rpms? right? cause i thought after i set the throttle point you drive and adujst the fuel correction at the diff rpms.
Old 06-12-07, 07:43 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

you set the throttle point one time and leave it.

Then you go to the correction area and adjust fuel up or down at each rpm.
First you do it on the low correction area
then you do it on the high throttle correction area.

THis is correct but you have to do it for the low setting and then the high setting.
after i set the throttle point you drive and adujst the fuel correction at the diff rpms
Old 06-12-07, 08:10 AM
blknfury
Driver

i understand but if i set the low throttle point at about 25% i cant tune the fuel at the rpms of about 3000 or up cause my throttle will be above 25% so do i go tune the high throttle fuel points? also what is dec air setting its under settings? and it has-
thr*****%
ne1 0.0%
ne2 0.0%
Old 06-25-07, 10:47 PM
blknfury
Driver

i think i shouldnt tune the low throttle setting just the high throttle cause the ecu will try to adjust any changes in closed loop???
what should i set my correction % under setting???

Quick Reply: tuning safc2/vpc ?