Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

anyone else have this isssue???(water in engine!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-07, 07:42 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Thumbs down anyone else have this isssue???(water in engine!!!)

ok, so whenever i get water in my engine compartment the engine starts bogging down and feels like it has 5hp and its about to stall and the whole engine shakes which in turn shakes the car. i was wondering if any of you have this problem? it wont go away, i have to take out all the spark plugs and stick an air compressor thing in there to blow air in and dry it out and then it gets better. this has happened twice before when my mechanic was rinsing off chemicals on my engine but he fixed it both times by taking out the spark plugs and stuff, im just kindof annoyed by this but its whatever...i just have to remember from now on that i cant get my motor wet
Old 06-04-07, 07:50 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive had it happen to me before. It makes my car sound like an STI. I think it might have been because the little rubber boots around the spark plug wires are not as good as they used to. I just try to run the motor at higher RPMs to create more heat. Then I park it for a long time so all that water can evaporate.
Old 06-04-07, 07:57 AM
Answer300
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

stay out of the water is the best thing i can tell you. it happens to any and every car that exposed to moisture in the engine bay.

Last edited by Answer300; 06-04-07 at 07:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-04-07, 10:35 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

ya, the CEL came on for a while, i took the first two spark plugs out and sprayed air from an aircompressor in them to get rid of some moisture but it still isnt running right, after a little while of leaving it running the CEL went out but its still kinda messed up and i cant get to the other spark plugs without taking off the whole intake manifold...i hate my engine, you cant get to anything without taking it almost all the way apart
Old 06-05-07, 05:38 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

ok, i havent been able to fix it and im ready to take it to my mechanic, any last bit of advice before i do, anyone?
Old 06-05-07, 06:41 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

whn you say water, do you mean like moisture or is there coolant in there? I just got mine back because of a similar problem, turns out the TB coolant line was leaking, sending coolant into the engine. One of the cylinders was missing in the low rpms which sounds like what you're going through. Check seals gaskets etc. in , see if there is any way moisture is getting into the intake itself. Also, try using a vacuum cleaner in the combustion chamber to suck out any fluids still sitting in there.
Old 06-05-07, 08:05 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you keep getting moisture in the spark plug valley, start looking for sources. Is the rubber at the base of the windshield messed up allowing rain to drip in? As mentioned before, are your coolant lines to and from the TB leaking? If there is moisture in there, it will most likely affect plugs number 5 and 6 in the back (yes, under the TB) so you'll have to clean those.
Old 06-05-07, 10:52 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by T0ked
If you keep getting moisture in the spark plug valley, start looking for sources. Is the rubber at the base of the windshield messed up allowing rain to drip in? As mentioned before, are your coolant lines to and from the TB leaking? If there is moisture in there, it will most likely affect plugs number 5 and 6 in the back (yes, under the TB) so you'll have to clean those.
quick question about the coolant thing if i may...

why is it that coolant collects just in 5 and 6 and not the other cylinders?
Old 06-05-07, 10:56 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

it happened when i was rinsing off my engine after using degreaser, i took it to the shop and they had to take apart the throttle body and intake manifold to get to the spark plugs and he got the water out and is replacing the spark plugs
Old 06-05-07, 12:13 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rocessk3
it happened when i was rinsing off my engine after using degreaser, i took it to the shop and they had to take apart the throttle body and intake manifold to get to the spark plugs and he got the water out and is replacing the spark plugs
do not spray your engine down ,its not a civic ,you have alot more to damage
Old 06-06-07, 06:25 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

Originally Posted by sc250tt
its not a civic ,you have alot more to damage
haha alright, i'll remember that. how do you guys go about cleaning out your engine then, i got some degreaser and used that but when i rinsed it off...
Old 06-06-07, 10:30 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rocessk3
haha alright, i'll remember that. how do you guys go about cleaning out your engine then, i got some degreaser and used that but when i rinsed it off...
if its only the engine just use a rag or scrubbing brush with some degreaser and clean it .if its the whole engine bay get some garbage bags and cover the distributor and filter(if aftermarket) and try not to spray where the plugs are. spray WD40 on all the hoses etc to give it a nice new look
Old 06-06-07, 10:58 AM
ccotenj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sc250tt
spray WD40 on all the hoses etc to give it a nice new look
probably not the best idea... wd40 is a solvent... not so good on rubber hoses (you can actually use it to REMOVE rubber)...
Old 06-06-07, 01:27 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StiCk3
quick question about the coolant thing if i may...

why is it that coolant collects just in 5 and 6 and not the other cylinders?
Its just how the engine sits. Most engines in the same setup as the SC (front engine, RWD) are seated with the rear of the engine slightly lower than the front. Since the plug valley is longitudinal, most moisture and oil collects towards the rear of the engine, AKA plugs 5 and 6. You could also just park the car nose down on a hill for a long time... Not too fond of firing WD-40 everywhere either.
Old 06-06-07, 01:30 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ccotenj
probably not the best idea... wd40 is a solvent... not so good on rubber hoses (you can actually use it to REMOVE rubber)...
your probably right but ive been using it on every car i owned and never had any problems