Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Alternator issues

Old 06-01-07, 10:42 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Alternator issues

Well I just got my car back from getting the clutch and exhaust put in, and the alternator has stopped charging.

I've got a full set of Unorthodox pulleys, when I first put them on (when my stock pressure plate was all messed up and the car wasn't overly driveable) the battery light would flicker and go away when the car was revved, and I never had a problem. Tonight with the Centerforce in, the battery light was on constantly and it drained the car. The battery is brand new.

While I had the alternator off to change pulleys on it earlier in the year, I had it checked at an Advance Auto Parts and it read just fine. Did my alternator just decide to take a **** tonight? Is the underdrive really making it completely useless? Maybe I have some wiring loose?

The car's also idling at like 600 rpm. My friend with a TT Supra said he had to turn his up to ~1000 because his car wasn't charging at idle, but mine wasn't doing much good even when I was cruising at 3000 on the highway. I was two-footing it at stoplights to keep it from dying.

It's so frustrating to finally get the car back at what I thought was 100% after it being down since last September, and then have it go down on me again.

I don't know why it was working fine this morning with the bad clutch, and when I picked it up with the new clutch it wasn't charging.
Old 06-02-07, 06:47 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a write-up on alt rebuild-- it can be done for $55 to get it charging like brand new--

The only thing that needs replacing is the rectifier pack and brushes-- though you can get away with skipping the brushes-- in which case it will only cost you $40 and a little time -- The volt regulator should be good--

One thing you can do is have it tested at a parts place -- their tester will tell you if it has a bad diode/rectifier -- or a bad volt regulator-- generally though it's not the regulator or the bearings that ever go out-- just the rectifier pack--

nationsautoelectric.com carries the parts and they're knowledgeable and carry quality parts inexpensively--

Part numbers are in the write-up --

92 SC400 Alternator rebuild --
Old 06-02-07, 11:20 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Thanks man, my mom came into town today so I didn't get a chance to work on the car, but tomorrow I think I'll yank the alternator back out and have it checked.
Old 06-04-07, 01:23 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Well today I went out and popped the hood, and within a few seconds found that the ground wire had come loose.

Tightened it up and the car's charging fine again, and I've got about 130 miles on my new clutch.