Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Drive shaft 1jzgte to 94 sc300 & misc

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-07, 07:30 PM
ProjectLex
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive shaft 1jzgte to 94 sc300 & misc

First post so please be nice I hope this is in the right area.

I have a 94 sc300. Me and my mechanic are working on the 1jzgte swap. The drive shaft is the first real snag we have run into. What are you guys using? This might be a unique problem because the jag I bought the Lex from had the sc400 v8 in the sc300! It was nice to get the car for cheap, but headaches are coming now. Needless to say it didn't run well for him and that's why he sold it. I am just not sure what he swapped from the 400 and what is stock from the 300. I'm up for the challenge though.

I also want to say that this site is great. The info here is really helpful and it's nice to read from others going through the same labor pains ; ) Everytime I get frustrated I just come here and get excited about the swap all over again.

Here's some of the other snags we have hit. If anyone can address these, that would be swell. These are issues he told me about over the phone, I have not seen them myself yet. Let me know if you need more info or if something does not make sense, I will get more info from him.

- Drive shaft (yolk does not line up)

- throttle cable (a 92-96 camary tc sounds like it works best here)

- Wiring harness too short (sounds typical with this swap)

- the traction control system is different

- power steering lines need to be converted

He also mentioned problems with (maybe you're already familiar with these problems, I can't get too specific on these)

- the break fluid hose

- Air box

- Fuel lines

Thanks in advance - I will get some photos up.

Also - I am always shopping for misc parts if you guys know places other than ebay. I either need new front seats or need to reapolster the ones I have. It looks like sheepskin covers are a lot more than racing seats. I'd go stock tan leather if anyone has some. I also need door mirrors, a dash vent the ashtray etc. Just little stuff.

I was also wondering what some good fits are for replacing the stock stereo. It's a big hole to fill! Sorry for putting so much on one post, but I figured it would be better than spreading every question around the forum. Apologies to any moderators feathers I ruffle.

Last edited by ProjectLex; 06-11-07 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-04-07, 08:59 PM
ProjectLex
Lead Lap

Default Drive shaft/driveshaft

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=drive+shaft

Originally Posted by Blizzy
In addition, some driveshaft manipulation from either the SC300 or Supra driveshaft may be able to bypass the necessity of a totally custom shaft.

Originally Posted by assasin123
soarer clip on the way. its a little pricey, but probably the most complete ive found. just order a walpro, mk3 drive shaft, home depot kit for the throttle cable fix.

Originally Posted by jacobzking
both of my sc400 and sc300 had the problem where you had to really give the shifter a good push to get them fully in park. i fixed the issue on my sc300 by removing the transmission, drive shaft, brake pedal, shifter bezel, and then replacig all thos parts with ones from a 5 speed. problem solved

Just trying to help answer my own question here....... Who does a relatively cheap custom driveshaft job? This has to be sought after considering all the swaps going on. I'll bet Camry owners can't even find throttle cables for their own cars!
Old 06-05-07, 07:06 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

hey man you need a sc300 or soarer front half of the driveshaft.you have to extend the bodyplugs of the harness.you can use the v8 power steering lines you just have to use some common sense on it .forget traction control because it wont work if your car never had it .you can use the v8 throttle cable ,just remove the rubber behing the cable(by the gas pedel) fuel lines are the same and why brake fluid? you dont need to touch the brakes
Old 06-10-07, 07:33 PM
ProjectLex
Lead Lap

Thanks sc250tt - quick and to the point. The more digging I do, the more it seems like either a custom driveshaft or using the front half of the soarer or supra mk3 turbo driveshaft and back half of the sc300 are the only possible solutions for the shaft to line up to the 1jz correctly.

So now it's either search and search for the soarer DS or just get one fabricated. I'm sure the soarer shaft is not too easy to find stateside, but I will try. If anyone has any leads on that or an inexpensive, quality fabricator, I'd really appreciate a contact or link.

Last edited by ProjectLex; 06-10-07 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-11-07, 07:32 PM
ProjectLex
Lead Lap

Just an update on the throttle cable (sc250tt I appreciate your advice)

Since the cable we had was not the right fit (and who knows if it's from the 1UZ-FE or the 2JZ-GE since everything seemed to be mix/matched) I started digging for a Camry throttle cable.

I had never used the ebay "want it now" function but figured I'd give it a try. Within an hour I had 2 offers; one for $65 and one for $25. They guy I have been messaging has been great, even loading pictures to his site to make sure it was the correct length, etc.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for an option. Seems like a lot of junkyard dogs patrol that checking for possible business. You may be able to track one down for less than $25 by going to JY yourself, but I figure that price can't be beat for doing nothing other than using paypal and sitting on my *** waiting for it to come to my door. Try it if you can't find what you need in a regular search. You never know.

And just to give anyone going through this an idea; he had a 95 and a 91 and compared the two for me.

"91&95CamryCables
91 Camry casing length is 49 inches.
95 Camry casing length is 24 inches.
Cable lengths are different by 1 inch."

"95Camry L4 with cruise.
Casing length at 24.5 inches.
Cable length at 31 inches.
The cable throw is 1 inch shorter than the 91 Camry."

That's that (hopefully), now for the drive shaft........

Last edited by ProjectLex; 06-28-07 at 08:40 AM. Reason: deleting dead link
Old 06-26-07, 09:04 PM
ProjectLex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GRSC400
I just did my 1jz swap and i had to use a soarer drive shaft because my sc was originally a 400 if is a 300 you could use the same drive shaft (i think) and the shifter lined up with out a problem
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=152641&page=5

Thank you (even if "I think" has been the most definitive answer I have found)

sc250tt - thank you as well. You seem to be correct in your assessment.

My problem was that I had purchased an sc300 with a 1UZ-FE in it, so it was a bit of a unique problem. I had the sc400 driveshaft and needed the sc300 DS in order to bolt up to the 1jzgte correctly; or the soarer ds, or a custom ds. The 300 drive shaft is the most inexpensive so that's my recommendation to anyone going through this.

I am about to find one and buy one and I will update this thread once it gets in and the swap is complete.
Old 07-10-07, 12:44 AM
hybridrift
Driver

I didnt have to change my driveshaft. 1992 sc300 1jzgte swwap. hmmm. also havnt driven it yet, but everything slid right in....sooo...
Old 07-10-07, 08:54 AM
ProjectLex
Lead Lap

From the info I've gathered, the 300's DS bolts right up to the 1jz, the 400's doesn't.........At least I hope this is the the case...........
Old 08-17-07, 12:12 PM
ProjectLex
Lead Lap

Anyone going through this might find use of these manuals for wiring, etc. It's got to be the biggest pain in the a$$ of this whole process.

http://mkiv.com/manual/manualtt/term...ecm/index.html

http://mkiv.com/manual/1995_electric...ual/index.html

http://mkiv.com/manual/

http://www.jzgte.com/tech/1jzgte/1JZ...iring.v1.1.pdf

Also, get a blow off valve to extend the life of your turbo(s) Custom downpipe was purchased as well and intake. Intercooler to come.
Old 08-18-07, 02:40 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn. this looks like there is a lot of diff opinions.
Old 08-19-07, 02:35 PM
ProjectLex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xspsi6
damn. this looks like there is a lot of diff opinions.
Anything in particular you were unsure about? I'm sure it can be cleared up. The truth is out there
Old 08-24-07, 10:37 AM
MattSEG
Driver

Great thread!

I'm about to embark on this project too.
Old 10-21-07, 05:01 PM
ProjectLex
Lead Lap

Just an update. The swap is almost done. Turbos sound mean!!!!

I am just going OEM JZA70 from here to get her running.

I did buy the wrong downpipe. Do not buy this thinking it will work. The link is too old for the one I got, but it was advertised as a 1jz for the SC. Oh well. Live and learn.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1JZ-2...spagenameZWDVW

That leaves

-Fuel pump----I bought the Denso. Get at least the Walbro 255 or Supra TT pump.

-Intercooler----I am going OEM like I said for now. I'll upgrade after the winter. Just getting the stock Supra Mark III 1jzgte (JZA70) IC

-Radiator----About to buy an OEM JZA70 radiator

-Fan shroud----still shopping for a 1jz or 2jzgte fan shroud. Cheap part, but hard to find.

-Downpipe----Since I bought the wrong DP, I'm also going to get the JZA70 downpipe. Everything I've read says it hooks up to stock exhaust no prob.

I also still have a few vacuum lines that need connecting and heating core hoses. Not sure which is in, which is out. If anyone could help out with that, that would be great. Otherwise, as soon as I get those parts, it should be road ready.

Than on to interior, body, suspension, etc etc.!!!!!
Old 10-28-07, 04:21 PM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

im doing my swap right now and some comments on here might be confusing people, the complete sc300 driveshaft (m/t) dose not work with the r154. you will need the front half of the mk3 turbo (r154 tranny) to make that setup work. otherwise it just dont fit.
Old 10-28-07, 04:22 PM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

the front half of the driveshaft is what i meant^. splines are different size.